Knoxville area folks,

Have any of you attended a concert/show at the Valarium? The wife and I are looking to head down to see Social Distortion in Atlanta in Nov. I checked their website and saw that they were going to be playing in Knoxville on the 9th. Any one have any opinions of the Valarium? Their website doesnt say much about the actual venue. A few years ago we saw Bif Naked/Hinder/Default in Nashville in a warehouse type venue and didnt really care for it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Valarium is a warehouse type venue. I usually don't go for that type of place but it's not so bad. I actually like it there. The usual cloud of cigarette smoke isn't there because you can't smoke in the building. There are very few seats, unless you get there and claim a spot upstairs. They have two bars (one down and one below). They stay pretty busy and since it's mainly standing room you will be pretty close to someone else. Not my number one choice for a venue, but not worth a trip to Atlanta if it's just for the show. Again, I like it enough to continue to show up there for shows.

The Valarium is a warehouse-ish type place in the middle of nowhere, but in the middle of town, underneath the interstate. Have not been there in at least 10 years, but now that I know Social Distortian is playing there....I WILL BE THERE.

Had an offer yesterday to buy tickets for SD at the Peel in Asheville. I'm glad you posted this! :P

The Valarium isn't that fancy but it's decent enough. We went to see the Dropkick Murphys there a while back and had a great time. It is a warehouse. When I was in high school it was called the Electric Ballroom and I saw some of my first real concerts there. It had a faint urine odor, smoke so thick you couldn't see and occasionally some broken glass, but I learned what a mosh pit was and it a good time was had by all. Somehow it became a techno dance club by the time I moved back here for law school. I'm glad to see some honest-to-God rock'n'roll music being played again. It is still a warehouse, but at the DM show, the building was cleaner and nicer than I'd ever seen it before.

My daughter who attends UT was at a show there several weeks ago and is still complaining about the security people searching and hasseling her and her friend. But, beside that, I would not hesitate to go to a show there. It has changed a bit since my band played there back in the 1990s when it was The Electric Ballroom.

Guest SUNTZU

You'll be fine. There are a few from the East TN TGO contingent who go there occasionally (me included). Go have fun. Park under the bridge. There is a constant police presence outside and the bouncers are okay unless you are a drunk douchebag. There are a few tables and couches on the first floor and more of the same on the second floor. Its nicer than most "warehouse" venues. Nice laser system as well.

Most of the time its like this but with a crappy DJ.