Capt. Phil Harris last episode tonight

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate he died. Wife cried half the night over that. Was definitely sad considering he was my fave but I really think people may be surprised by his kids when they get the boat going again.

Do either of the kids have a captains license? Also, do the crab quotas pass along from generation to generation, or do they have to get in line for a quota?

Guest db99wj
Do either of the kids have a captains license? Also, do the crab quotas pass along from generation to generation, or do they have to get in line for a quota?

Not sure if they have the license yet or not, they might have to bring in another captain until they do. When he got sick last season, they brought in a friend to help out. So they do have that option if they don't have the license yet.

As far as the quota, not sure, are they all individual owner operators, or do they work for a company? I recall them talking about a strike they were a part of years back.

Not sure if they have the license yet or not, they might have to bring in another captain until they do. When he got sick last season, they brought in a friend to help out. So they do have that option if they don't have the license yet.

As far as the quota, not sure, are they all individual owner operators, or do they work for a company? I recall them talking about a strike they were a part of years back.

Sig and Edgar Hanson own the Northwestern

Andy and Johnathon own the Time Bandit

Kieth Colburn owns the Wizard by himself

Phil Harris and Cornelia Marie Collins (hence the name) own the Cornelia Marie as a partnership.

As far as the strike goes, I think that may have either been when they were all deck hands or it could have been against the "processors" who set up the prices.

Guest db99wj
Sig and Edgar Hanson own the Northwestern

Andy and Johnathon own the Time Bandit

Kieth Colburn owns the Wizard by himself

Phil Harris and Cornelia Marie Collins (hence the name) own the Cornelia Marie as a partnership.

As far as the strike goes, I think that may have either been when they were all deck hands or it could have been against the "processors" who set up the prices.

I wasn't sure if they were "owner operators" that worked for a larger corporation, like some truck drivers are. They own the equipment, but do the work for the company.

I wasn't sure if they were "owner operators" that worked for a larger corporation, like some truck drivers are. They own the equipment, but do the work for the company.

Ultimately, I guess they do since the processors set the prices and the quotas.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Ultimately, I guess they do since the processors set the prices and the quotas.

From what I've read... The quota is for the boat/company... i.e. The Cornelia Marie and her owner are responsible for catching their quota... Not just Phil Harris. I'm pretty sure it's just like "owner operators" because the Owner of the boat divvies up the money at the end of the seasons.

His son Josh was on the Tonight Show the other night and said that Capt. Phil had a 9 1/2 pack a day cig habit right after he got better from the blood clot. He said the Dr.'s told him that his lungs and heart looked fine after the clot and he just kept smoking. He said they did get him on those electronic cigs and that helped get him down to 2 packs a day before the stroke. Sad story all around.

Guest Glock23ForMe
His son Josh was on the Tonight Show the other night and said that Capt. Phil had a 9 1/2 pack a day cig habit right after he got better from the blood clot.

Check my math... But that's 190 Cigs a day... 190/24 is 7.9... So, let's call it 8... 60/8 is 7.5...

One cigarette every 7.5 minutes.... And it probably takes, what, a minute or two to smoke them? So that's 5 mins between cigs...

WOW.

Check my math... But that's 190 Cigs a day... 190/24 is 7.9... So, let's call it 8... 60/8 is 7.5...

One cigarette every 7.5 minutes.... And it probably takes, what, a minute or two to smoke them? So that's 5 mins between cigs...

WOW.

Actually it would take closer to five minutes to smoke a cigarette. Factoring in the fact that he would have to sleep at least a few hours a day, he would have been smoking non-stop.
Guest db99wj
Actually it would take closer to five minutes to smoke a cigarette. Factoring in the fact that he would have to sleep at least a few hours a day, he would have been smoking non-stop.

He probably made up for that time by having multiple cigs lit at one time.

Guest Jamie
Actually it would take closer to five minutes to smoke a cigarette.

Yeah, any faster than that and the filter would melt on the filtered ones... And for the non-filtered, the thing would probably still get too hot to hold.

Factoring in the fact that he would have to sleep at least a few hours a day, he would have been smoking non-stop.

I've had days like that. Even for that though, 6 packs was about all I would go through.

At 9-1/2 packs, I don't see where a person would get enough oxygen to even stay conscious... there wouldn't be enough time to get any air between drags off the cigarette.

J.

He probably made up for that time by having multiple cigs lit at one time.

I seem to remember one episode a few years ago when he was particularly nervous and did have two cigarettes going at once. It seems like he lit one, placed it on the ashtray for some reason, forgot about it, lit another and ended up smoking them both. I could be misremembering, though.

Maybe some of those 9 1/2 packs of cigs each day actually burned in the ashtray more than they got smoked?

Guest db99wj
I seem to remember one episode a few years ago when he was particularly nervous and did have two cigarettes going at once. It seems like he lit one, placed it on the ashtray for some reason, forgot about it, lit another and ended up smoking them both. I could be misremembering, though.

Maybe some of those 9 1/2 packs of cigs each day actually burned in the ashtray more than they got smoked?

Yes. I remember that. My dad would do that. There is one episode, and the reran a clip of it this week, where they had Phil's cameraman on there, who hates smoke, Capt Phil chased him with two lit in his mouth at the same time. It was classic!

Guest Jamie

Only if he's smoking something other than American-made cigs... 'cause ours are now made so they go out if they're left unattended.

It's most aggravating, 'cause the damn things are hard to keep lit even while you're smoking 'em.

The end result of this, btw, is that a person can actually end up smoking more, not less, due to fewer cigs burning up when they're left sit in the ashtray.

J.

Guest db99wj
Just so I'm clear that my TiVo didn't screw me over:

The first hour was the regular Deadliest Catch show and the second hour was After the Catch. It wasn't 2 hours of Deadliest Catch, right?

Well it was a "regular" show, but it coincided during the time that he just died. There were segments at the hospital, of the boys and what not throughout the first hour. It is definitely something you don't want to miss because it was part of the tribute. If you missed it, they will play it before the new episode this next week, which happens to be the season finale.

The second hour was as sad as well. It was very hard to watch, I teared up multiple times. My dad died at 59 and was similar to Capt Phil in many ways. That dry, sarcastic, "just to screw with you sense of humor" was very similar to my dad. When my dad was in the hospital, the whole ice chip thing was just like my dad when he was in the hospital. After major surgery, my dad got better, then took a turn for the worse. The similarities between the two are eerie and it was a strange emotional event for me last night because of this.