Bedside Pistol Safe?

I'm looking for a bedside pistol safe. It will be on my nightstand and in theory should be able to open it in complete darkness. I've heard good things about the gunvault brand, but reviews aren't so good on them. Anyone have any experience with gunvaults or other brands? Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stay away from any type of safe to have a weapon for quick access. The process of opening any safe under stress/duress/attack from a dead sleep is ... Well, not a good thing. I would go another route but that's my view on the subject.

Guest 70below

I don't personally have one, but I've heard good things about GunVault too, despite some negative reviews. If you have the need to use one, I suggest practice practice practice, both so you don't fumble if you need it in a hurry, and so you can verify reliable operation of the safe, just as you would your weapon.

Guest Lester Weevils

Mine is a different (obsolete) brand, of the same type as the V-line 5-button mechanical pushbutton-lock safes. Quick to operate, solidly made, no batteries. Mine is over 10 years old, operated almost every day, mechanism works good as new.

I've seen small electronic pistol safes on store display that were broken and unfunctional just from customer shop wear. Does not inspire confidence. Is a pushbutton switch gonna be corroded when you need the pistol at 3 am? Is the battery gonna be dead and you have to hunt up the key?

Mechanical lock has some advantages.

Cabela's -- V-Line Top Draw Pistol Safe

s7_223551_imageset_02?$main-Large$

Cabela's -- V-Line Hide-Away Pistol Safe

s7_230101_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

I have to agree with Darrel. You can keep a gun safe or you can keep a gun accessable. You can't have both. I keep my pistol safe during the day when I'm at work and in my bedside table at night. There is nothing wrong with getting a little pistol safe if you have kids or if you feel you need one. I'm just saying...........

Both the V Line and GunVault brand pistol safes are dependable, but both have limitations just like any other safe. The GunVault is the best for quick access, the hand print on top can be felt in the dark and is easy to open even in the dark from a dead sleep. The V Line is easy to open but its door is not spring loaded like the GunVault door. Both can be bolted down, but are not very secure like a regular gun safe, they are more of a box than a safe. I have sold hundreds of both brands and have had good feedback from customers on both, but the Gun Vault is more popular. Here is a link to another brand pistol safe that is made in the US and functions well, 9g Products - Product Information If you have any questions contact us at The Safe House, we would be happy to answer any other questions.

We keep all of the above mentioned safes in stock.

MB