Any1 here a reserve Sheriffs Deputy?

Really love the idea of LE. Just applied and probably have a fairly good chance of getting on @ my S.O. Anyone familiar with the basic traning requirements for Sheriffs Reserve? I know it will vary but in general what can I expect?

Edited by adamween
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

They like you to be able to be at least decent at things like spelling, capitalization, syntax, punctuation, etc. Things that reflect English as a primary language.

I'm not sure about your neck of the woods, but the Shelby Co S.O. reserves go through a full academy that has the exact same curriculum as the full timers. The only difference is that, instead of going Monday through Friday, they go Tues & Thurs from 6p-10p and all day Saturday for about 6 months. It ends up being somewhere around 500 hours by the time they're finished. The state doesn't require that much training for reserve or part time LE, but that's SCSO policy. IIRC, the state only requires 80 hours of training for reserve / part-time.

I would have to double check but I believe P.O.S.T. mandates initial 80 hours of training for any reserve law enforcement officer. Most departments require more than this. You will have the same authority as paid officer but your status for going armed under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act is still a gray area. They are working on a bill to add part time and reserve officers for carrying nationwide. Check you PM for more detailed advice.

You will have the same authority as paid officer but your status for going armed under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act is still a gray area. They are working on a bill to add part time and reserve officers for carrying nationwide.

You might find this of interest.

http://tennessee.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2005/op/op29.pdf

Most reserve / part-time LE qualifies without a doubt for LEOSA. I didn't realize it was a gray area for them.