Remington 770 or Mossberg 100 ATR

kb4ns

I'm looking for a decent entry-level deer rifle (under $400 out the door). Been looking at the Remington 770 and the Mossberg 100 ATR. Anyone have a recommendation of one of them over the other? Or care to recommend another rifle in the same price range?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard some negative things about the ATR. Remington 700 rifles are good solid performers. I'd look at Savage and see what they have. Every one I've owned has been great and they are high value guns. The accutrigger is the best stock trigger I've felt on an entry level rifle.

Guest Conrad

Marlin XL7 or Savage Edge would be my recommendation over the 770 or Mossberg. I have an Marlin XL7 in 270 and is a solid rifle that shoots sub moa with hand loads. The Remington 770 barrel is pressed in the receiver not threaded.

Here is a group i fired with My XL7 at 100 yards. This was not a fluke or luck this rifle will shoot like this all day long.

022100141901.jpg

Edited by Conrad
Marlin XL7 or Savage Edge would be my recommendation over the 770 or Mossberg. I have an Marlin XL7 in 270 and is a solid rifle that shoots sub moa with hand loads. The Remington 770 barrel is pressed in the receiver not threaded.

That's probably a real good call. Looks like my 700 too

pretty sure a stevens (savage) would be my route for a budget deer gun. I had a remington 770 and it worked great but build wise it wasn't much the cheapest new gun i can recomend from hands on play is stevens.

did i mention STEVENS

Edited by fastbs

Here is a group i fired with My XL7 at 100 yards. This was not a fluke or luck this rifle will shoot like this all day long.

022100141901.jpg

Can't do better than that. I'm a Marlin fan anyway.

I think Savage or Stevens is your best bet. The 770 and ATR 100 are a little cheap made . I've got a ATR and its a good shooter and handles good. But its a little cheap in some areas. I don't like the follower and follower spring and the extractor is a little fragile too.

Great help in this thread. I ended up trading a Glock for a Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag. Heck of a stout round. The gun seems quite smooth and I think that with the right (heavy) ammo, it'll make a good deer gun. Thanks again for all the input.

Guest Conrad

excellent choice you can anything you need to do with a 300 mag. but i would not use to heavy of a bullet if your gun is synthetic i promise it will kick the crap out of you. a wood one will not be as bad but the recoil is still quite stiff.

excellent choice you can anything you need to do with a 300 mag. but i would not use to heavy of a bullet if your gun is synthetic i promise it will kick the crap out of you. a wood one will not be as bad but the recoil is still quite stiff.

Yep, that's gonna leave a mark :D

Guest Conrad
Yep, that's gonna leave a mark :D

Yep I had some Berger 210grain Vlds loaded for mine for shooting long range and believe me even in a 12 pound rifle they would get your attention

I guess I better quit scaring kb4ns or he will trade it before he even shoots his new gun...lol

But for real You should be just fine with the 300 win mag. I would suggest shooting it off hand a few times just to get used to the recoil and trigger.

Edited by Conrad

My 2nd cousing brought his 8 month old 770 in 308 over here last week to change the stock out. The sling mounts are formed into the stock and feel and look cheap and easily broken. Well guess what, his were broken. Remington did send him a new stock. So after he gets here I start in chastising the boy (24) for not taking care of said gun and not cleaning it. So after I remove the old stock I start cleaning it. As I ran the brush down the barrel from the crown, it got loose about 1 1/2 inches down and tightened back up after approx 1/2 inch. I took my bore light and looked in, it appeared to be bulged. I the took my micrometer and mic'ed the barrel. Sure enough there was approx 0.022 bulge in the barrel an inch and a half down. Well he called Remington and he sent it back to them. I will post what happens next with it. Kyle DID NOT shoot anything but standard pressure factory ammo, doenst remember ever having any clogging or debris in the barrel.

So would I ever buy a 770? Probably not, unless it was used, in good condiition and less than $100. Just my 0.02.

My 2nd cousing brought his 8 month old 770 in 308 over here last week to change the stock out. The sling mounts are formed into the stock and feel and look cheap and easily broken. Well guess what, his were broken. Remington did send him a new stock. So after he gets here I start in chastising the boy (24) for not taking care of said gun and not cleaning it. So after I remove the old stock I start cleaning it. As I ran the brush down the barrel from the crown, it got loose about 1 1/2 inches down and tightened back up after approx 1/2 inch. I took my bore light and looked in, it appeared to be bulged. I the took my micrometer and mic'ed the barrel. Sure enough there was approx 0.022 bulge in the barrel an inch and a half down. Well he called Remington and he sent it back to them. I will post what happens next with it. Kyle DID NOT shoot anything but standard pressure factory ammo, doenst remember ever having any clogging or debris in the barrel.

So would I ever buy a 770? Probably not, unless it was used, in good condiition and less than $100. Just my 0.02.

Wow. I knew the 770s were cheap, but that's not what I expected from Remington. really happy I went with a better rifle.