carrying in polling place

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my regular polling place is in a school so thats out. I've never seen a sign at the early voting places. I don't THINK libraries are off limit by statute...and I don't remember seeing a sign

Isn't it funny you have to wonder about one of your constitutional rights being in direct conflicit with another.

Where I would go is the county offices in Halls. Same building as where I pay property tax, get vehicle registration and drivers license. I do not recall if it is posted or not there. Guess I will find out when I get there, heh.

Thanks for the response Mars

Guest Tombstone
Libraries are definitely not prohibited locations. But some do post signs.

I may be wrong and if I am, please let me know. If the Library is run by a local municipality, would that not make it illegal to carry there? I may be way out in left field but I always assumed that was the case with public libraries. (that they were operated by the local government.)

I would like to be wrong on this one as it will mean there is another place that I can carry that I thought I couldn't.:eek:

Municipal ownership of the property does not make it off limits to carry. Municipalities still have to post unless it is a prohibited property under state law, such as a school, courtroom while court is in session, or place that serves alcohol for consumption.

I was library board chairman in Sullivan county up until a few months ago. The only county library in this county where you can not carry is Sullivan Gardens and that is because that one sits on school property. Bristol, Tennessee does legally .post. Last time I checked, Kingsport posts, but not according to Tennessee Code. In Tennessee, libraries must post.

The problem is that people think you can not carry in municipally owned buildings. That's just incorrect. Except for the few places mentioned in state code, you can carry in publicly owned buildings, unless they are posted.

News Video of what happened to a man who carried openly to a polling place in Pennsylvania. The local sheriff revoked his carry permit. Turns out he was within his rights and he got his permit back, but the authorities did not like it.

[ame]

[/ame]
Guest Tombstone
Municipal ownership of the property does not make it off limits to carry. Municipalities still have to post unless it is a prohibited property under state law, such as a school, courtroom while court is in session, or place that serves alcohol for consumption.

I was library board chairman in Sullivan county up until a few months ago. The only county library in this county where you can not carry is Sullivan Gardens and that is because that one sits on school property. Bristol, Tennessee does legally .post. Last time I checked, Kingsport posts, but not according to Tennessee Code. In Tennessee, libraries must post.

The problem is that people think you can not carry in municipally owned buildings. That's just incorrect. Except for the few places mentioned in state code, you can carry in publicly owned buildings, unless they are posted.

Thank you for clearing that up. And since you were on the board you have the inside information. I am pleased to be corrected. LOL

I do have another question that you may be able to answer. I live here in Maryville and there is a park called the Green belt. It is basically a place for people to walk, run, ride their bikes, etc.

I do believe that it is maintained by the local government, so to be on the safe side, I have assumed that I should not carry there. The sad thing is that in the twenty seven years that I have lived here, I have never seen a LEO in the park. So no-one is protected.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Although I agree with him carrying anywhere legal, it shows you that when you exercise your rights and people in power dont like it , they will try to change those rights. Discretion may serve better.

Guest Tombstone

In the video it stated that if everyone that voted carried their weapon when they voted that we would look like a third world country.

Well maybe we need to back up before we can go forward.

I wish I could have a one on one conversation with the sheriff. He said that "just because it is legal to carry, sometimes it is just un-necessary." I would have to ask him "Is the law not the law?" If it is then he needs to abide by it just like the rest of us.

I think that I may have had too much coffe this morning. LOL

Carrying in a poll is one thing actually getting to vote is another. Freakin morons here in Knox County can't keep a computer system working, Why do we need computerized voting anyway?

So I go to vote. Polling place is moved. Find new polling place and computers are down. Old geezer types ( no offense meant Mars) running the show are absolutley clueless abotu what to do. Then they decide you fill out this piece of paper and they will verify info later when the computers work. Well no that is not right either, your precint needs to be verified first. Some older than dirt befuddled geezer, ( again no offense meant Mars) is working this palm pilot thing. Holding it at an arms length as he attempts to jab at the screen with the little prodding thing. Clearly he did not know how to use it, I doubt he could even focus on the screen. Then he says, I need to call someone to see how to use this.

I crumbled up my piece of paper and left.

Thanks for listening, rant off!

I do have another question that you may be able to answer. I live here in Maryville and there is a park called the Green belt. It is basically a place for people to walk, run, ride their bikes, etc.

I do believe that it is maintained by the local government, so to be on the safe side, I have assumed that I should not carry there. The sad thing is that in the twenty seven years that I have lived here, I have never seen a LEO in the park. So no-one is protected.

As I read the law, you may legally carry there if it is not posted, but the Attorney General can't understand Tennessee code and has an opinion that says that you can not carry in an unposted municipal park. He is clearly wrong but that doesn't mean the cops will be able to understand that.

Guest Tombstone

The frustrating thing is that if you do carry and get caught there is the probability that you could lose your permit; like the video showed. And around here, I am not sure that the judge would be as understanding.

But if you don't carry, then you risk running into a thug that wants to do you physical harm. Like I said before, I haven't seen a police officer there, ever. I guess I will carry and hope for the best.

I thought the law said you can't carry in a building owned by the local, county, state, or federal government period including the county office building as you stated earlier? Am I wrong by saying this? I'm getting two different answers here. I just want to be on the safe side when I go vote later this year. :)

I thought the law said you can't carry in a building owned by the local, county, state, or federal government period including the county office building as you stated earlier? Am I wrong by saying this? I'm getting two different answers here. I just want to be on the safe side when I go vote later this year. :)

Yes, you are wrong. Read the code.

The frustrating thing is that if you do carry and get caught there is the probability that you could lose your permit; like the video showed. And around here, I am not sure that the judge would be as understanding.

But if you don't carry, then you risk running into a thug that wants to do you physical harm. Like I said before, I haven't seen a police officer there, ever. I guess I will carry and hope for the best.

You would think that the TFA would be screaming bloody hell about this - wouldn't you?

Yes, you are wrong. Read the code.

Okay I think you are right about this one. I read it again, and what I get from it is any building that is owned by a municipality, county, or state for recreational purposes only is where you cannot carry. Since the county building is not a recreational area/building, it is okay to carry unless it is posted. Am I correct on saying this? Speaking of recreational areas/buildings, what about bowling alleys and skating centers/rinks? Are those legal places to carry unless they are posted or serve alcohol for consumption on site? I would appreciate another reply on both questions. :)

Guest Kingfish
Okay I think you are right about this one. I read it again, and what I get from it is any building that is owned by a municipality, county, or state for recreational purposes only is where you cannot carry. Since the county building is not a recreational area/building, it is okay to carry unless it is posted. Am I correct on saying this? Speaking of recreational areas/buildings, what about bowling alleys and skating centers/rinks? Are those legal places to carry unless they are posted or serve alcohol for consumption on site? I would appreciate another reply on both questions. :)

39-17-1311

...in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

Now this is of course the MUCH disputed statute that lists all kinds of weapons EXCEPT handguns. But you can bet your butt that you can be charged with it.

I tried to get Molonlabetn to be a test case but he wouldn't go for it.