Is it worth it? (1911 sale or upgrade)

kesava

I have a RIA 1911 commander (midsize). It is a FANTASTIC gun!

But, I want to get some new night sights on it, and I would like to get an extended slide release.

So $100 bucks for the sights and $60 for installation at guns and leather and $30 for the slide release.

$200+ for me to get it to where I want it to be. for now.

I paid $430 for the gun. now with these items, its a $630 gun. albeit, mine and customized.

But, should I be able to sell the gun for $370, add the same +$200 for a total of $570, I can get into another 1911 with more bells and whistles.

Now, the RIA has been FLAWLESS in function and 'smack yo mama' accurate. 20 yards is a cakewalk for this weapon. If I get the next gun, there is the 300 round range minimum before I will carry or trust it.

Would you

A: Invest in the night sights, slide release and labor and allow your gun to be gone for 3 weeks and hold yourself in the fetal position until your baby is back? AND you miss out on checkered grips, crisper trigger and comfier grip safety.

B: Try to sell the gun and get the other weapon when it sells. Hoping and praying that you don't have a night time encounter. You could hit center mass, maybe... in the dark.

C: Buy the next one anyways. Who cares what your wife thinks whilst going into debt because you spent $200 on Fiocchi 200gr HP .45 ammo that you're hiding at your buddies house. Not to mention, the 300 rounds I will also need to run through, trips to range, more accessories, ooh look- I need this (random unneeded part) purchases. Someone will eventually buy the RIA.... right?

Help me out fellas. What would you do. FYI, Glow in the dark paint is not an option.

Edited by kesava
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a RIA 1911 commander (midsize). It is a FANTASTIC gun!

But, I want to get some new night sights on it, and I would like to get an extended slide release.

So $100 bucks for the sights and $60 for installation at guns and leather and $30 for the slide release.

$200+ for me to get it to where I want it to be. for now.

I paid $430 for the gun. now with these items, its a $630 gun. albeit, mine and customized.

But, should I be able to sell the gun for $370, add the same +$200 for a total of $570, I can get into another 1911 with more bells and whistles.

Now, the RIA has been FLAWLESS in function and 'smack yo mama' accurate. 20 yards is a cakewalk for this weapon. If I get the next gun, there is the 300 round range minimum before I will carry or trust it.

Would you

A: Invest in the night sights, slide release and labor and allow your gun to be gone for 3 weeks and hold yourself in the fetal position until your baby is back? AND you miss out on checkered grips, crisper trigger and comfier grip safety.

B: Try to sell the gun and get the other weapon when it sells. Hoping and praying that you don't have a night time encounter. You could hit center mass, maybe... in the dark.

C: Buy the next one anyways. Who cares what your wife thinks whilst going into debt because you spent $200 on Fiocchi 200gr HP .45 ammo that you're hiding at your buddies house. Not to mention, the 300 rounds I will also need to run through, trips to range, more accessories, ooh look- I need this (random unneeded part) purchases. Someone will eventually buy the RIA.... right?

Help me out fellas. What would you do. FYI, Glow in the dark paint is not an option.

Not to nitpick, but my issue is what I put in red. Night sights are great and all, but really if it's too dark to see your sights (as in your example), isn't it really too dark to properly identify your target? Either way, I don't know of any commander sized 1911 with your specs for under $600.

Not to nitpick, but my issue is what I put in red. Night sights are great and all, but really if it's too dark to see your sights (as in your example), isn't it really too dark to properly identify your target? Either way, I don't know of any commander sized 1911 with your specs for under $600.

Tall male figure not identifying himself as police or fire department climbing through a broken window, or kicked in door, entering into my home at 3am. There is nothing to negotiate or think about - that's a properly identified target. Castle Law. Now, low profile GI sights, adrenaline pumping, I can see his silhouette coming at me.... lining up those small sights isn't something I want to be huge factor in my next move. I could be wrong, but that's another thread in a different category.

I want it to be as easy as possible.

And you are nitpicking, without the courtesy of helping with a productive response, IMO. I may be a bit cranky and over sensitive.

For the record, there are 3 1911's that I can buy at this time for $600 bucks that fits. One happens to be a nice name but if I deliberate to long the chance will be gone. but $200 is a big expenditure on leisurely items when you have two small children. So I have to make these choices wisely and informed.

Don't sell it because you will not be able to get the $570. Not when new ones are in the $425 range. Most people don't take upgrades into consideration, all they see is a RIA 1911. If you did want to sell it I would break it down and put it back all the factory parts then sell all your upgrades seperately. And honestly for $570 how much more weapon could you really get. Springfields are made overseas as well and anything better than them are well beyond the $570 range unless you buy used.

Personally if it shoots as well as you say and is as reliable then I would keep it and upgrade it to your liking. There is very few external parts that you couldn't install yourself. The slide release is a drop in part. Most shops I have dealt with will install sights "while you wait" because it is a quick buck for them.

Night sights are overated and unless you live alone you will have trouble identifying a bad guy if it is dark enough for you to need to use your night sights. I would advise against getting both front and rear night sights if you do decide you need them. I had both front and rear and found myself getting confused as to which was the front sight of the 3 dots I saw. Once I went to a front only it was a cake walk, after all you should be concentrating on your front sight anyways.

Dolomite

Don't sell it because you will not be able to get the $570. Not when new ones are in the $425 range. Most people don't take upgrades into consideration, all they see is a RIA 1911. If you did want to sell it I would break it down and put it back all the factory parts then sell all your upgrades seperately. And honestly for $570 how much more weapon could you really get. Springfields are made overseas as well and anything better than them are well beyond the $570 range unless you buy used.

Personally if it shoots as well as you say and is as reliable then I would keep it and upgrade it to your liking. There is very few external parts that you couldn't install yourself. The slide release is a drop in part. Most shops I have dealt with will install sights "while you wait" because it is a quick buck for them.

Night sights are overated and unless you live alone you will have trouble identifying a bad guy if it is dark enough for you to need to use your night sights. I would advise against getting both front and rear night sights if you do decide you need them. I had both front and rear and found myself getting confused as to which was the front sight of the 3 dots I saw. Once I went to a front only it was a cake walk, after all you should be concentrating on your front sight anyways.

Dolomite

Thanks Dolo for the info. I too considered the front site only, and that's what I would like once I can find them.

There is an American Classic (similar to yours) with night sights and some other enhancements for $590 right now,

My buddy has offered to sell me his Kimber for $720. (He will take $600 :D

And I have considered going full size since I only carry the 1911 during winter or use it as a nightstand gun. I would take an RIA tactical and add the night sights and have all of the creature features, plus some cash to pay for a bobtail.

But all of the drop in parts really start pushing the cost due to shipping and fitting.

I could be off base, and I appreciate your feedback.

Guest Plainsman

I would keep the RIA. You know it functions flawlessly, is accurate, and that you can shoot it well. As they say, beware of the man with one gun as he shoots it well. Maybe take that ammo stock and start working on some flashlight work. As already stated, don't go shooting at things you can't see. Possibly invest in a laser if you're that worried about sight picture. I certainly wouldn't go in debt for another gun, but saving for your next gun with all the "bells and whistles" wouldn't take you too terribly long. Sell some things you don't ever use around the house.

As far as the night sights go, I think that the Outpost will install your sights for free if you purchase the sights from them. I had mine installed there on my Glock and wasn't charged a fee for the installation. The price for the sights wasn't half bad either. And if the funds are really bare, I guess you could just buy a nice front sight post instead of the whole set.

I would keep the RIA. You know it functions flawlessly, is accurate, and that you can shoot it well. As they say, beware of the man with one gun as he shoots it well. Maybe take that ammo stock and start working on some flashlight work. As already stated, don't go shooting at things you can't see. Possibly invest in a laser if you're that worried about sight picture. I certainly wouldn't go in debt for another gun, but saving for your next gun with all the "bells and whistles" wouldn't take you too terribly long. Sell some things you don't ever use around the house.

As far as the night sights go, I think that the Outpost will install your sights for free if you purchase the sights from them. I had mine installed there on my Glock and wasn't charged a fee for the installation. The price for the sights wasn't half bad either. And if the funds are really bare, I guess you could just buy a nice front sight post instead of the whole set.

Yup, i do have a lot of crap that I don't use.

I was told today by the gunsmith and G&L that just installing the front sight could make me shoot low. I am calling Outpost on Monday to see how much they charge. I would certainly like to keep what I have. Thanks buddy! sound advice!

Guest Plainsman

I was told today by the gunsmith and G&L that just installing the front sight could make me shoot low.

This may be true, but whats the probability of shooting at a distance for the scenario you're speaking of? Pretty low. More than likely in the situation your talking about, you'd put the front sight on the target and press...Just a thought until you could purchase the rear post at a later date.

This may be true, but whats the probability of shooting at a distance for the scenario you're speaking of? Pretty low. More than likely in the situation your talking about, you'd put the front sight on the target and press...Just a thought until you could purchase the rear post at a later date.

Indeed.

A gun that you have complete confidence in is worth far more than what someone would pay for it. No matter what the price. If you sell it you will regret it. I would do the upgrades. There are a lot of people out there with nice shiny guns that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Keep it, do the changes/upgrades yourself and don't sweat it.

IMO, if you can't make a COM hit at 30-21ft on in on index alone then you need practice ammo more than any new parts and just need to make it to the range more often... Night sights or no night sights isn't anywhere near a make-or-break issue, besides, data overwhelmingly shows that in most shooting incidents shooters can't even remember seeing the sights anyways. What works is practice, practice, practice.

These days with access to YouTube and Google and all the forums it's pretty surprising what you can figure out on your own if you just pay attention to detail and go slow, no reason you can't add to your pistol on your own if you put your mind to it and use commen sense. Those are easy upgrades requiring nothing more than maybe a hammer , a small block of wood, and maybe a vise, IMO I'd look into doing it yourself a little deeper and use the gunsmith for jobs that are truly over your head and really require a pro's expertise.

If you've got a good piece that runs good and that you trust, then sometimes it's a better idea to put some more work into the Indian instead of the arrow.

Keep it, do the changes/upgrades yourself and don't sweat it.

IMO, if you can't make a COM hit at 30-21ft on in on index alone then you need practice ammo more than any new parts and just need to make it to the range more often... Night sights or no night sights isn't anywhere near a make-or-break issue, besides, data overwhelmingly shows that in most shooting incidents shooters can't even remember seeing the sights anyways. What works is practice, practice, practice.

These days with access to YouTube and Google and all the forums it's pretty surprising what you can figure out on your own if you just pay attention to detail and go slow, no reason you can't add to your pistol on your own if you put your mind to it and use commen sense. Those are easy upgrades requiring nothing more than maybe a hammer , a small block of wood, and maybe a vise, IMO I'd look into doing it yourself a little deeper and use the gunsmith for jobs that are truly over your head and really require a pro's expertise.

If you've got a good piece that runs good and that you trust, then sometimes it's a better idea to put some more work into the Indian instead of the arrow.

Thanks! I am going to raise money and buy another. Keep the one I have and if the other sells then awesome. If it doesn't then thats ok too!