I want to reload

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude....I thought we had this discussion.

I can get us Redding Dies for the 458 for 68 plus 5 dollars shipping. Case gauges made from the stubs of the barrels as they make them are 25.00. I'll shoot you a PM. Ordering mine this week. I can make it a X2 if you want.

I can get you that and send you a smaller check for that other item we discussed. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you some load data to look over.

Redding458dies.jpg

Edited by Rightwinger
What is the "shellplate" and is there one for the 458?

Or do I need it?

Shell plate/ shell holder holds the brass on the ram. One usually comes with the die set, but if some progressive presses like the Dillon 550 have their own design, and you'd have to find out what to use from the press maker. Rightwinger will know for sure, but a 45 APC might work.

What is the "shellplate" and is there one for the 458?

Or do I need it?

Yes, you will need either a shellholder(for a single stage or turret press) or a shellplate(for a progressive press). According to Hornady's site you would use shellplate #1 for the SOCOM. If you do get the LnL AP instead of the single stage remember that there are other things you'll need that don't come with the AP but do come with the single stage kit- powder scale, manual, primer flipper tray, chamfer/deburring tool, and case lube at a minimum. Once you reload for a little while you will realize just how much more stuff you "need".;)

Here is a quick list of the tools and supplies you will need. This list is geared toward single stage presses, you may not need a couple of these items if you go progressive-

Minimum-

Press

Dies

Shellholder(Lee dies come with a shellholder, others don't)

Chamfer/Deburring tool

Primer pocket cleaner

Some method of priming(I prefer to hand prime)

Reloading manual

Scale

Case lube

Powder

Primers

Brass

Bullets

Calipers

Powder funnel

Recommended-

Powder measure

Powder trickler

Case tumbler

Reloading trays

Micrometer

Ammo boxes

Bullet puller

The list goes on and on if you really get into handloading. I would tell you how much I've got in my equipment, but I really, really don't want to add it up.;)

The list goes on and on if you really get into handloading. I would tell you how much I've got in my equipment, but I really, really don't want to add it up.;)

Please don't total it up. Some of us told our wives we would save money if they let us start reloading...

What do I need to reload .458 SOCOM

What items do I need to buy to get going on my on loads.

Just the bare items to get my by.

;)

Jeff...if you want to run through some 9MM or some .45 first....let me know.

I was thinking that you already reloaded, for some reason.

Anyway, I need to make some .45 in the next couple of days, so, you are more than welcome to come get a little "sperience".

Let me know.