Cub Scout Uniforms

kb4ns

My parents, who pretty much raise my two nephews (ages 6 and 8), are getting them into scouts. I think it's a great thing for the boys as both my sister and her estranged husband are completely worthless to say the least. My parent's ain't "well-off" by any means and are having a fun enough time coming up with the $100 total initiation fee for both boys. My parents asked the troop staff if the troop had a supply of used uniforms that other boys grew out of and were told that they don't (which I thought was odd - seems like I remember that being a common thing way back when I was a scout). Anyways, they're looking at about $100 for each boy in uniforms, too, if they buy the stuff new at the Scout Shop here in Memphis. I've looked at eBay, but from what I've seen, most of the uniforms on there are going for about the same price as new ones. :-\

I'm trying to help them get the boys started out as much as I can, but lately I've found myself selling off half of what I own to keep my household afloat.

So does anyone happen to know of a place around Memphis or a website that sells used or discounted scout uniforms? Also, if you have a stash, PM me and I'd be more than happy to give you a fair price and pay shipping if you have what the boys need. :up:

Edited by Bronker
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

I'll send you $100 to buy a uniform.

Somebody step up and pay for the other. Another fellow Scout...like me!

It's a good thing they are doing. Praise God for those still willing to intervene in the lives of young men.

PM me an address, Jon.

Holy crap, Bronk! Not what I was expecting, but it is VERY much appreciated!

Also, to fix an error in my OP, I've been on the phone with my mom and I was mistaken, the initiation is $100 total, not each, but still a good chunk.

Guest Bronker
...Not what I was expecting, but it is VERY much appreciated!

Seems like someone you know, did something nice for me not too long ago as a random act of kindness. What goes around...comes around, brother.

Also, to fix an error in my OP, I've been on the phone with my mom and I was mistaken, the initiation is $100 total, not each, but still a good chunk.

Fixed it for you.

And if it's all the same, I would like that $100 to go for the initiation fee.

Someone step up and lets get these boys uniforms.

Thanks GGP! I think I'm going to be able to help them by covering the initiation dues. My mother is beside herself right now. Of course, I had to explain what a forum was before I could explain how awesome you guys are! :D

Holy crap, Bronk! Not what I was expecting, but it is VERY much appreciated!

Reckon I oughta checked this thread again...:D

Sounds like the boys uniforms are covered in any event. Are they all set for books/ tools/ etc?

Guest Bronker
Whoops, Bronk. I posted before seeing your request that it go for initiation fees. Then I'll try to cover one of the uniforms!

No, man. You just cash the check and get them whatever they need. Totally trust your judgment.

Check written. In mail in the morning.

Guest Bronker
Reckon I oughta checked this thread again...:D

Sounds like the boys uniforms are covered in any event. Are they all set for books/ tools/ etc?

Fee is covered for both boys.

kb4ns is covering one uniform.

Anonymous TGO'er covering the other.

Great job guys!

Edited by Bronker

The other uniform fee has been covered by a TGOer who wished to remain in the shadows! :D

You guys totally rock! Thank you all SO much. You have no idea what a burden you have lifted from my parents!

Now to get them boys outfitted and get some pictures posted up on here!! :)

Guest Bronker

Blessings, extended, will never return void. I know this family appreciates it.

Will love to see a photo of them in their crisp new uniforms!

:D

Good job, guys.

Bravo:clap:

Guest Glock23ForMe
Everything covered so far, Jon?

Do post whatever else they might need.

For sure, I wouldn't be able to do a ton, but I could find enough for a book or two, and such.

They don't have to have complete uniforms, or really any uniform to participate. but it looks like that point is moot now.

The book seems to be the most important part of the deal at first. Gotta have one.

I ain't a Cub Scout but I am Akela. Very worthwhile.

The quick generosity of this community never ceases to amaze me.

You aren't kiddin' Bronk!

My folks said that when they went by the scout shop to price uniforms, they went ahead and got the boys their books so they could get started, so they're covered there. With the cash I came up with and the money sent to my PayPal account from the anonymous member, I'm going to go with my father to get their uniform stuff when I get home from work. That should more than cover the shirts, patches, neckerchiefs, slides, and caps. Bronker, I'll let your check go for their initiation dues. It oughta be here by their meeting next week.

Thanks again y'all! I'll keep you guys updated! :D

One other question for any of you guys with kids or grandkids in cub scouts - Is it ok if they wear the short sleeve uniform shirt with a long sleeve navy blue undershirt in the winter? IIRC, it was okay when I was in, but I know things change. Thanks.

Guest db99wj
One other question for any of you guys with kids or grandkids in cub scouts - Is it ok if they wear the short sleeve uniform shirt with a long sleeve navy blue undershirt in the winter? IIRC, it was okay when I was in, but I know things change. Thanks.

I think, not 100%, it's fine. Scout can't be prepared if they are freezing their cubs off.

I think it is okay, in my grandson's pack they seem more concerned with the boys participating rather than making a big deal over some uniform issue. Kind of like tonight, there is an outdoor pack meeting, the boy will be dressed for the weather.