Thinking about a new Kahr for CCW

Guest slow ride

Guest slow ride

I'm considering a new Kahr for carry, but I have a few questions for anyone with experience with them.

I really want a K9, but because of the price, I'm looking at the CW9, and P9. I still may get a K9, but I don't know the differences in the P9, and CW9.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I'm considering a new Kahr for carry, but I have a few questions for anyone with experience with them.

I really want a K9, but because of the price, I'm looking at the CW9, and P9. I still may get a K9, but I don't know the differences in the P9, and CW9.

Difference between CW9 and P9: http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_cw.html. Click on the CW vs KP link underneath the picture.

Guest TargetShooter84

I did get handed a Kahr P9 while looking at it, it was nice and i liked the way it fit my hand but it was the price that kinda made me look in other direction but i would recommend that though....JMO

I have had 3 different Kahrs. P9, PM9 and P45. I have been very pleased with all 3 in their function and reliability. Thr P45 is my current ccw. Follow the link that bkelm18 posted and you can find some good info. Click on the word specifications under the pic and it gives you side by side comparison of the T9, P9, CW9, and PM9.

If you read the thread that Urse posted, the general consensus is that the failure was caused by a blocked barrel. Sounds like the gun did its job by blowing apart in the barrel instead of the frame. The shooter still has all his fingers.

The Rabbi has a nice cw9 and cw45 in his shop. He has a nice price on them also.

Guest m4coyote

The Kahr in the above mentioned thread at Glocktalk seemed to have been damaged due to a full power round being fired after a squib load lodged a bullet near the end of the barrel. I don't know of many autopistols, polymer frame or not, that would not be damaged by this scenario. Lets wait for the factory to weigh in their opinion on this one before we say that polymer Kahr guns are prone to KB.:D

The P9 and K9 pistols come with polygonal rifled match grade barrels, and they can accept night sights. The CW series pistols have a conventionally rifled barrel and proprietary sights. Those factors would be enough to sway my opinion in favor of the P9 or K9, but it may not be important to you.

Weekend before last, I just purchased my first Kahr - a PM9, and it is the smallest, lightest, most accurate subcompact pistol that I have ever had the pleasure of firing. I wish I were able to post pics of my targets fired at 10 yards with this little gem. On my last target, all but four or five rounds out of twenty four went into a single ragged hole.

I purchased the PM9 because there is simply no full-power substitute for it size wise, except for Roherbaugh, but that pistol requires recoil spring changes every one hundred rounds, and the ones I have been around tend to be somewhat finicky.

The above said, I do not really think you could go wrong with either of the pistols you mentioned. The polymer frame gun will be lighter to carry, but it definitely needs the two hundred round break in to slick up. The polymer frame tends to shave a little plastic during the first one hundred rounds or so, but thereafter, all is well. The barrel to slide fit is the tightest I have encountered on a factory gun, and really smooths up after a little shooting.

Like I said, this is my first Kahr product, and after the first one hundred rounds of WWB 115 grain, and fifty rounds of Winchester Personal Protection 115 grain JHP, there has not been a single malfunction. Very impressed with mine so far!:)

I didn't post that to be a indictment of polymer framed Kahr pistols. Just a little education. My personal experience is with the K9 and if I was to buy another it would be the T9. It would really be cool if they came out with a T45.

You know it is, if it wasn't designed by Communist apparatchiks and built by the vodka-fueled proletariat then it just isn't reliable.

Finally! Somebody else gets what I am talking about.:D The Arsenal is actually back at the factory having a ever so slightly canted front sight base corrected. I have submitted my form 1 along with fingerprints, blood sample, semen sample, lock of hair and a permission slip from my local constable...:rolleyes: Anyway, I procured a barrel crowning tool(11 degree "target" crown) and two choices of muzzle devices and am just waiting for the gun and tax stamp to get back to me. I was originally intending to replace the gas tube with a Ultimak rail for a red dot but I have decided to stick with the Russian side mount. If it is good enough for my red comrades then it is good enough for me.:)

This is what I am thinking to start of with:ak-104-clone.jpg

If I decide to go over the top I will probably go with something like this:nightfighter003gk3.jpg

I will keep you posted. Oh and slowride go to Rabbi and buy a Kahr it is a great carry gun and Bill is a first rate guy.

Guest m4coyote

Urse,

That will be a very cool weapon! It took me about 35 days to receive my last form 4 back from the BATF. I figure that is not too bad, considering that not too long ago it took many months of waiting before any of the NFA forms were approved. I must admit that even the 35 day wait seemed like eternity, but was definitely worth it in the end!

Guest colrmccoll

I have had a P40 for several years. Lightweight, very reliable, accurate for its intended purpose and the easiest pistol to conceal I have. I call it my warm weather CCW. I use with an IWB holster at the appendix and it is almost invisible. If my wife were to ever carry, this would be it.