Knoxville speeding ticket, fight it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only run-in with KPD in my 4 years of living here was one day on my bike....

I was driving on I-40 between Cedar Bluff and Lovell Road. I was doing 55-60mph in the left lane while cars were all over my ass. It was heavy traffic as all lanes were full around me. There was a bike cop sitting under the Pellisippi overpass. I was all the way over in the left lane going no faster than the slowest car while a semi-truck was passing me on the right. I was getting off at Lovell Rd, so I began to merge over one lane at a time. I had just merged into the exit lane for Lovell Road when the bike cop appeared right next to me...in my lane! I was startled to say the least as he almost swerved into me and motioned for me to pull over.

I of course complied, although I knew I was doing nothing wrong. He said he stopped me because my tags were improperly displayed. I had them mounted under the tail of my bike in plain view. He said he stopped me because a black motorcycle ran from him a few days ago. I told him that it was the first time I had been in the area in several weeks. He then started in on me about my tags. How in the world he could possibly tell that my tags weren't at a 90 degree angle from the other side of 4 lanes of congested traffic I have no idea.

I told him I bought the bike this way and had no idea it was improper. You could stand a few feet behind the bike and see them plain as day. I was nice about it, even though the stop was complete b.s. as he had no probable cause to do so. I told him I would be glad to fix the tags and had a mount at home that would work. He never really explained what was wrong with my tags the way they were except that they weren't visible enough. Once again they were in plain sight...lol He said he would "let me off" on the tags because I didn't argue with him about it.

Now, how many black motorcycles do you think there are on the road....let alone in Knoxville. This guy cherry-picked me out of a crowd and profiled me just because I was on a bike. I've seen stupid riders act up on bikes around town, but I always rode safe (except on U.S. 129 :D). He had no reason to pull me over, and definitely no reason to sneak up on me and swerve into my lane, almost running me onto the shoulder.

I lost a lot of respect for the KPD after this incident. I never fixed my tags and never had another issue.

Guest tnxdshooter
The only run-in with KPD in my 4 years of living here was one day on my bike....

I was driving on I-40 between Cedar Bluff and Lovell Road. I was doing 55-60mph in the left lane while cars were all over my ass. It was heavy traffic as all lanes were full around me. There was a bike cop sitting under the Pellisippi overpass. I was all the way over in the left lane going no faster than the slowest car while a semi-truck was passing me on the right. I was getting off at Lovell Rd, so I began to merge over one lane at a time. I had just merged into the exit lane for Lovell Road when the bike cop appeared right next to me...in my lane! I was startled to say the least as he almost swerved into me and motioned for me to pull over.

I of course complied, although I knew I was doing nothing wrong. He said he stopped me because my tags were improperly displayed. I had them mounted under the tail of my bike in plain view. He said he stopped me because a black motorcycle ran from him a few days ago. I told him that it was the first time I had been in the area in several weeks. He then started in on me about my tags. How in the world he could possibly tell that my tags weren't at a 90 degree angle from the other side of 4 lanes of congested traffic I have no idea.

I told him I bought the bike this way and had no idea it was improper. You could stand a few feet behind the bike and see them plain as day. I was nice about it, even though the stop was complete b.s. as he had no probable cause to do so. I told him I would be glad to fix the tags and had a mount at home that would work. He never really explained what was wrong with my tags the way they were except that they weren't visible enough. Once again they were in plain sight...lol He said he would "let me off" on the tags because I didn't argue with him about it.

Now, how many black motorcycles do you think there are on the road....let alone in Knoxville. This guy cherry-picked me out of a crowd and profiled me just because I was on a bike. I've seen stupid riders act up on bikes around town, but I always rode safe (except on U.S. 129 :D). He had no reason to pull me over, and definitely no reason to sneak up on me and swerve into my lane, almost running me onto the shoulder.

I lost a lot of respect for the KPD after this incident. I never fixed my tags and never had another issue.

That is basically what that other cop did to me to. Nearly made me wreck then got a smart mouth attitude and I got smart back. I hate smart asses.

Guest slothful1

In early August I was pulled over for the first time in my life, here in Chattanooga. Got a ticket for going 56 in a 40. I also was cited for expired registration (an oversight on my part, it was due in May) and no proof of insurance (I was insured but did not have an up-to-date card in the vehicle). The total for these fines was around $310. I went to court, brought documents showing insurance coverage & the renewed registration, and the judge dismissed those citations. I didn't dispute the speeding, and she set it up for dismissal in 6 months if I don't get any more citations. I did have to pay court costs of about $65. It was well worth going to court for me.

The last time I was pulled over was two or three years ago on The Tail of the Dragon. I was going 47MPH in a 35 Zone.

I didn't even get blue lighted. The Deputy just pointed at me as he drive by and I pulled over. We exchanged pleasantries; the standard things "Do you know how fast you were going," "Do you know what the speed limit is up here?" "You understand why we are up here?" "So you are a local that grew up here huh?"

In the end, I was let off with a warning, and the twenty cars I was leading across the mountain (yes, the Deputy had to park behind all twenty cars and walk up to where I was) were let go and had a great day.

Now, the last time I was pulled over on I40 was about four years ago, I was heading West and at the Pellisippi onramp a car came barreling down at about 90MPH. I was doing 55MPH. I was in the right hand lane. The car had enough room to merge behind me, or hell, even the car behind me. Instead the car wanted in front of me, to the point of getting in the emergency lane to pass me. It was 3am in the morning, there were no cars on the road but me and the car behind me, a co worker.

When the car got to the right side of me, in the emergency lane, I laid on the horn. Just in time to read Knox County Sheriff on the side.

He immediately braked, fell in behind me and turned on the disco lights. I pulled over. When he got up to my window I spoke first. I told him in plain words, without profanity, that what he did was dangerous and wrong. I also explained that had he had some lights on, I would have moved over for him, realizing he was a LEO, however, he didn't. Just the headlights. He simply said "Have a good night and drive safe sir," went back to his car and drove on.

I would probably try for traffic school as well. They are generally happy if they get the money and are less concerned with driving up your insurance rates for a first offense(at least that is my belief). I would try to keep it off my insurance which would get you worse over the long haul

Daniel I was going to give you that info on No Contest as well but I see you have already been informed. I found out a few years back when my wife go to see the judge.

City of Knoxville - City Court How do you plead

NO CONTEST - Legally, this is neither an admission of quilt, nor is it a denial of the charges against you. You simply decline to refute the evidence against you. You may discuss your case with the Judge during Court if that is your choice.

Ask for Traffic school if you have time, probably have to pay more but keeps this one off your record, makes room for the next one if you end up with another one.

Think of it as buying road hazard for your tires. You hope you never need it.

"If this is your first ticket (traffic or otherwise), or if the last time you received a traffic ticket was over four years ago, you are a good candidate for diversion. That means that under normal circumstances, if you appear before the Judge in Court with a plea of Guilty or No Contest, there is a fair chance the Judge may offer you Judicial Diversion on one (1) violation with a ruling of "Dismissed upon payment of Costs"…" Link

I dunno, just what the site says. :D

didn't happen in the knox area, but i got my first ticket in about 10 years for 45 in a school zone. the officer gave me the option of traffic school, and i decided to go that route. it was within $10 of the ticket cost and it kept it off of my record. having sold insurance in the past (in VA, though), i know every moving offense ended up averaging out to around $10 month on auto policies...and that's for 3-5 years.

Guest tnxdshooter
The last time I was pulled over was two or three years ago on The Tail of the Dragon. I was going 47MPH in a 35 Zone.

I didn't even get blue lighted. The Deputy just pointed at me as he drive by and I pulled over. We exchanged pleasantries; the standard things "Do you know how fast you were going," "Do you know what the speed limit is up here?" "You understand why we are up here?" "So you are a local that grew up here huh?"

In the end, I was let off with a warning, and the twenty cars I was leading across the mountain (yes, the Deputy had to park behind all twenty cars and walk up to where I was) were let go and had a great day.

Now, the last time I was pulled over on I40 was about four years ago, I was heading West and at the Pellisippi onramp a car came barreling down at about 90MPH. I was doing 55MPH. I was in the right hand lane. The car had enough room to merge behind me, or hell, even the car behind me. Instead the car wanted in front of me, to the point of getting in the emergency lane to pass me. It was 3am in the morning, there were no cars on the road but me and the car behind me, a co worker.

When the car got to the right side of me, in the emergency lane, I laid on the horn. Just in time to read Knox County Sheriff on the side.

He immediately braked, fell in behind me and turned on the disco lights. I pulled over. When he got up to my window I spoke first. I told him in plain words, without profanity, that what he did was dangerous and wrong. I also explained that had he had some lights on, I would have moved over for him, realizing he was a LEO, however, he didn't. Just the headlights. He simply said "Have a good night and drive safe sir," went back to his car and drove on.

Right because he didnt want to have any complaints against him and risk getting fired.

Guest tnxdshooter
I would probably try for traffic school as well. They are generally happy if they get the money and are less concerned with driving up your insurance rates for a first offense(at least that is my belief). I would try to keep it off my insurance which would get you worse over the long haul

Daniel I was going to give you that info on No Contest as well but I see you have already been informed. I found out a few years back when my wife go to see the judge.

City of Knoxville - City Court How do you plead

Ask for Traffic school if you have time, probably have to pay more but keeps this one off your record, makes room for the next one if you end up with another one.

Think of it as buying road hazard for your tires. You hope you never need it.

Why? in every other city I have been in that I have gotten a ticket if you went to driving school you did not have to pay the fine and it did not go on your record. That is not the way it works with knoxville or KPD they are bass ackwards. You go to driving school and pay about 80 bucks for that plus the 100 some odd dollars for the ticket and because of screw ups it still may go on your record if you dont watch em like a hawk.

Guest 1817ak47
I have gotten two tickets in the past year, the only tickets I have ever gotten. The first ticket was on riverside drive for 35 in a 30. When I asked the cop I'd I could just get a warning he flat out told me no. My second ticket was also a 35 in a 30 on Brooks road. Both of these were KPD, they just love to harass me in my car all of the time. No matter where I am I get followed, sometimes having a nice sports car just isn't worth it.
riverside dr near james white pkwy???

my wife recently got 30 in a 25. wtf is wrong with them. then abolut a month later I called kpd cause neighbors home steroe woke us up at about 130 am. made first call waiting about 15 min no one came. called from here cell phone hoping that them seeing a different PH# will make them think they have a complaint from a 2nd house. again waited about 20 min nothing. there really have there priority bent out of shape. I have lost all respect for how the department operates and how the leaders can't make important decisions

Guest Letereat!

In my experience. (Many tickets as a young pizza driver). The best you can hope for by going to court is Judicial diversion, whice basically means you go to "driving school", pay the court costs and there are no points on your record and your insurance doesn't not go up(mabey). As long as they never find out basically. Its money in the bank for them,(KPD) just a way to troll for "badguys" and get a little cash out of the public. One of the harsh "realities" of life in the "civilized world."

riverside dr near james white pkwy???

my wife recently got 30 in a 25. wtf is wrong with them. then abolut a month later I called kpd cause neighbors home steroe woke us up at about 130 am. made first call waiting about 15 min no one came. called from here cell phone hoping that them seeing a different PH# will make them think they have a complaint from a 2nd house. again waited about 20 min nothing. there really have there priority bent out of shape. I have lost all respect for how the department operates and how the leaders can't make important decisions

Yeah I was coming home from ut and he was hiding beside the market. My cousins wife had been pulled over the day before for the same thing by the same cop.

Guest tnxdshooter

Why does everyone keep saying you can go to driving school? I just told yall that even if he goes to driving school he will still have to pay the fine in Knoxville which is totally bass ackwards from other municipalities. Dude, do not go to driving school as you will still have to pay the ticket. Your best course of action is to pay it and go on about your business and slow down.

I just told yall that even if he goes to driving school he will still have to pay the fine in Knoxville which is totally bass ackwards from other municipalities.

Yes, but you also said…..

Dont trust knox county as far as you can throw them. I would fight it til my dying breathe.
Your best course of action is to pay it and go on about your business and slow down.

So he could be confused on which of your instructions he should follow. :lol:

Guest 1817ak47
Yeah I was coming home from ut and he was hiding beside the market. My cousins wife had been pulled over the day before for the same thing by the same cop.

was this riverside market?? I know the person who owns that place. I wounder how he feels about that. I might go and talk to him see what his thoughts are if that was the place and tell him someone I know got a silly 5 over. i have worked on cars enough to know that a speedo being 3 off isn't unusall, older cars are more prone, but I have even seen like 5+ with factory size tires and speedo gear

was this riverside market?? I know the person who owns that place. I wounder how he feels about that. I might go and talk to him see what his thoughts are if that was the place and tell him someone I know got a silly 5 over. i have worked on cars enough to know that a speedo being 3 off isn't unusall, older cars are more prone, but I have even seen like 5+ with factory size tires and speedo gear

Yeah that's the place. I drive a neon srt-4 and I guess the cop just couldn't pass up my bright blue car.