CCW Questions

Guest stoker_w

Guest stoker_w

Hi,

I'm new on the forum and a reasonably new gun owner. I grew up with them in the family, but just recently my wife and I purchased a handgun and are very interested in getting our permits.

I'm just wondering what, exactly, the procedure is. I know there is a class that we need to take and then I assume some paperwork and stuff. Probably a government fee, figuring you can never pay too many fees.... Ha ha...

How does all that work? How long does it usually take? Are the fees included in the class fees? Do you all recommend taking a class from an organization or an individual?

Maybe someone could refer me to a good instructor or something here in the Nashville area. I looked in the databases section but couldn't really find any listings for people who give the class, etc...

Thanks for any info. If this was all talked about in a recent thread, I'm sorry to ask again and I can go read it. I couldn't really find one.

Thanks

--Stoker

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is the program works pretty well. Virtually no permit holders have been involved in a bad shoot since the program started. That's out of 200,000 permits issued and valid in a state of 7M people.

Basically you start by signing up for the permit course. A number of people offer it at different prices. Frank of ETS here is one of them. The state mandates course content so they will all share a lot of similarities. Other than that they range from the good to the bad to the ugly. Search around here for some discussion, esp on the ugly ones.

Once you complete the course (typically 1 day) and pass the tests (and if you cant pass them you don't need to own a gun) then you get fingerprinted. Then you apply for it. Then you wait up to 60 days or so. Then you get the permit and are good for 5 years.

My answer in BOLD

Hi,

I'm new on the forum and a reasonably new gun owner. I grew up with them in the family, but just recently my wife and I purchased a handgun and are very interested in getting our permits.

First it is a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) it allows you to carry and handgun(s) you have concealed or open.

I'm just wondering what, exactly, the procedure is. I know there is a class that we need to take and then I assume some paperwork and stuff. Probably a government fee, figuring you can never pay too many fees.... Ha ha...

How does all that work? It has changed some since I got mine, but basically as The Rabbi said. Take the safety class, get finger printed submit certificate from class, finger prints and HCP application with your money (cash or money order). Good for 4 years, renewal are $50 and can be paid by check, cash or money order. How long does it usually take? Up to 90 days, usually a little less. Are the fees included in the class fees? No, the Permit is $115, the safety course you must have is priced by the instructor and I have seen ragnes from $75 - $150 Do you all recommend taking a class from an organization or an individual? Depends, Frank of ETS on this board has got many good reviews however.

Maybe someone could refer me to a good instructor or something here in the Nashville area. I looked in the databases section but couldn't really find any listings for people who give the class, etc...

Thanks for any info. If this was all talked about in a recent thread, I'm sorry to ask again and I can go read it. I couldn't really find one.

Thanks

--Stoker