New Member CC Info

Guest DylisTN

Guest DylisTN

Hello All. I'm seeking information on TN concealed Carry .

I moved to TN from Fla 12 years ago. In Fla, I did not need a concealed carry permit to carry a gun in my car. When I moved here I looked into getting a concealed carry permit. But being a lazy procrastinator, and feeling much safer in TN than I did in Fla, I have not done so.

Now I have resolved to do so before July 4th.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNDixieGirl

Don't put it off if you don't have to. You aren't any safer here than Florida or any other state. Crime knows no boundaries.

In TN you will apply for a Handgun Carry Permit, we don't have a concealed carry permit. You're required to take the handgun safety course in order to apply for a permit, and since many of the courses are booked up weeks/months in advance, I'd suggest going ahead and signing up and taking that.

Here's the link to the information you'll need. http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/generalinfo.htm

Go to: Tennessee Anytime. That web site will tell you anything you want to know about Tennessee. If I remember correctly, fee was $115.00, fingerprint cards, can get application at any Drivers License station, submit all to DL station and a copy of app to Chief Law Enforcement Officer, which would probably be your Sheriff. The DL station will use the picture that is on your Tennessee drivers license for your HCP. Took about five weeks waiting on background check. I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in with better info. Welcome to TGO.

Guest TNDixieGirl

To my knowledge, there's no involvement of the Sheriff. The office you use to submit your application will direct you as to how/where the fingerprints are done.

Just use the link I posted above and it will tell you step-by-step how to apply.

Good luck to you.

basically a simple process.

take the permit class

Take certificate to TDOS station, fill out the paperwork, don't sign it until you are being watched by an agent, pay $115.00,get picture taken. They do not re-use your drivers license pic.

Call to schedule fingerprinting, then go and get it done. UPS store in Halls does it around here.

Wait by mailbox and make 60 posts, minimum, about your anxiety while you wait.

Permit will arrive.

Put permit in pocket, strap on gun and head to WalMart.

Yeah, thats how it's done

<snip>

Permit will arrive.

Good Job Mike!!! We all had left out the last and most important steps of the process. :D

Guest TNDixieGirl

They do not re-use your drivers license pic.

Yes they do re-use your drivers license pic. They give you the choice of whether you want a new pic taken, or use the existing pic on your driver's license. I chose to have my drivers license pic re-used so the same pic is on both my licenses.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I think thats the same link I posted. I just took him straight to the handgun page.

mouse, I have to tell you thats the cutest avatar I've seen yet. :)

It would be nice to have a "Sticky" on the Handgun Carry Permit info. More

people are joining every day. Although the info is around, it would make it

easier for new people on the board to find it on teh forum.

Maybe with some links to Vendors here that offer classes.

Just a thought...

***EDIT: Nevermind... I see we do. Doh!

That's what I get for clicking "today's posts" too much! LOL!

Guest DylisTN

More (and better) info here than hours google search over the last week. google kept giving me law books. I was afraid< I needed a lawyer.

Thanks for the info and motivation.

John

Yes they do re-use your drivers license pic. They give you the choice of whether you want a new pic taken, or use the existing pic on your driver's license. I chose to have my drivers license pic re-used so the same pic is on both my licenses.

As a new TN resident, today I turned in the renewal forms to get the TN permit (I have a valid VA carry permit). The friendly DoS folks told me I needed a separate photo. Maybe it just depends on which station you go to.

It basically depends on two things, if they have a digital picture of you or if you look different than your current picture.

When I first got my HCP is when they first started taking digital pictures. In fact after I got my HCP the next time I renewed my DL they used the picture taken for my HCP. So while unlikely now, if you hadn't had a digital picture taken they will take it when you get your HCP of DL. Also they are supposed to take a new picture if, by their determination, your apperance has substantially changed since your last picture they are supposed to take a new one. They will usually take a new one at your requst as well.

Guest canynracer

I didnt get a choice, they said I had to get a new pic...so they took it...not that it matters cause I am such a handsome kinda guy:rolleyes:

take the permit class

Take certificate to TDOS station, fill out the paperwork, don't sign it until you are being watched by an agent, pay $115.00,get picture taken. They do not re-use your drivers license pic.

Call to schedule fingerprinting, then go and get it done. UPS store in Halls does it around here.

Permit will arrive.

That was classic.:D........and oh so true.

Richard

Guest TNDixieGirl

Apparently it depends on the station you use. Some of these guys had to have their pic retaken. Maybe I didn't have to because I just renewed my DL October before last (2006) so it was a fairly recent pic?? :lol:

Guest pws_smokeyjones

take the permit class

Permit will arrive.

Mike nailed it here. I will add two points of detail. do NOT download the application from the TN gubment website - they won't let you use it, or at least they didn't two years ago. You have to use the multi-layer form they give you at the DL office. Point #2 - Take the following with you to the DL office just to make sure you have what you need:

A. Drivers License

B. 2nd Form of photo ID - Passport works

C. Birth Certificate

D. 2 Pieces of unopened mail with your name on them

E. A good attitude and some patience

F. almost forgot - your handgun carry class information

These are a little overkill but when visiting any gubment office I prefer to have too much information as opposed to too little and having to make a second trip.