Just got my Class done yesterday

Guest NashvegasMatt

Guest NashvegasMatt

Yesterday I drove out to greenbrier, tn to guns and leather for my carrying class. It was an overall good experience, except for the people in the class who were trying to be know-it-alls. The guy who instructed it was very knowledgeable and knew his stuff. It was just really obnoxious that people were trying to correct him and whatnot. I'm no gun expert, but I'm also not going to publicly correct an instructor. ANYWAY.... for the price ($60) it was a good class. There were a lot of different types of people in this class which surprised me. In my opinion, it's worth the drive to Greenbrier to take their carry class. I also checked out the prices, which were really good! Going to the DMV monday!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NashvegasMatt

their range was ridiculously nice. Actually surprised me. I figured some place out in the boonies would be average at best. Motorized targets 2 ranges... really nice.

Guest bubruins

Good review. I think I'll be calling G & L by the end of the week to set up an appointment. On Target is right down the road but I'll drive to Greenbrier just to spite their $110 handgun class fee. I believe you convinced me with: "In my opinion, it's worth the drive to Greenbrier to take their carry class." Thanks for the review.

I took On Target's class. Believe me when I say it was a joke, as far as the quality of the class and the informative nature of it. My wife decided to get her's after I got mine, and didn't want to go thru the class without me. So since On Target's class was so poor, I went along with her to Greenbrier. For the price of On Target's class for one, I got to sit in on a good class, learned a great deal more, and the wife got her certificate. Well worth it.

Guest rebelyell

Congrats on the class! I took mine at Farnsworths in Vonore. The instructors were a husband and wife team and there were plenty of obnoxious ones there to.But they must have plenty of experience with obnoxious students, They new just how to handle them and made the class lots of fun and informative.Didn't take long until the obnoxious ones started keeping there mouths closed. Very professional instructors!

Good review. I think I'll be calling G & L by the end of the week to set up an appointment. On Target is right down the road but I'll drive to Greenbrier just to spite their $110 handgun class fee. I believe you convinced me with: "In my opinion, it's worth the drive to Greenbrier to take their carry class." Thanks for the review.
I took On Target's class. Believe me when I say it was a joke, as far as the quality of the class and the informative nature of it. My wife decided to get her's after I got mine, and didn't want to go thru the class without me. So since On Target's class was so poor, I went along with her to Greenbrier. For the price of On Target's class for one, I got to sit in on a good class, learned a great deal more, and the wife got her certificate. Well worth it.

I just took the class yesterday at G&L. Great class and great instructor. Well worth the drive. There were no "know-it-all's" in our class. Your right the range was very nice. I shoot at On Target fairly regular but I couldn't see paying that much for the course. I like shooting at On Target but G&L has a lot more eye candy to look at in the store. The prices seemed right also.

Blackhawk, If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about the On Target class? You mentioned the informative nature of it, but was there anything specific?

I only ask because I took my class at On Target and enjoyed it a great deal. I thought the instructor (a gentleman by the name of Leroy Farris) did an exceptional job of laying out the pertinent information and more importantly keeping the ridiculous questions and outbursts to a minimum. One of the complaints about other classes in this thread was the obnoxious people, and I could sense more than a couple in my class as well, but Mr. Farris really did a good job of nipping them in the bud and getting back on topic, which I appreciated.

Other than the price, which is admittedly much cheaper at G&L, I had no problems with the On Target class. And since I live in Murfreesboro I did recoup some expense in gas and travel time. I'm curious if they always use the same instructor (did you get Leroy Farris too?) or if maybe you just ended up in a class with a poor instructor.

Just curious.

Got my permit in the mail this week, it took about 3 weeks to get it after doing the dmv/fingerprint thing, Went to the DMV at 7am got back out in 20 minutes then went and and finger prints done that afternoon after work. I took my class at Carters in Harrison TN great instructor, very proffesional. Cost of the course was $75.

• 2 weeks later...