1911 carry?

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

I am obviously in the right place!:D How many of you carry a 1911? Have you ever had a problem with the thumb safety clicking off in your edc?

Just looking to the Vets for input! Thanks:screwy:

;)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been carrying a 1911 most everyday since 89, and never once has my thumb safety bumped off. My holsters for the past 15yrs do have the flap between me and the gun covering the safety. So any movement of my body is rubbing the holster and never the safety, plus it is more comfortable which is why I switched. But even before that, when wearing open top holsters, I still never had an issue.

Most of the time I have heard of people having this problem it has been with an ambidextrous safety, bumping it on the right/outside. But even that seems hard to do to me.

Agreed. This seems to be the situation (for some folks). It makes sense, and is why I'll never have an ambi safety 1911.

I switch between my 1911 and XD SC. I have found my 1911 safety flicked off one time in the past year and I've carried the 1911 far, far more as I only recently acquired the XD. I carry in a hybrid leather/kydex holster and found that I needed to tighten the kydex shell more to keep the gun from shifting. Haven't had a problem since making the adjustment. As long as the gun is held snug in the holster and the holster has a sweat shield that covers the safety, you will not have a problem with that.

I would not want to carry a 1911 with ambi safety for reasons mentioned by others. I don't know that it matters tremendously that the safety flicks off as the gun cannot discharge unless the trigger is depressed by your finger, or careless reholstering / debris in the holster. Still, I *feel* better when the safety is on. :)

Edited by tt0511

I carry a 1911 daily and have never had a thumb safety bump off. My holster is a bare bones rig with nothing covering the tumb safety or hammer. The thumb safety should be held both on and off in a positive manner. I have seen 1911's where the thumb safety would easily be knocked to the off position. For me I wouldn't carry a pistol with a thumb safety that light as this is the only thing that will keep the sear from coming off the hammer hook when the gun is jarred. The grip safety does not lock the sear, it only prevents the trigger from being pulled. And even if the grip safety isn;t depressed the sear can come off the hammer yet if the thumb safety is properly fitted and in the on position the sear cannot come off hte hammer.

Dolomite

Guest tnxdshooter
I carry a 1911 daily and have never had a thumb safety bump off. My holster is a bare bones rig with nothing covering the tumb safety or hammer. The thumb safety should be held both on and off in a positive manner. I have seen 1911's where the thumb safety would easily be knocked to the off position. For me I wouldn't carry a pistol with a thumb safety that light as this is the only thing that will keep the sear from coming off the hammer hook when the gun is jarred. The grip safety does not lock the sear, it only prevents the trigger from being pulled. And even if the grip safety isn;t depressed the sear can come off the hammer yet if the thumb safety is properly fitted and in the on position the sear cannot come off hte hammer.

Dolomite

Yeah mine has an ambi safety. With the stock safety on there I still never had a problem but I had a shortened wilson combat tactical saftey put on it due to the fact that I some day want to add the burlwood crimson trace laser grips to it. With the regular safety they would not have fit on there.

Guest Scramasax

I carried a 1911 both full size and commander in an Askins avenger holster and Milt Sparks summer special for over 30 years. In and out of choppers,cars,jeeps, boats and on horseback. Never had the safty come off. I did not use an ambi safty. This could be an issue.

Cheers,

tad