.38 special ammo in a .357 gun - question

Guest brad481

Guest brad481

If I use .38 special ammo in my snub-nose .357 magnum, how would it compare to using a .38 special gun? Since I am using a .357 magnum gun, would it be any louder than using a .38 special gun? Or would the loudness be like that of a .38 special gun? And would the recoil be different at all?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The .357 is going to be the loudest, then .38spcl+p, then .38spcl. That's the great thing about a .357 mag, you can run all 3. Be sure to clean your cylinders good after the non-357 rounds (shorter). To me buying a .38spcl when you can have a .357, is not the best way to go.

Recoil and sound are directly related to the round/load used, not so much the weapon itself.

If you didn't already know, .357 Magnums will accept a .38 Special and .38 Special +p. Conversely, .38 Specials will not accept a .357 Magnum; make sure any weapon you use a .38 Special +p is marked as such!

Be sure to clean your cylinders good after the non-357 rounds (shorter). To me buying a .38spcl when you can have a .357, is not the best way to go.

Your cylinders will get gummed up. Pay special attention to clean the cylinders. The great thing is a typical .357 has a larger frame which makes it a heavier gun. This really brings down the recoil if your shooting .38.

There is one way to find out. Get a box of .357 and give them a try. You really should try .357s in your snubby. In a self defense scenario the .357 would have much better stopping power, but it's no fun to shoot. The question is, is the recoil of a .357 going to make your snubby less effective? If so try 38sp +P then 38sp standard pressure loads. I carry a 38 special sometimes and I use standard pressure loads. They generate around 180ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. A +P will give you 200-230ft/lbs (maybe) and a .357 will give you 300-400ft/lbs. Depending om the load. A 9mm delivers around 300ft/lbs. A 22lr might do 100-120. But I ramble too much.........

One thing about SD with a .357 snubby, if you don't hit him, he'll be blind, deaf and singed. :)

Edited by Will Carry