Hilary is Leading, and I am Scared

Guest Charlesdht

Guest Charlesdht

Guys, I don't know what to do. I have talked to some attorneys and older gun enthusiasts and they assure me that the CLINTON ASSAULT ban o' hell, will more than probably not return because it did not actually lower crime at ALL. It mainly just pissed off gun collectors. But honestly, when has Hilary or her husband needed sense behind passing laws. I am so terrified that I am actually basing my gun purchasing decisions not on what i would most like to have, but on what might get banned when Hilary's bat**** crazy pinko commie ass explodes off on a tangent about "Gun Control" and removes it from the market. What do you guys think? GO

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not base purchases on what might happen. I will take that as it comes. EBR's are nice and all I guess but not really my interest. Normal Capacity 14 to 16 round mags are great too but I can hardly afford to fill them anymore. So I just load them with less rounds per re-load. I am not a fan of restricted capacity mags but then my 1911 only hold 8 rounds anyway. Revolvers five or six rounds.

Everyone needs to make this decision for themselves. A lot of you guys love AR's and that ilk, so I say go for it if you want.

Guest ETS_Inc

We were discussing the possibility of another ban, and the effect that the upcoming election will have on the market, at the shop today.

I fully expect a rush to buy AR lower recievers and magazines for AR's, AK's, FAL's, and pistols as the election gets closer. I would say it's a safe bet that either Clinton or Obama will be the nominee for the Democratic Party candidate (unless McCain actually shows his true colors and joins the side to which he really belongs). Already, I've heard numerous customers telling me that they're making purchases in anticipation of the election, an are planning other purchases in the not-so-distant future.

I would like to believe that this country will not elect either Clinton or Obama, but several people have argued that I've been wrong before. (I don't believe them, but they are steadfast in their belief that I've made a mistake or two.) Even if they are elected, I don't see a ban going into effect immediately. Maybe some time down the road, but I don't see it happening right away.

But, what I do see happening is a shortage of AR recievers and magazines. I think a lot of folks will start buying them up in bulk come summer and early fall. That's going to cause the dealers to order a lot of merchandise with which to restock their depleted shelves. If that happens, it's likely to overwhelm the manufacturers, who are already frequently back-ordered.

Here's one situation I can see happening, and keep in mind, it's more-or-less a worst-case scenario:

Late summer / early fall, folks start buying AR's like crazy, depleting the stocks of the dealers. The dealers place new orders, but the manufacturers can't keep up. As the election looms, many dealers see it as an opportunity to gouge the market, hoping to cash in on people's fears. As AR's and mags are difficult to acquire, the prices for those available increases. Then, lo and behold, Komrade Klinton is elected President. From November until January, manufacturers crank out as many lowers and mags as possible, and the dealers raise prices drastically, and people afraid of the future pay the price. As January nears, manufacturers slow their production schedules, in fear of a possible ban being enacted upon the reconvening of the Congress. If that happens, AR's and mags availability slows again to a trickle, and prices stabilize a bit. If a ban is enacted, I believe it will be much more restrictive than the last one. If one isn't enacted immediately, things will go back to the current status quo, until another Columbine / Virginia Tech debacle. During a Democratic Presidency, I would be willing to bet every active shooter situation will cause a rush for firearms, as firearms afficianado's gird themselves for knee-jerk reaction by the government.

Again, that's just a worst-case scenario. I would be willing to wager it won't be that bad. But, having said that, I can assure you, I'll be putting away the occassional lower into my private collection over the next 11 months (thinking 1-2 a month, plus as many mags as I can afford).

Guest flyfishtn

Well said Frank.

While the two main front runners on the Dem side are showing their true colors, that actually can be a good thing. Selling fear and blame actually polarizes the fence riders and motivates the 'pubs so hopefully they vote in the other direction. This, of course, assumes that people actually have their eyes open.

Guest ETS_Inc

There is one thing I am afraid will happen with a new, more stringent ban: I would not be surprised to see it include a clause that stopped the sale of semi-auto, magazine fed rifles immediately upon enactment; meaning that whatever a dealer has in their inventory, regardless of date of manufacture, can't be sold to a non-FFL / LE / military / government agency. That would also mean there would be no such animal as pre-ban or post-ban. Dealers would essentially be out of the semi-auto, magazine-fed rifle business. If a ban like that did get passed, that would mean no new AR's, and you couldn't get used ones from a dealer, or transferred from another State, as they would have to go through a dealer.

I can promise you this, though: If legislation worded as such goes up for so much as a vote, anything in my inventory will immediately be sold / transferred to my friends and family. We'll work out arrangements for future payments, if need be, but I'm not getting stuck holding the bag on a bunch of guns folks should be able to own anyways, just because of a stupid piece of legislation.

Don't think something like that could happen? Think about the 1986 Firearm's Owner's PROTECTION Act, and what it did to machine guns and their prices... And, that was enacted under one of the most gun-friendly Presidents of modern times, Ronald Reagan.

Guest ETS_Inc
You never know what a new regime might do.....looks like I contacted you in time eh Frank?

Your rifle should be assembled by the middle / end of next week. I have to call J&T tomorrow, so I'll confirm that they are shipping the stuff I need to finish it. Your lower is already sitting in the safe, set aside for the build.

Actually, when the parts arrive, would you like to be there when I build it, so you can see how it's done?

I don't see gun control issues being on the front burner of any potential Democratic (or Republican) nominee. Several reasons for this:

1) A VERY full plate of both domestic and foreign affairs issues left over from the current administration.

2) Very little public uproar about guns lately -even post-VA Tech, most Americans think we about the right amount of gun control laws.

3) Many new Democratic members of Congress were elected on pro-gun rights platforms. (or at least on non-anti-gun rights platforms.) The Democratic leadership can do what they want, but they will need virtually 100% Democratic lockstep to get anything passed. I just don't see it happening.

4) The 2A fight ball is in the SCOTUS's court right now. No campaign or administration should be thinking about gun control policy until after the SCOTUS ruling comes down in Spring.

5) Its pretty clear the last ban did little/nothing to reduce gun-related crime. Why waste what would have to be a ton of political capital on a measure that would do nothing except appease an extreme portion of your own party -a portion that will vote for you anyway over anyone from the other side?

So, Democrats have other priorities and don't have the votes even if they wanted to push the issue. Say what you will about Sen. Clinton, she is a smart political operator. Very smart. She learned her lesson from the health care debacle back in hubby's first term. Also, if she learned from Bill, she learned to govern from the center, not the extreme. By the time next January comes around, we will have a Congress filled with members who have other concerns, we likely will have a SCOTUS ruling that to some extent affirms that the 2A enumerates an individual right to gun ownership, and a presidential plate filled with 2 wars and a recession.

I know there is lots of worry out there, and I certainly believe Frank's economic forecast could be accurate -and I do plan on making several purchases before market forces make the prices go too high.

I am, by nature, a worrier. But I am not worrying about any new gun bans in the next few years.

I agree 100% with Len. Guns are an issue mainly to gun owners. The mainstream Democratic party sees gun control as a loser of an issue (rightly). They also have other things on their plate that will provide more patronage and voters than banning guns.

I also think we will see a rush on buying ARs etc.

I think the rush has already started on Buying AR's, Honestly I bought mine 4 months ago just because I thought it may be my last year to get one, but after I shot it, I absolutely love it, Alot of people I know whom have never owned an AR have recently bought one and or are planning to do so in the coming months.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
We were discussing the possibility of another ban, and the effect that the upcoming election will have on the market, at the shop today.

I fully expect a rush to buy AR lower recievers and magazines for AR's, AK's, FAL's, and pistols as the election gets closer. I would say it's a safe bet that either Clinton or Obama will be the nominee for the Democratic Party candidate (unless McCain actually shows his true colors and joins the side to which he really belongs). Already, I've heard numerous customers telling me that they're making purchases in anticipation of the election, an are planning other purchases in the not-so-distant future.

I would like to believe that this country will not elect either Clinton or Obama, but several people have argued that I've been wrong before. (I don't believe them, but they are steadfast in their belief that I've made a mistake or two.) Even if they are elected, I don't see a ban going into effect immediately. Maybe some time down the road, but I don't see it happening right away.

But, what I do see happening is a shortage of AR recievers and magazines. I think a lot of folks will start buying them up in bulk come summer and early fall. That's going to cause the dealers to order a lot of merchandise with which to restock their depleted shelves. If that happens, it's likely to overwhelm the manufacturers, who are already frequently back-ordered.

Here's one situation I can see happening, and keep in mind, it's more-or-less a worst-case scenario:

Late summer / early fall, folks start buying AR's like crazy, depleting the stocks of the dealers. The dealers place new orders, but the manufacturers can't keep up. As the election looms, many dealers see it as an opportunity to gouge the market, hoping to cash in on people's fears. As AR's and mags are difficult to acquire, the prices for those available increases. Then, lo and behold, Komrade Klinton is elected President. From November until January, manufacturers crank out as many lowers and mags as possible, and the dealers raise prices drastically, and people afraid of the future pay the price. As January nears, manufacturers slow their production schedules, in fear of a possible ban being enacted upon the reconvening of the Congress. If that happens, AR's and mags availability slows again to a trickle, and prices stabilize a bit. If a ban is enacted, I believe it will be much more restrictive than the last one. If one isn't enacted immediately, things will go back to the current status quo, until another Columbine / Virginia Tech debacle. During a Democratic Presidency, I would be willing to bet every active shooter situation will cause a rush for firearms, as firearms afficianado's gird themselves for knee-jerk reaction by the government.

Again, that's just a worst-case scenario. I would be willing to wager it won't be that bad. But, having said that, I can assure you, I'll be putting away the occassional lower into my private collection over the next 11 months (thinking 1-2 a month, plus as many mags as I can afford).

I agree. About the only real possibility I see is that we will experience a few months of farked up pricing on AR type rifles and components and then it will settle back down to what we have now. The President alone is not going to make an executive decision to ban guns of any type. It will have to involve the legislature as well and those guys won't be much different than they are right now no matter who is in the hot seat.

You have to remember clinton's assault weapons bill was dead with no chance of returning the all the sudden it was law. the same thing can happen again. and remember Mr Ruger was a big part of it.

Fortunately Mr. Ruger is on that big shooting range in the sky. And his son is out of the business.