Which .22 lr rifle will be the best teacher?

Guest bubruins

Which $200 rifle has the potential to teach me the most about target shooting?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which $200 rifle has the potential to teach me the most about target shooting?

• Remington 597 standard
    • Savage MKII standard with accutrigger
    • Other

If you truly want to learn the art of target shooting a semi-auto is not what you want.

Savage Mark II bolt action will not only provide you with excellent accuracy but also help teach the fundamentals of patience and discipline (while working the action). Constantly pulling the trigger on a semi will not teach you anything until the fundamentals are mastered.

Looking to pick up that savage soon myself, very nice rifle haven't heard any bad things about it. Also I wouldn't go with a heavy barrel for your trainer the regular version will be much better to learn on plus if you get into small game hunting you will have a rifle to do it with. I have a 10/22 with thumbhole stock and bull barrel and it is way to heavy to do anything other than target shoot, which is why I'm in the market for a nice bolt .22

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bubruins

I had not considered that disadvantage of a heavy barrel gun. Sounds stupid but you get sucked into thinking that you need the biggest, baddest target gun around when you start shopping for a good accurate gun.

I had not considered that disadvantage of a heavy barrel gun. Sounds stupid but you get sucked into thinking that you need the biggest, baddest target gun around when you start shopping for a good accurate gun.

Exactly don't get me wrong I love my 10/22, but sometimes i wish I had kept it in factory form. If it was me I would pick up a regular savage mark 2 and call it a day, until your next gun of course haha.

Guest bubruins

I am leaning towards a heavy barrel MKII BV with the brown laminate (standard - not thumbhole) stock right now from "WholesaleHunter" on Gunbroker. I've read several reviews online of the MKII and everyone seems to dislike the factory polymer stock so it appears that the $16 upgrade to laminate will be well worth it. This rifle will primarily be a teaching tool and as a fun, cheap rifle to shoot so I guess I should't be too concerned about weight at this point. I doubt I'll get many opportunities in the next several years to go hunting on a regular basis so most of this rifle's transportation will be from safe to car and then car to the place we shoot on the farm.

The only downside to this gun for my use will be that it does not have iron sights. I'm not too concerned with this because we have 3 other .22 rifles at the farm that have iron sights only. They aren't really good target iron sights and they aren't exactly target rifles, but I'll be sure to practice up with those periodically. Those are the rifles that I learned to shoot with, they just are not practical for shooting very consistent 5 shot groups (single shot lever action = no prone) and I have little to no scope experience. I think that the MKII will be a good teacher for scope, trigger pull, follow through, and correct stock positioning. My follow through is probably what needs the most improvement at this time but I'll admit to needing a lot of help in all of those areas.

Guest bubruins

I just purchased a Savage MK II BTV in .22lr from Gunbroker. The scope mounted on it is a Burris 3-9x40. That should be quite an upgrade from the Tasco 3-9x50 I was planning on using. The whole package with bipod, two extra magazines, and the Burris scope cost me substantially less than it would have cost to build my own Savage BV (or FV for that matter!) with a cheaper scope.

I just sent off information to the Saddle Shop alerting them about the transaction as I'm going to use them as my FFL ($30 transfer fee w/ TBI included!).

Guest bubruins

Just got an email from the Saddle Shop. They already sent the FFL. This is my 1st time buying from the internet so it's a bit nerve racking but I think that the folks at the Saddle Shop will do a great job.

I just sent off information to the Saddle Shop alerting them about the transaction as I'm going to use them as my FFL ($30 transfer fee w/ TBI included!).
Just got an email from the Saddle Shop. They already sent the FFL. This is my 1st time buying from the internet so it's a bit nerve racking but I think that the folks at the Saddle Shop will do a great job.

If you have any problems it won’t be because of the Saddle Shop. I just let Mike get what I need instead of transferring; he usually quotes me better prices than I can find and there is no transfer fee. I wish he kept more guns in-stock he’s a great guy to deal with. thumbsup.gif

Guest bubruins

From the experiences I have just dropping in and checking out their inventory they seem to be really good people. It's good to hear another person agree with that.