Best handgun for a bear attack?

Guest mosinon

Guest mmarcum

Trying to stay on topic with the OP I would opt for either a ruger alaskan in 454 or another large caliber 357 or above. I would also like to add that the one you have in your hand is the best one at the time.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN
Trying to stay on topic with the OP I would opt for either a ruger alaskan in 454 or another large caliber 357 or above. I would also like to add that the one you have in your hand is the best one at the time.

THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Normally I would agree, but the Hornady TAP ammunition was specifically designed for close-quarters combat. It was originally marketed to police agencies for use in tactical rifles (TAP stood for Tactical Application Police). It's a frangible ammunition that is designed to break apart on impact with the body and inflict maximum damage with no over-penetration. In this case, the rounds did not hit center mass. The point here is that the .40 rounds that hit center mass did the job that the super-duper .223 ammo couldn't do when they didn't hit vital areas. It doesn't matter what super powerful, super cool, super modern caliber you are firing; if you can't hit a vital area, it's virtually useless. To believe that a larger caliber gives you some incredible advantage over being able to aim and fire properly is dangerous.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure why you would state that TAP ammo is considered specifically for CQB. It's commonly used as a sniper round and is lauded for accuracy. You are of course correct in that it's also intended to fragment more quickly than many other types of ammo to reduce overpenetration concerns. Now the TAP line DOES have a "Close Quarters" line of pistol ammo. Hornady : Law Enforcement | Products | TAP CQ® It strikes me as a bit odd personally as, in my mind, isn't any self-defense handgun ammunition intended for use against humans by definition close quarters?

While in general I'm very much with you in the "shot placement trumps caliber" discussion I don't want the pendulum to swing too far. I myself stated earlier in the thread that a 9mm hit trumps a .44 magnum miss. But aren't we missing something? Doesn't a .44 magnum hit trump a 9mm hit? Damn skippy it does, and especially on something like a bear. Besides, lethality arguments of any kind aren't particularly germane to self defense issues. You want damage that incapacitates, that ceases the threat against you, be it human or animal. Whether the attacker dies afterwards from the wounds isn't really the immediate concern.

Humans are more like deer. We're thin skinned and lightly boned compared to large and dangerous animals like big cats, bears, buffalo, elephant, etc. Calibers that would be considered quite adequate for humans become very marginal for bears, especially if you're talking about the bigger ones. Will a 180gr bullet from a .40S&W@1000fps in the shoulder of an inbound bear have the chutzpah to bust out that shoulder, break heavy bone and even keep going to cause other mischeif? Good luck with that. Better than nothing. But what if it's a 300+gr hardcast at over 1100fps from a .44 or hot .45LC? C'mon, don't kid yourself, that's a whole other level damage you've just inflicted to Yogi.

The argument that a hit with most anything is better than a miss with whatever is inarguably correct. The idea that caliber/bullet weight/energy simply don't matter when other considerations are equal just doesn't hold up well under scrutiny. There's a reason dangerous game guides aren't usually carrying 30-30's or .243's.

Edited by guyandarifle
if I had my choice it'd be a .45/70 lever gun, but if forced to take a handgun itd definetely be a S&W 500mag in 4" barrell version, with the hottest handloads I could make.

All good and well to have a big handgun like that. However, we are not really talking about hunting bear here with pistols. We are talking about last ditched protection. If it came down to it, you might have one or two very fast shots. Quite possibly you would have to shoot a bear one handed. I challenge you to shoot a handgun like that quickly and probably from a very awkward angle. At the close range you would be shooting likely, you must have something you are very capable with one handed. All bear are fast, brown bear are exceptionally fast. They can cover 40 yards in a couple of seconds.

• Admin Team

From experience, a brown bear tops out at just over 31mph. That's faster than an Olympic sprinter.

When they get irritated win you, they can knock down a 8 inch Aspen tree with one hit - just to make sure you know that they're strong, too

They really like barbecued pork chops.

A tranquilizer dart will take a five hundred pound bear down for five hours. It will do that within five seconds. You really need to remember the first two points above when you are shooting at one.

A problem bear that has been captured and relocated can cover 150 miles in a 24 hour period. Did I mention how much they like pork chops. And chocolate cake.

When a problem bear that you have previously relocated invites itself in for dinner the next day, it is completely acceptable to move the rest of the meal from the table to the rafters in the ranger station.

Can't they also climb pretty darn well, in addition to Olympic sprint speed? Hoping my wife and I don't get to learn first-hand about any of your info next year when we are hiking in the mountains (planning to hike part of the Appalachian). And I will for sure remember items 1 and 2 and not carry chops or cake.:D

I read on a hiking blog a suggesting that a large, heavy knife is about as good as a handgun - this considering your point the bear may be on you before you can deploy a gun to any effect. Other avid back-country hikers also said a heavy hiking stick can afford time to either get the gun out or deploy the knife.

Of course, that assumes the presence of mind to get to the gun or have the knife in action as the bear is likely chewing off your other arm and then try to ram the knife up and thru the throat or shoot one handed, while in max distress.

Of course, seeing the news with the guy who was attacked by the hogs was something; danged hogs worry me about as much if not more than Bears.

• Admin Team

We surprised one once. We came around the side of our station after draining some pasta in our sump. He was on our front porch thinking about inviting himself in for spaghetti. Most bears really are more scared of you than you are them, and this one lept from our porch to a midsize pine tree a few meters from the porch. He took every branch out of the tree on his way up. Afterwards, it looked like a telephone pole. For such a large animal, he could climb remarkably fast.

All of this reminds me of an old ranger joke.

How do you tell the difference between a black bear and a brown bear?

You run up and kick it, then climb a tree. If it comes up the tree after you to get you, it's a black bear. If it pushes the tree over to get you, it's a brown bear.

Be safe on the trail. Use a bear bag. Make sure to include your toothpaste in your smellables.

I can tell you this as well, you will have a hard time shooting a handgun with any sort of accuracy when a bear decides to head our way quickly. They will tell you it is best to hold your ground and it is the hardest thing in the world to have that sort of self control. In hunting bear you always position yourself to have the upper hand and have the bear not notice you. If they see you on open ground, you aren't hunting for them and they are within a hundred yards they have the upper hand.

My most recent experience with a brown bear, I was looking through a scope with a 7mm Rem Mag. I felt under gunned. I was with a man who had hunted in this region his entire life. He had had many encounters with these animals as well as polar bear and very up close encounters with wolves. After the encounter was over I looked over at him. He was sweating and lit up a cigarette. It is about 20 degrees. He said you just never get used to it. He said it is always very difficult to guess the actions of a bear when she has cubs. He felt like he was fairly sure he knew what she would do, but could never be certain. And I have hunted quite a bit, including some very dangerous game. I never lost my cool, but I did feel the adrenaline dump after it was over. For the non hunter or the uninitiated it is even worse. They are far more likely to allow the adrenaline to overcome their control.

One other thing I learned on that trip. A wolverine is a very nasty, vicious, mean mean animal. And they are very tough to put down.

Edited by Warbird
  • Admin Team
I read on a hiking blog a suggesting that a large, heavy knife is about as good as a handgun - this considering your point the bear may be on you before you can deploy a gun to any effect. Other avid back-country hikers also said a heavy hiking stick can afford time to either get the gun out or deploy the knife.

Of course, that assumes the presence of mind to get to the gun or have the knife in action as the bear is likely chewing off your other arm and then try to ram the knife up and thru the throat or shoot one handed, while in max distress.

Of course, seeing the news with the guy who was attacked by the hogs was something; danged hogs worry me about as much if not more than Bears.

My experience was that you really have to piss a brown or black bear off to get it to attack you. At least for bears that haven't been hooked on the refined sugars in our foods anyways. Best practice is to make yourself as big and as loud as you can. This should at least slow them down, if not scare them off completely. That'll give you some time to think about, and make ready your next option.

Thanks - will do. That bear going up a tree would have been a sight to see! Amazing how agile such a big, seemingly lumbering animal can be - like watching polar bears swim.

From reading about trails and hikes, there have been a lot of problems with human attacks on humans - the reason I go armed on a hike, even on local or more accessible trails.

Great joke/story on how to tell the difference in bears.

Well I also must admit that all of these things listed above is what makes me love to hunt potentially dangerous game as well. I have found here in the southeast, the best hunting for a nasty animal that is actually likely to come for you is hogs. I really like hunting wild hogs.

Well I also must admit that all of these things listed above is what makes me love to hunt potentially dangerous game as well. I have found here in the southeast, the best hunting for a nasty animal that is actually likely to come for you is hogs. I really like hunting wild hogs.

South Texas has some big ones, from domestics breeding over the years with the native Javelina (sp?). As a young Sailor, it was nice to get invited by some of the local folks to a BBQ after they'd had a hunt - fresh pig, gulf shrimp, cold beer, and pretty Texas girls - life was indeed good. :D

South Texas has some big ones, from domestics breeding over the years with the native Javelina (sp?). As a young Sailor, it was nice to get invited by some of the local folks to a BBQ after they'd had a hunt - fresh pig, gulf shrimp, cold beer, and pretty Texas girls - life was indeed good. :D

Yes Texas has some big mean hogs. Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana also have some massive, mean hogs. Many of those have been bred with a particularly large and aggressive Russian hogs. Some guy in Louisiana decided to bring these hogs over here several years ago to have a place to hunt them. Unfortunately they got out of his property and have now spread far and wide.

This thread has now drifted, sorry. But if you are hunting or hiking in this part of the country protection from bear or hogs depending on the area, is a good idea. Out west it is bear or cougars that you might need protection from.

OK, I need some help from you guys. How do I rationally tell the wife I need to get a hog and bear pistol?

We off road Jeeps, and have seen three bears (one single and then a mama and her cub). Both times they were ahead on the trail and we just left them alone. They hardly even looked at us. Never seen any hogs, but they can usually hear us coming, so maybe that's why they stay away.

So, 44 mag revolver?

I think what matters more than what gun you have would be how hungry the bear is. If my 9mm and knife won't deter him I think a bear is too fast and strong to be stopped if he really wants you. imo anyways