Dents and dings????

Just wondering what the rest of you reloaders do with cases that have dents and dings...throw them away?...load them anyway?....see what the resizing die does?

How big of a dent is too much?....how big of a ding is too much?

Do you throw away all brass that has dings in it?

I purchased 500 pieces of used brass a little while back....I finished 400 rounds tonight...i have 6 pieces of brass left. So...with plus or minus 500 total...i've thrown out approximately 100 pieces. Is this normal?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run then through the sizer just to see what will happen. Most of the time it will round back out. if it doesn't usually a quick pop over to the belling die will fix what the sizing die didn't get.

Run them through. You will be surprised at how much of the dings go away after a run through.

Mike

Guest oldsmobile98

I have a PTR91. It dings the every single piece of brass just like any G3 or G3 clone.

I don't reload, but the dudes on HKPRO say that you can reload G3 brass if you do what Mike said.

I sold my dinged .308 brass to somebody here on TGO (warned 'em it was dinged). It kinda looks like this.

You didn't specify what type of case or what type of ding. If it is a straight walled case I too will just run it thru a belling die. If the mouth is crushed down down on any case I usually toss it. If the mouth is bent closed I use a pair of needle nose as a tapered expander and open it up. If the dent is in the body of the case, such as a 223 or 308, and it is not cut, I will load it normal and shoot it normally. Trust me, the dent will come out. I have shot many shoulder or body dented cases with no ill effects.

One thing to look for closely on bottle necked cases if a bright or burnished area in front of the case web. that shows it has been reloaded to the point the brass is stretching there and is going to separate. I have seen used brass in this condition for sale at gun shows. Not ethical but caveat emptor.

You didn't specify what type of case or what type of ding. If it is a straight walled case I too will just run it thru a belling die. If the mouth is crushed down down on any case I usually toss it. If the mouth is bent closed I use a pair of needle nose as a tapered expander and open it up. If the dent is in the body of the case, such as a 223 or 308, and it is not cut, I will load it normal and shoot it normally. Trust me, the dent will come out. I have shot many shoulder or body dented cases with no ill effects.

One thing to look for closely on bottle necked cases if a bright or burnished area in front of the case web. that shows it has been reloaded to the point the brass is stretching there and is going to separate. I have seen used brass in this condition for sale at gun shows. Not ethical but caveat emptor.

Sorry for not enough information...I am currently loading .45 ACP...the brass that I bought, had a bunch of cases that had "dents" halfway down the case.

These dents scare me...am I being too careful?

Also, the dents made me curious about what causes this...anyone know? I started looking at my brass, stuff I've shot recently, and my Rock Island Officers model is denting cases just like I found in the batch I bought.

Sounds like you are being a little picky. If there is no cutting or gouging in the dent, then just resize it and load it normally. It will iron out in the chamber under pressure. Usually what causes those are the cases coming around hard and hitting the slide hard. I am not a 1911 smith so I am not sure if it is too much extractor tension or an ejector that needs to be adjusted. I suppose it could be fired in a carbine type gun like a Uzi or a Thompson but I have no experience with those.

A dent halfway down the case wouldn't bother me unless it looked bad enough to be cracked. It'll iron out when fires. I'd worry more about severe dents near the case mouth. The sizing die will get most of them out, but watch for splitting. It isn't unusual to find dents in new brass.

Sorry. I don't know how I overlooked the pics. There shouldn't be any problem with them.

I agree. I have owned a couple of 1911's that did the same and I never had a problem with reloading the cases. It's just from the brass hitting the slide while it's being ejected.

To confirm what everyone else is saying there is nothing wrong with those cases. I also reload 45 ACP and don't even try to iron out the 1911 dings anymore. As long as the resized case chambers easily I don't worry about it. I have some cases that probably have 10 loadings on them without issue and all have had the dings.

Dolomite