TN ARMED GUARD TRAINING

Guest Zisme

I have aquestion for whoever might know... I would like to get my armed guard license in here in TN.... The thing is, When I was 18 ( I am 22 as of now) I caught a misdameanor Charge of simple possesion of marijuanna. I do not smoke or take any substances anymore and haven't for a long time. Will that hinder me getting my license at all? Also should that matter in getting my CCW? I have already taken the class for ccw, however I am hessitant in sending in all that money if I may get denied. Thanks in advance for anyhelp!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN

Were you convicted of that crime, or was it dismissed?

If you were convicted, you may want to talk with an attorney about expungement of the charges, if that's possible.

If it was dismissed, you may be good to go. However, if you send in your HCP paperwork, and it goes through, then you will probably be good to go on your armed guard license. fwiw

I'am not an attorney, however, there are several top-notch counselors on here...maybe one of them will chime in.

Remember, here in TN, we don't have CCW, we have HCP. We are not required to CC. With the permit we are allowed to CC or OC, however it is preferred to CC. However with out the permit it is legal to carry. The permit is your defense which allows you to carry here.

Good luck on getting everything cleared up.

I don’t know if it would keep you from getting a license, but it might keep you from getting a job. If you are going to work in the security field you need to try to get it expunged. But even then some places ask about arrests, not just convictions.

Drug and alcohol arrests are a glaring black mark in security work. All you can do is be honest, take responsibility and see what happens.

Good Luck.

Guest tnxdshooter

Just to let you know I have been checking into arm guard deals myself and the back ground check appeared to be even more strenuous than the hcp check. If you were convicted and it was not dismissed and cannot be expunged then you are done you cant do it. Also just to let you know the classes I have seen cost 150 plus the state fee of like 150 and then you have to pay for fingerprints separate which is about another 50 bucks. So it is going to wind up costing you close to 350 dollars. If I was not unemployed and had the cash to do it I would definitely take the class and get licensed.

you can get a TN HCP but be denied the TN Armed guard lic. be up front about your prior convictions, and have ALL of the paperwork to send in.

the best way to get the armed guard lic is to start working as an unarmed guard for a company. they will hire, fingerprint and train you. and they will take the fee's out of your checks over a couple of weeks. after you get the unarmed lic, you upgrade to armed the same way.

Walden security has the contract for VW. all guards are unarmed out there. but they pay over $11.00 an hour.

I highly recommend that you do not rely on contract security jobs for a living. only if you have to have a job now or you need a part time job for extra income.

I'm not in the security business, but is the pay increase enough for he initial investment? What is the pay scale? Is the demand for armed guards growing?

typically your pay is based upon the contract that the security company has with its client. (ie. Security Comapany A contracts with Client B, the contract MAY state the the officers will be paid X amount of dollars per hour.) typically an armed guard is paid more than an unarmed guard. but this also depends on the client location that you are assigned to. but we could say that company A pays its unarmed guards 8 and company B pays its armed guards 12. its very dependent on company/client contracts.

one thing to note, you pay for the guard license. it is not company specific. you are responsible for renewing it, just like your DL or HCP. you dont have to stay with the company that initially hired and trained you. if you got hired and trained by company A, but you company B has a position at a client that pays more. you can go to work for Company B without having to go through the state licensing again.

Armed security is usually wanted b/c most company's have more unarmed contracts than armed contracts. and sometimes it can be difficult for a company to find and then train a qualified person for an armed location. it is much easier, with less down time to hire somebody that already has an armed security license.

the demand for armed guards varies from company to company and depends greatly on the companies clients. sometimes just having an armed license can help you get a good position.

but again, unless your wanting to get into nuclear security, dont work security for a living.... been there, still doing it. but I do enjoy my job.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DanE479

Most compaines will want you to be 5 years out from any convictions.

Also, seek training from anywhere but A.P.P.S. The owner is a dinosaur that has no business training officers, and you sit through a sales pitch for pre-paid legal. I saw more politics in my Unarmed class than real information (I had been doing the job for a decade prior to wasting money on that class). There are better teachers out there that will give you much better and much more pertinant instruction.

If you've never done the job, go Unarmed first to get a little experience in how procedures are and to see whether or not you like it. Doing armed security carries a whole lot of responsibilities, and you had better make sure you want them.

• 1 year later...
Guest Blacksword
I know this post is almost a year old, but I’m sure other people may have questions about the TN Armed Guard license.

I recently got my license to run a Private Protective Service company in Tennessee and got my Armed Guard license. I don’t know if the background check is any more rigorous, but the training requirements are.
Call Pam Smith at 615-532-9126 or email her at [email="pam.cartwright.smith@tn.gov"]pam.cartwright.smith@tn.gov[/email]. She was a great help to me and can either answer your questions or direct you to someone who can.
I’m not sure where you are located, but I want to put a plug in for JWS Tactical Solutions in Knoxville. They really worked with me to train on my schedule, and I got through all of the state requirements with no problem. (865) 951-3663 Edited by Blacksword