.357 Sig pistols

nightrunner

what would my choices be should i choose get a pistol in .357 sig?

would be for concealed carry and would like a 4" barrell or shorter. XD service size or smaller

so far i have :

Springfield XD

S&W M&P

GLOCK

maybe some older H&K USPs

Sig Sauer (edited)

any others? this cartridge intrigues me to be a great CCW platform. even though it is not very popular

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot two mags through a Glock 33 (Sub Compact) a while back, and

had heard that the recoil was something to figure in... but for it was fine.

Very manageable, and controlable. Since I have given a lot of thought about

it, and the 32. Love my USPc in .357, just a little blocky.

(*Take into account that I am a small framed whimpy guy... who likes ABBA. :eek: )

I have owned several .357sig pistols.

SigPro SP2340

Sig P239

XD-357 Service

M&P 357 Fullsize

My pick of that litter is the XD Service. It is consistent, reliable, and accurate, and overall a better package for the money than any of the other 3. Of the pistols you mentioned, but I have not owned, the H&K USPc was a high-quality shooter. I never fired a .357sig version, but the .40 I got to try was less refined than a comperable Sig, and less consistent than the XD. An H&K P2000 would be a tempting choice, but I don't think worth the price-tag. I don't care for Glock ergonomics and quality at all, anyways, so a 31/32/33 would be a non-starter for me, simply from my experience with the other models I've tried.

The .357sig cartridge itself is a true performer... but it's really up to you as to which platform is most natural for you to operate. My opinion is the XD all the way... but I'm not you.

Personally... since I now have a 9mm XD to complement my .357sig XD. I won't be shooting the .357 as much, so ammo costs will be very low.

nightrunner, I noticed in your intro thread that you live in Manchester... that's just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live. And I commonly shoot at Terry Walden's in Manchester, anyways. So, if you would like to try the XD in .357sig just let me know.

Guest TN.Frank

Your best bet is to get a pistol in 40 S&W then pick up a conversion barrel for it in .357 Sig, since they both basically use the same mags and slide. That way you can have the option of shooting 40 or 357 with the same pistol.

nightrunner, I noticed in your intro thread that you live in Manchester... that's just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live. And I commonly shoot at Terry Walden's in Manchester, anyways. So, if you would like to try the XD in .357sig just let me know.

ive been to terry waldens once, just got to be too cold outside to be doing any shooting lately. i may take you up on the offer when it gets warmer. what size is it? service or tactical?

btw, do you know of any indoor shooting ranges closer than murfreesboro?

ive been to terry waldens once, just got to be too cold outside to be doing any shooting lately. i may take you up on the offer when it gets warmer. what size is it? service or tactical?

btw, do you know of any indoor shooting ranges closer than murfreesboro?

The closest indoor range I've come across is On-Target, in the 'boro. It's worth the drive to be out of the weather.

I have 2 XDs currently. The .357 is a Service model, with the 4" barrel. And I also have a 9mm Tactical (which will get you addicted to XDs if you shoot it).

Guest price g
How does .357 Sig differ from .38 Super?

The bigest difference is velocity. The sig 357 is fast, 1359ft/ 125gr bullet.

The 38 super has been around a long time and is a improved version of the 38 acp cartridge. Headspacing on older guns in 38s led to accuracy issues. Modern guns have no issues. USPSA/IPSC gamers like it due to the lower power factor.:(

How does .357 Sig differ from .38 Super?

.38 super is essentially a lengthened, lower-pressure 9mm with an enlarged case-rim. It is generally as powerful as hot 9mm +p+ loads, but not as powerful as marginal .357sig loads.

.38 super +p and 9x23mm are very powerful cartridges, stronger brass and higher pressure than regular .38 super. They can certainly be loaded hot enough to be competitive with most .357sig loads. The major differences are:

.357sig can be chambered in pistols designed for .40s&w and 9mm, whereas .38 super et al have a long overall length, similar to .45acp, and must be chambered in longer action pistols with deeper (front to back) magwells. 1911s and a few EAA witness pistols are the most common platforms.

.357sig is a bottleneck case design, which can handle very high pressures, and promotes reliable feeding even with bullets with a wide flat or hollow point. If you look at the best JHP bullets specifically designed for the .357sig, the bullet has very little taper, and a shallow cavity... it acts much like a wadcutter with a slightly hollowed nose. 9x23/.38super is a straight-walled case design which allows for easier re-loading, and a higher capacity within a given size/length magazine (similar to 9mm vs. .357sig).

Both offer similar performance, but they have been adapted for 2 different purposes... the .38super/9x23mm is primarily used in this country for competition, to make power-factor with a cartridge which offers good capacity in a 140mm magazine. The .357sig was developed to offer exceptional terminal performance (mimicking a 125gr .357magnum load) in a standard size duty pistol.