Time To Write The Reps

The Rabbi

I received this off the uber-liberal E.Nashville list-serve. Of course I immediate emailed my rep to oppose the measure. I pointed out that regulation always imposes a cost, usually on the consumer. In this case the cost will fall hardest on poor and working class people. And of course it is merely "feel good" legislation.

I have just learned that the Tennessee State Senate Commerce Committee

is discussing on Tuesday, January 29th, 2008, whether or not to

require labeling of food containing genetically modified organisms.

According to the Tennessee General Assembly website,

"this bill (*SB2592 / HB2854) requires the departments of agriculture

and health to require, by regulation, that all food for human

consumption that has been genetically altered or modified, which is

sold or served in establishments that each department inspects shall

be appropriately labeled or notice shall be appropriately given to the

public that such food has been genetically altered or modified or

contains an ingredient that has been genetically altered or modified."

Please make sure your voice is heard on this very important issue

through one or all of the following methods of communication:

1. Attend Pre--Commerce Meeting, Tuesday, Jan. 29th, at 7:30am, at

Legislative Plaza, room 12, and speak out.

2. Attend Commerce Meeting same day, same place, at 1:30 and speak

out.

3. Contact the sponsoring legislators and your own state senators and

representatives through phone, email or letter. Letter is considered

to be the most effective form of communication PLEASE FAX YOUR LETTER

IF POSSIBLE.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a couple of people that will not eat microwaved food. One explained it that there is a lot of question about what actually happens to food on the moleculer (sp) level when it is nuked.

of course you do not read about this stuff in main stream media.

I know a couple of people that will not eat microwaved food. One explained it that there is a lot of question about what actually happens to food on the moleculer (sp) level when it is nuked.

There might be a reason for that, beyond conspiracy theories. It might actually be that there are NO changes whatsoever. We have about 40 years' experience with microwave cooking. Any significant patterns would have emerged by now. They haven't.

I know some people like that. They believe in just about every conspiracy theory you've ever heard of. :D

So....is genetically altered food kosher?

Sure, why wouldn't it be?

The food you eat right now is genetically altered. Probably every type of produce was unknown 200 years ago. Now there is a move for "heritage" tomatoes and such. That is simply recovering old species. The new species came into being through selective breeding, i.e. genetic alteration. Whether you accomplish that by altering DNA the new fangled way or by selective breeding, it is the same thing.

Yeah, in one way or another, all the food has been genetically altered, whether purposely by man or accidentally by nature.

I know someone in California who was adamant the last time I saw him that Pasteurization of milk makes it eat your gut out. The world is full of people who have all sorts of strange ideas about food safety. I see no need to cater to the paranoid.

What I want is a label on food that says it tastes good because the fat, salt, and sugar has not been reduced in order to make it more healthy.

...darn, there goes my resturaunt idea.

"Enjoy a Cloneburger! 100% lab-created beef substitute is nutritious and tastes great!"

On the billboard, have a picture of a chicken and a cow holding a sign that says: "eet mor clonez"...

...but now my dream is all but destroyed.

Guest jackdog

Regardless of how you feel about the subject, The consumer has a right to know what is in the product he is eating as well as the country of origin. would I eat cat fish from china No.

I agree, but pretty soon it will get to the point that the FDA must approve private vegetable gardens...

The solution is not more governmental control. If people want to know what is in their food, they will patronize businesses who choose to do so for that market. But of course, the US government does have juresdiction over imported goods.

Regardless of how you feel about the subject, The consumer has a right to know what is in the product he is eating as well as the country of origin. would I eat cat fish from china No.

Why is that a "right" that needs a gov't fiat? If you are doubtful about the product, don't buy it. Very simple. I am reasonably sure that most companies will respond to inquiries as to where their product comes from.

I already see companies touting their product as "organic" or "not from GMO" and selling them at a premium. More power to them.

I remember once having an issue with some colored bell peppers from Israel. I needed to know whether they adhered to certain agricultural laws. This was a small company in israel and they responded by email in a relatively short time.

Guest jackdog

The amount of crap coming in this county from china alone is scary to me. In this day and age I would not trust most corporations to tell me the truth. But hey to each his own.

I don't want a .gov mandate to label anything, they mess up everything they touch. However, I won't buy anything not labeled as GMO free. Looks like Kroger and I think Publix have already said they won't carry GMO meat. The market will dictate as it should, the .gov needs to stay out of it.

The best thing in my opinion is to produce as much of your own as you can. I do and this year will be producing even more of my own so I know where it comes from and exactly what goes in. :-)

I couldn't care less if I'm eating a Genetically Modified Organism. If I am, it's probably cheaper and more tasty than a non-GMO one.

Boy, you want to see a bunch of crackpots, just do a Google search on the anti-GMO sites. These people are as nutty and make claims as wild as PETA.

They need to figure out how to make a good GMO steak, burgers etc, that are full of flavor, reduces bad cholesterol, raises the good, increases metabolism, improves heart function, lowers blood preassure......hell you can clone one, while you are at it make it good for me!

I don't think it hurts a business the least to add to the label if it has

been "cloned", or "signifigantly genetically altered".

I'm in printing... when the nutrition labels became norm we didn't see

the cost past down to the buyer because there was almost no cost.

Labels are printed every hour in America. [sarcasm] If anything it "spured" the economy by having labels redesigned to make room for the nutritional facts. [/sarcasm]

If you leave it up to big business (who hold no loyality to any nation, or

people for that matter) and are looking to increase the profit anyway they can... then yeah... I think government regulation is the way to go.

Some will argue that a company has nothing to gain by putting food

out there that is harmful because it cuts into their profits in the long run.

While that sounds logical on the surface, ethics are the first casualty in

the race to be competative and profitable. The truth is (IMHO) that the consumer's voice is easily silenced by huge multi-national corporations

that have the money and the influence to manipulate policies.

While I agree that consumers should express their concerns at the cash register... food is not a commodity that you can just "research" before you

buy. It's a necessity for life. You shouldn't have to make a list of what you

want to buy and spend a couple of hours online to see if it is "cloned" meat. Simply because Tyson doesn't want to add a 1"x1" square on the

packaging, and has the money to lobby against it. If I don't like where

a hammer is made, or how it is made I can simply not buy it... food, I believe, is a different thing all together.

Why are the large corporations against it? Because if two packs of chicken were presented to you... and one has a sticker saying "Genetically altered" or "Cloned"... more people will buy the one without the sticker. Without stickers... the consumer will not see a price difference and will not know of the difference. The large companies will pocket any money saved in cloning and use it to add to their profits.

I'm sure Tyson has a stack of scientific papers stating no harmful effects

from "cloned" meat. The same way big tobacco had stacks of scientific papers stating nicotine wasn't harmful or addictive back in the 50's.

(Again IMHO) They want cloning because they see a cost savings and more profits.... but they see "stickers" as a way of "tainting" (pun intended) there product causing them to have to reduce the prices top make them more attactive to consumers and better able to compete against non-altered meat.

Anyhoo... just my two cents... Sorry this went on so long.

(I also reserve the right to completely change my opinion on this

subject at anytime, in the opposite direction. :cheers:)