Abandoned Buildings in Middle TN or East TN?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

So me and a friend of mine do photography, and we got to talking about wanting to check out some old abandoned places. I was wondering if there was some good abandoned plants, buildings, or maybe few houses in East TN (preferably), and maybe Middle TN?

If there is, do you know of any and how to get there?

We'd like it to be secluded if possible meaning better shots without people around to interfere.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out Pressmans Home its in Rogersville its a cool old place and used to be a community back in fourties and fifties. it has cool old press house

school and a beautiful old church with awesome stained glass.(as long as vandals havent destroyed it.) you do have to ask permission to be on property

but the owners live on site. and if you dont they will find you quickly trust me. we used to play there back when I was a kid.

Guest coldblackwind

There's one on statesville highway near watertown, my dad slipped into it one day, he said everything is still there, beds, clothes, the works. Real spooky is how he described it.

check out Pressmans Home its in Rogersville its a cool old place and used to be a community back in fourties and fifties. it has cool old press house

school and a beautiful old church with awesome stained glass.(as long as vandals havent destroyed it.) you do have to ask permission to be on property

but the owners live on site. and if you dont they will find you quickly trust me. we used to play there back when I was a kid.

+1

The owner(s) are good people that will allow you to look around with permission. It is a very nice piece of property with plenty of old buildings for you to explore.

Dolomite

Be careful not to violate trespass laws...

Ghost Towns of Tennessee may have some places of interest.

TEN IN TENNESSEE ENDANGERED LISTS | Tennessee Preservation Trust The trust has several buildings which are "endangered" - perhaps taking pictures of these will aid in their preservation?

As for Nashville, most locations downtown area are not abandoned.

If you can locate the Bruceton, TN railroad yard, there is the last N. C. and St.L. roundhouse. Neat little location. Again, be careful, as it is on railroad property.

Is the old Tennessee State Prison still around?

Edited by HvyMtl
Be careful not to violate trespass laws...

Ghost Towns of Tennessee may have some places of interest.

TEN IN TENNESSEE ENDANGERED LISTS | Tennessee Preservation Trust The trust has several buildings which are "endangered" - perhaps taking pictures of these will aid in their preservation?

As for Nashville, most locations downtown area are not abandoned.

If you can locate the Bruceton, TN railroad yard, there is the last N. C. and St.L. roundhouse. Neat little location. Again, be careful, as it is on railroad property.

Is the old Tennessee State Prison still around?

Wow. Tellico Plains is listed as a ghost town. That is funny. I grew up there. I wouldn't go so far as to list it as a ghost town, but it does have some interesting things to see.

Guest TargetShooter84

That's an idea there....are the owners hard to reach? Do you just walk up to their house and ask permission? Or what?

There's one on statesville highway near watertown, my dad slipped into it one day, he said everything is still there, beds, clothes, the works. Real spooky is how he described it.

Is it a house? Or what?

There is also an old nuclear facility that was being built up Phipps Bend. I would love to go up and see that. It was cancelled back in the 70's or so. The cooling towers still exist. It is outside of Surgoinsville. The Hawkins County owns it now.

Hey, I like that one. Is it fenced off or is it accessible to the inside? Is there a specific name for that plant?

The last time I was at the Pressman estate, which was at least 5 years ago, they had dogs that made me uncomfortable about getting out of the car. I pulled up to one end of the warehouse and honked my horn then went around back to the "loading area" and honked it again. After a few minutes the owners came out. They showed us a around for a few minutes then lets us look around so long as we didn't take or disturb anything.

The on site church is amazing with all the stained glass. There are a lot of buildings that are caving in on themselves and could eb dangerous to go into. We did and saw some neet looking items. Most of the buildings are long void of anything of interest or value mostly because the estate was the party place for decades. When the owners now took possession they said it took months to "convince" the locals that they could no longer party there. He even said they were threatened and had people taking pot shots at the factory when they wouldn't allow people to party there anymore.

Farther down the road but sitll on the same plot is a large golf course with some interesting buildings that are still being used. They almost look like dutch cottages.

Dolomite

Guest coldblackwind

The one I was talking about was a house. I'm certain I know of a real good one...but I can't for the life of me remember where. I used a know a great, 3 story old farm house in NY, place was awesome, you wanna see and abandoned house, wow! If you just want abandon buildings, drive down the main street in auburntown, most of the buildings are abandoned. I'm thinking 3 old stores (like, mid-early 1900's old probably, mainstreet strip style), and an old garage/gas station he's using for storage now.

Guest TargetShooter84
It was called Phipps Bend.

Google it. It is pretty awesome, and the history surrounding it and the other incomplete facilities.

Will google it up and if I have questions, I'll ask you.

The last time I was at the Pressman estate, which was at least 5 years ago, they had dogs that made me uncomfortable about getting out of the car. I pulled up to one end of the warehouse and honked my horn then went around back to the "loading area" and honked it again. After a few minutes the owners came out. They showed us a around for a few minutes then lets us look around so long as we didn't take or disturb anything.

The on site church is amazing with all the stained glass. There are a lot of buildings that are caving in on themselves and could eb dangerous to go into. We did and saw some neet looking items. Most of the buildings are long void of anything of interest or value mostly because the estate was the party place for decades. When the owners now took possession they said it took months to "convince" the locals that they could no longer party there. He even said they were threatened and had people taking pot shots at the factory when they wouldn't allow people to party there anymore.

Farther down the road but sitll on the same plot is a large golf course with some interesting buildings that are still being used. They almost look like dutch cottages.

Dolomite

That sounds like a sweet large property to check out. Gonna add that to the "To Do" list of places to check out.

talk about scary

I used to deliver there, seeing the place just before the sun comes up and the fog nestled over the old stone and rusty barb wire

Its pretty creepy

I have seen the prison from a distance but was hoping to get closer to it and get a close up pics of it, maybe up to where the gate is or maybe a little bit past it if thats possible.

The one I was talking about was a house. I'm certain I know of a real good one...but I can't for the life of me remember where. I used a know a great, 3 story old farm house in NY, place was awesome, you wanna see and abandoned house, wow! If you just want abandon buildings, drive down the main street in auburntown, most of the buildings are abandoned. I'm thinking 3 old stores (like, mid-early 1900's old probably, mainstreet strip style), and an old garage/gas station he's using for storage now.

I'm not too sure where Auburntown is located exactly? But I like the idea of the old stores from the 1900's. I'm assuming they're closed off or have people gone inside to look around?

Guest coldblackwind

I'm not too sure where Auburntown is located exactly? But I like the idea of the old stores from the 1900's. I'm assuming they're closed off or have people gone inside to look around?

Auburntown is between smithville and murfreesboro in middle tn, on highway 96, probably about 2.5-3 hours from knoxville. They are closed off (so far as I know, never really tried), but it's a very small town, with pretty good people. Should be able to find out who owns them easily at the cannon county clerks office in woodbury, or just by asking passersby, and I'd be pretty confident that the owners would let you poke around, knowing the people in this area. Not sure how old they are exactly, but at some point, auburntown almost got to be a booming little town....then it didn't, lol. I'll snap a cell phone picture next time I go past them, and post it.

Guest TargetShooter84
Auburntown is between smithville and murfreesboro in middle tn, on highway 96, probably about 2.5-3 hours from knoxville. They are closed off (so far as I know, never really tried), but it's a very small town, with pretty good people. Should be able to find out who owns them easily at the cannon county clerks office in woodbury, or just by asking passersby, and I'd be pretty confident that the owners would let you poke around, knowing the people in this area. Not sure how old they are exactly, but at some point, auburntown almost got to be a booming little town....then it didn't, lol. I'll snap a cell phone picture next time I go past them, and post it.

I like small towns and so does she. That'll be another place to add to our list then. Definitely do post pics whenever you can! Thanks!

if you know the address of any property in TN you can get the owners information at tnrealestate.com home page

Sweet! That should help lessen the hassle of having to contact county offices then. Problem is finding the exact address first lol.

Guest coldblackwind

1203101600.jpg

The supports on that one around the side are actually just small tree trunks, or big branches cut to the same length. There used to be two stores in that one, all you can still read is the drug store sign. You can see the service station down the street a bit.

1203101601.jpg

Thats the service station. These actually look a lot neater in person, they look a lot more modern in the pictures for some reason.

Basically, if you just bomb around the back roads around here you can find all sorts of things. I actually know where there's an entire abandoned school, but I'd have to think about that one for a minute, and probably try a road or two before I got it right. Up by Gassaway if I recall. There's some 19th century buildings up that way too, but they're more pile of rubble than abandoned house at this point. Neat one up on sycamore creek road too, my girlfriend actually lived in that one when she was a kid, big old 2 story place. If you come this way, let me know and I'll try to point you toward a few more to make it worth the drive. I know of a ton of them up by my parents in western NY, where we bombed around the back roads in a Jeep when we were teenagers, but I haven't found quite as many around here.

Guest TargetShooter84
1203101600.jpg

The supports on that one around the side are actually just small tree trunks, or big branches cut to the same length. There used to be two stores in that one, all you can still read is the drug store sign. You can see the service station down the street a bit.

1203101601.jpg

Thats the service station. These actually look a lot neater in person, they look a lot more modern in the pictures for some reason.

Basically, if you just bomb around the back roads around here you can find all sorts of things. I actually know where there's an entire abandoned school, but I'd have to think about that one for a minute, and probably try a road or two before I got it right. Up by Gassaway if I recall. There's some 19th century buildings up that way too, but they're more pile of rubble than abandoned house at this point. Neat one up on sycamore creek road too, my girlfriend actually lived in that one when she was a kid, big old 2 story place. If you come this way, let me know and I'll try to point you toward a few more to make it worth the drive. I know of a ton of them up by my parents in western NY, where we bombed around the back roads in a Jeep when we were teenagers, but I haven't found quite as many around here.

That's the type of buildings we are looking for, just old and abandoned, but still shows.

Thank you for sharing those pictures! We will be adding that location on our "To Go" list then! Problem is finding the date to go with our schedule conflicts so when we decide to go there, I will contact you and let you know for sure so you can show us around.

Many thanks for those information!

As far as the Tn. Prison in Nashville, it still has a prison guard or two at the gate. There was a movie being filmed there back in October.

I got into the building where Old Sparky used to be. It still has "that smell" and a slight aura about it.

Not to directly hijack,is there anywhere in Tn that has some of the cobblestones and buildings that resemble Germany during the 2nd World War?

I am looking to find some of them if anyone can help.

Thanks!