Favored Gun-Stance

Guest Octo

I'm just curious as to what your favored gunfighting stances are. There are a fair number out there: Isosceles, Weaver (and the modified versions thereof), Center Axis Relock, etc. If you use a modified version of one of these, or if you happen to use a less well-known stance, please explain the pros and cons. Also please cite what firearm you are using for what stance. Just curious.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

That being said, usually I shoot squared to the target, hips back weight forward, both arms extended.

What ever the name for that is, it's what I do.

Mike

Edited by Mike
If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

That being said, usually I shoot squared to the target, hips back weight forward, both arms extended.

What ever the name for that is, it's what I do.

Mike

I do as well. The reason for me is probably the same reason for you, to expose as much of my vest to the target as possible. When standing squared it provides as much coverage as possible. If I try to "get small" by tuning sidways it opens me to shot through the armpits that will likely be fatal. There was a lot of problems with that until LE and others started using shoulder panels. I also found it easier to shoot while moving through the target when squared up. By using this stance it allows you to move more naturally than standing sideways or partially sideways.

Dolomite

Guest Guy N. Cognito

Having a good stance is the foundation of good shooting, even if you later have to learn to shoot while moving, taking cover or retreating. I prefer isosceles, because it mimics the natural human tendencies under stress.

If you can't shoot standing still, you definitely can't shoot while moving. Learn the basics first.

I practice to shoot one handed, and I practice with each hand. I am confident that I can shoot this way from many positions, crouched or prone, sitting or standing, in a car, etc. My body is turned to provide a smaller target toward the attacker if standing or similar. The disadvantage is that rapid fire at long range is difficult to master; at 30 feet or so a 6 inch group is about the best I can do. I carry a small .40 caliber, and sometimes a 380 when the 40 is too hard to conceal (rare). The 40 is rough 1 handed, for sure (more for the weaker hand), but with practice I have learned to control it. I used the 2h weaver for years but one day I just decided to see if I could learn to shoot this way in case one hand were injured or whatever, and liked it better --- the style is natural for me and I think that would not be the case for most people.

I've always just shot from wherever my feet were planted, with however many hands that position would allow me to get on the gun. Even standing on a firing line in a supposedly-stationary position, I still probably never fire 2 shots in a row from exactly the same position. To quote Jack Weaver, "Hell, I can probably come up with something while falling out of a tree, if I have to".

I guess I'm just not very tactical...

Edited by Jamie
Guest Tom Givens

FIRING (FIGHTING) PLATFORM

The shooter needs a balanced, poised, defensive posture, one which provides stability, flexibility, and mobility. The feet should be kept shoulder width apart, the gun-side foot back slightly, knees unlocked, and upper body weight biased slightly forward. “Keep your nose over your toes.”

FIRING (FIGHTING) PLATFORM

The shooter needs a balanced, poised, defensive posture, one which provides stability, flexibility, and mobility. The feet should be kept shoulder width apart, the gun-side foot back slightly, knees unlocked, and upper body weight biased slightly forward. “Keep your nose over your toes.”

That's all well and good right up 'til the sum'bitch you're gunfighting with ( who probably didn't have the common courtesy to inform you that you were about to BE in a gunfight in the first place ) starts shooting... and then you're apt to find yourself shooting over your own shoulder while you're diving for cover. And that's if you get a chance to shoot back at all.

Go ahead, ask me how I know this... :)

Edited by Jamie
Guest Guy N. Cognito
That's all well and good right up 'til the sum'bitch you're gunfighting with ( who probably didn't have the common courtesy to inform you that you were about to BE in a gunfight in the first place ) starts shooting... and then you're apt to find yourself shooting over your own shoulder while you're diving for cover. And that's if you get a chance to shoot back at all.

Go ahead, ask me how I know this... :D

You don't know who you're debating here, do you? ;)

Guest tnxdshooter

I prefer a weaver or modified weaver most of the time. Sometimes when I get tired I will shoot iscoselese Spelling?

I prefer the weaver or modified weaver for two reasons.

1. There is less of your body exposed to be shot it is hard to shoot someone center mass if they are in a weaver.

2. It feels the most comfortable for me.

Modern Isosceles.

Feet square, shoulder width apart, knees flexed, leaned forward at the waist, shoulders rolled forward, arms out, elbows bent slightly and head down to match my wrists for easy sight aquisition.

Works beautifully for any pistol, and use basically the same stance for rifles.

You don't know who you're debating here, do you? ;)

Wasn't a debate, simply an observation. And yeah, I know who he is.

But then, y'all probably wouldn't believe some of the things I've been known to say to some rather well-know gun-writers, over on Dean Spier's old board either. :stick:

One way or the other, I'm not selling anything. :)