Mama Grizzly vs Caribou

JG55

OK, I have to point one think out about Sarah Palin in that Video.

She went hunting with a gun she had never shot before.

Hey Dad

Does it kick?

no. no kick

He always says that.

I would expect any Big Game Rifle to have some kick. BTW, don't go hunting with a gun you have never shot yourself. He even had to work the bolt for her.

Couple things, anyone that knows anything about hunting should call BS.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

When I first started to watch the vid...I copied it and sent it to my wife...she likes nature stuff...I was expecting to see the caribou give the bear a decent sorta fight...well I forgot that caribou is a snack pac for a bear...so I "moved on"...about 5 minutes later my wife IM's me and in all CAPS and says...thanks for sending me a animal DEATH video...my only come back was...silly caribou should known better than to mess with a momma griz....

Typically bear, especially ones with cubs find enough meat from recently dead moose or caribou. They rarely chase down and fight caribou unless they are very young or maimed. So most full grown caribou have had few fight experiences with bear. Unless of course food has been scarce and the bear are itching for a fight. Caribou can run pretty fast, especially on the tundra ground. But, if a bear catches a caribou a bit by surprise I would not bet against the bear. Caribou usually worry more about wolves. And not even the bears like wolves. Wolves are extremely impressive creatures in person.

One of the most impressive moments I ever had on a hunt was sitting at the top of of a hill in the upper regions of the Northwest Territories. It was a chilly and very foggy morning. We could not see very far in front of us and could not see any life at all, but when clear there we could easily see 30 miles or more. My hunting partner was an Inuit Indian from the northern islands of Canada. He made much of his living hunting wolves and knew them well. I asked him if he thought there were wolves around. He said, oh yeah they're here. He said, watch this and he started howling like a wolf. All of a sudden the entire valley started resonating with the howls of wolves. The howls went on for a long time, probably 10 minutes. Not seeing anything, it was quite unsettling. Now to get back on track.

That caribou never had a chance once he decided to stand and fight. The only possible worry a bear has is a pack of wolves or a mad moose. They are pretty mch the top of the food chain.

Edited by Warbird
I kinda thought this was a metphor for sarah palin vs the caribou on tlc. In case no one saw it. she missed alot before she switched rifles and then nailed it. But the whole time the caribou just wandered back and forth until the final shot took him down. Kinda like the above video..

HAs anybody figured out how Davy Crockett killed his bear ?

That was a nice metaphor, JG55! :up:

Sad to hear you don't have the ability to reason, I sure do. Humans also have faith, except for those humans who choose to be animals...

People are controlled by their instincts and "programming" far more than they'd care to admit. The big difference between humans and the other animals is that the humans will rationalize and make excuses for their behavior where the other animals won't.

As for "faith"... well we just won't go there. Mostly because the rules here won't allow it, and it would only result in a fight anyway.

Guest 70below

Typically Caribou rely on safety in numbers and herd up. Apparently Rudolph-ette here may have been injured or diseased to have gotten separated from the herd and be so close to a bear and her cubs. Caribou are quite dumb though. The first caribou I ever shot was about 125yds away and my dad got it to come in about 50yds by taking off his blaze orange hat and waving it in the air. The young buck came in to see what that flashing was. Not the best of survival skills. Another time, a couple days after caribou season was over, we were hunting moose and heading down a ATV trail by a small herd. Instead of running off as we got near, they began to group closer and run with the ATV in the middle of the group.

People are controlled by their instincts and "programming" far more than they'd care to admit. The big difference between humans and the other animals is that the humans will rationalize and make excuses for their behavior where the other animals won't.

As for "faith"... well we just won't go there. Mostly because the rules here won't allow it, and it would only result in a fight anyway.

Sounds like we got a real scientist here....Rationality IS the exercise of reason, again, one of the largest differences with humans. Faith, which I pointed out earlier, is another difference with humans, animals can't experience faith, they might trust and be loyal but not experience faith. Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Guest drv2fst
Sounds like we got a real scientist here....Rationality IS the exercise of reason, again, one of the largest differences with humans. Faith, which I pointed out earlier, is another difference with humans, animals can't experience faith, they might trust and be loyal but not experience faith. Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Dude, this is a thread about a cool video of a bear and a caribou. If you want to preach, that's cool, just start your own thread. I'm sorry if I sent you down this path. I was trying to make a light joke about how people are not much smarter than a Caribou, not debate faith or philosophy. Let's get back on topic about this video.

I was rooting for the Stupid Caribou, that Bear was on a mission and had a plan though....:)

The 'bou had a plan too... and maybe even a bit o' faith that it'd work for him.

We all saw how that went though... :blink:

Guest Letereat!

The 'bou had a plan too... and maybe even a bit o' faith that it'd work for him.

We all saw how that went though... :) Jamie

Yea but I bet That Bear had Just got finished giving a burnt offering and was more contrite in prayer...CLEARLY the Lord favord her

Edited by Letereat!
Yea but I bet That Bear had Just got finished giving a burnt offering and was more contrite in prayer...CLEARLY the Lord favord her

Or maybe she was just a bigger bitch than the 'bou...

( ... I've been married to one'a those, btw... :) )

The lord may work in mysterious ways, but there's no wondering or guessing at hormones gone awry... :blink:

Guest Letereat!
Or maybe she was just a bigger bitch than the 'bou...

( ... I've been married to one'a those, btw... :) )

The lord may work in mysterious ways, but there's no wondering or guessing at hormones gone awry... ;)

:blink: Yes indeed VERY mysterious...Like convincing untold throngs that they really need to follow him and do just as he commands or he'll have to throw em in that lake over thare burnin with brimstone and sulfer.......

OHHHHHHH thats right....THE GOLD and JEWELS **** I almost forgot, Damit......Well.... screw it..Im doin the "Sinners Swing":blink:

Simmer down there, Letereat! No religious frenzies, else you earn yourself a vacation, and provoke me to beat you over the head with some religious text or the other. :blink:

( And you know I will too. :) )

Nope... It was just a bear, doing what bears do.

... just like people have been doing what people do, for quite some time now.

Too bad evolution works so slowly sometimes...