Minotaur MTAC Issue

Guest waldo

I have a Minotaur holster that I carry a Colt Defender in daily. I think it is very comfortable. The only problem I have with it is that it allows the grip of the gun to contact my skin and in the summer when I sweat, it is causing the finish to come off. It probably would not be an issue with a poly gun but I really like my Colt. Here's a few pics.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/Gun002.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/Gun001.jpg

I have done some netn' and found this but it is only for a 5" Colt.

concealed carry holsters | iwb holsters | hybrid holsters | kydex holsters

Does anybody have any resources of a hybrid holster that that will provide a barrier between me and the grip of the gun?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman

Two quick questions: What finish or coating is on the gun? Would having the barrier there not significantly impede your being able to properly access and grip the gun?

I sent it to Colt about a year ago for some other work and had them refinish it because of an idiot scratch I put in it after I bought it in about 97. I don't think drawing would be a problem but maybe it would. Is there someone in middle Tenn that does good Parkerizeing?

I sent it to Colt about a year ago for some other work and had them refinish it because of an idiot scratch I put in it after I bought it in about 97. I don't think drawing would be a problem but maybe it would. Is there someone in middle Tenn that does good Parkerizeing?

I would call Colt. Sweat shouldnt cause that. It appears the coating was not done properly. I would have a duty coat or molycote put on, but Im not aware of gunsmiths in your area. Hero Gear would do it they are in Winchester.

• 1 year later...

OK, old thread revisited. A few months ago I had the extractor break, so I was forced to send it in. I was shooting some OLD ammo and I think that had a lot to do with the failure! Since I had to send it in I also mentioned the finish issue and safety issue. I think the safety issue is in another thread. Long story as short as possible. They replaced the extractor and fixed the safety issue. They advised that the finish they applied before was Teflon and did not hold up to perspiration and now all they use is ceracoat. They offered to refinish my frame for free or replace for $200 with a new serial number. I opted for the free deal. They did advise that some pitting would still be seen but they would do the best they could to smooth it out. I think they should have replaced it free of charge because it was their inferior coating that caused it but, what do you do. Got it back a few weeks ago and have run about 100 through it and it is all good. I can tell you that this finish is MUCH tougher than the Teflon. I polish the feed ramp with Flitz and the old finish took about 5 minutes to make it look like a mirror. I have worked on this for about 45 minutes 3 separate times and the finish is still there. It is smoother but it does not look like a mirror. I think this will last. Just thought I would post this for anybody thinking about finish option. Below are some pics. I did opt to put the original rubber grips back on.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/COLT001.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/COLT002-1.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/COLT-1.jpg

Edited by waldo

You must have very acidic skin oils. A machinist I used to work with had to wear gloves all the time because his fingerprints would corrode bare steel in a matter of hours. It was amazing.

You might try wearing an "Under Armor" type shirt between you and the gun. I think it helps in hot weather.