Metroarms American Classic "Commander" 1911

Guest spoolie

Guest spoolie

As of last week I picked up yet another 1911 pistol. This one is the American Classic from Metroarms in the "Commander" size. I like the feel of this weapon and its size. It fits tightly into my Crossbreed ST holster because of the bells and whistles that come with the gun (extended slide stop and extended safety levers). It comes with a combat trigger, skeletonized hammer, extended mag release, serrated rear slide, and combat grip safety. It came with nice wooden grips but were replaced with rubber Pierce grips the same day. I have ran about 500 down the tube with the only problem being is that the slide is coming back to fast and damaging some of my brass (no big deal, the Hornady press will fix those). I just got off Midway's site for a Hiviz front sight and a few magazines. Not really a bad price for Metroarms version of a high end 1911.

On to the pics (all 2 of them), I have my flame suit on.

6362b485-bf78-908a.jpg

6362b485-bf8f-e290.jpg

Edited by spoolie
grammar.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

I have seen them at Austin's Tennessee Firearms in Oak Ridge and really liked them. I was going to get one till business dropped off and I can't even afford bullets atm.

For the money I don't think they can be beat.

No flames here either, that's a nice looking shooter.

Y'all keep talking about price... If you don't mind saying, how much do they run?

Besides, it's not like they have to cost a million bucks to be a decent gun.

Damn, that's a good price.

I paid around $300, dealer's cost, for a Norinco back in the early '90s that looked a whole lot worse than that one, and without any of the extras. So if it shoots anywhere near as nice as it looks, you got a steal.

Edited by Jamie
Guest spoolie

It put consistent groups anywhere on the target...I've always had a hard time with target acquisition with the white front dot, that's the reason for the Hiviz.

That is a nice looking pistol and I can not think of another commander in that price range that I would rather have.

The only flame I can come up with: You should show us the wood grips as well. But then again, I just love any 1911 with wood grips.

I too own the same gun, had some issues with a broken barrel bushing (substandard MIM part) and the sear needed a little dressing (thank you Dolomite!)

My price was exactly the same, $470 + tax at the September show in Knox.

Have since run 400 trouble free rounds through it.

When I started my 1911 quest, I wanted a Commander-size and the AC had all the "bells and whistles" I wanted.

I have a goverment model but don't have enough rounds through it yet to be totally comfortable with it. So far I'm happy with it. I did order and just received a DonHume OWB holster and am surprised at how tight a full size 1911 can be tucked away and well it can be carried and conceled with just a shirt tail.

I have a goverment model but don't have enough rounds through it yet to be totally comfortable with it. So far I'm happy with it. I did order and just received a DonHume OWB holster and am surprised at how tight a full size 1911 can be tucked away and well it can be carried and conceled with just a shirt tail.

I can hide my full size 1911 better than the Glock 17 I had. I have probably 600 rounds through my Metro Arms without a problem. I have now replaced every MIM part except the slide stop and hammer. The Kart barrel bushing I fitted made an even bigger difference in the accuracy. I am very, very pleased with mine.

Dolomite

Guest spoolie

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it...but after tomorrow it will have over 3000 rounds down the pipe, I'm going to break this thing in to see how it performs after 6-8,000 rounds.

I've rebuilt tons of 1911's and have plenty of parts, so if the bushing craps out at the range I have a spare already sanded to fit in my gun bag....along with other parts so I can fix it on site and keep torturing it.

Guest spoolie

Still around 3200...didn't go shooting today...going Thursday. My son is teething really bad, so we hung out today. I'm afraid of the barrel bushing as I read more into it. I'm thinking of replacing it, can I find a commander length barrel bushing or will I have to machine a regular one down? So begins another 1911 rebuild.