truck gun?

my82cam

i always hear people say "this gun will make a good truck/beater gun" but do people really have "truck" guns and if so, what is it and lets see how rough they are and where you keep them in your truck. i believe i have said that same thing before, but i don't keep any guns in my truck, just my carry weapon which never leaves my side.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

I also read ads and posts about "HELP---gun stolen from my truck..."

I'm with you. Keep one on me, so I don't have to try to remember what I did with my 'truck' gun.

I have 93 Mauser 8mm that I put together action came from an antique mall $35.00 barrel came from my brother free stock $45.00 Ebay scope I had scope mount and rings $30.00. I keep it in my truck behind the seat under my coveralls during deer season just in case I get off work early wont have to go home to get a rifle.1618.jpg

I guess it depends on where you live and the needs you might have for such a gun. Personally I used to live on a fairly large spread of land. I worked on the land doing whatever might need to be done. I always kept a gun in my truck, or actually any one of four Willy's Jeeps. There are also times when traveling that i carry a rifle in my truck.

Guest coldblackwind

I have a mossberg 500 mariner that I toss in my truck occasionally if I'm going somewhere bad, but nothing I keep there all the time. I do have a 1916 spanish mauser sporter in 7mm mauser that I picked up at a pawn shop for $100 that lives in the barn full time. Its my 2 and 4 legged varmint gun being as the house is about 1/4 mile up one heck of a hill from the barn! Its even technically in a truck (does it count if the truck doesn't run?). I'll snap a picture of it next time I'm down there if you really wanna see it.

Guest Ditchdigger

I keep a Bersa Firestorm .380 in the work truck. Got to use it this summer on a wild pig. It had been hit, and broke down its its hip. Put it down. My only experence with a wild pig.

Guest tngw1500se

My friend HAD a truck gun. One morning he got up and the truck gun was gone. I have no truck gun. I have a hip gun. No guns are left out of the safe unless it's on my hip or nightstand. The gun came first then the safe. I want a shotgun but I'm not getting one until I get a safe that will hold it. Right now I just have a pistol safe.

My neighbor also HAD a loaded Glock he left at home. Now he has no Glock.

Might be ok to keep a gun at home out of a safe if it was hidden well.

Edited by tngw1500se

I guess it depends on where you live. Where I live I can't remember the last time someone got broken in to. All of us that carry have to leave our guns at home or in the car or truck at some time or another unless you want to risk loosing your carry permit or never go to the hospital, DMV or any government office or posted business. its just a risk you either are willing to take or not. Record your serial numbers and take pictures of All of your guns and put the info in a few different places in case the worst happens. To each his own I am just glad I live in a state that I can, even though the state makes me jump through hoops to do it.

Guest 1817ak47

for my truck I have a rossi 20 ga single shot 3" chamber. thought it has never been in there for that purpose I always have that option since I can't even sell the stupid thing.

With the questionable legality of having a firearm in my vehicle where I work, given that we generally drive my wife's vehicle on weekends, I don't keep a 'truck gun'. That said, if it were not for that questionable legality - or if ever my employment situation is such that the legality is not questionable - I will most likely keep a 'truck gun' and it will probably be either a single-shot shotgun or - even better - one of the Rossi 'matched pairs' that will have both a single shot shotgun and single shot rifle barrel. I wouldn't just leave it lying around, though - it would be in a case that could be secured via a cable, etc. to some part of the vehicle. Heck, I might even keep an inexpensive .38 revolver in the case with it. Neither would be loaded but I would have ammo in the vehicle.

for me not too bad i am retired so i dont go anywhere much .i do go to st louis about every 2 weeks got stoped for talking on a cell phone while driving just about 3 weeks ago .when the il state trooper ran my lic. he knew i had a hcp wanted to know if i had a gun or not i told him no he said the hcp gave him right to search my truck i said no it did not he finaly let me go with a warning but scared me a little good thing to know in il

For me a "truck gun" could be just about any firearm. It's a gun that can be tossed behind the seat, no worries about scratches or a little surface rust. It doesn't have to stay in the truck all the time. I tend to toss a beat up shotgun in my truck when I go camping, viola, a truck gun. At night, it usually goes in the tent with me, viola, tent gun. :poop:

for me not too bad i am retired so i dont go anywhere much .i do go to st louis about every 2 weeks got stoped for talking on a cell phone while driving just about 3 weeks ago .when the il state trooper ran my lic. he knew i had a hcp wanted to know if i had a gun or not i told him no he said the hcp gave him right to search my truck i said no it did not he finaly let me go with a warning but scared me a little good thing to know in il

There is a highway off of one of the Paducah exits, seems like it is Hwy 60, which you can take over and meet up with I 57, go south for 12 miles then hit I55 N to STL. That way I avoid Illinois completely. I will not go through Illinois. I despise their gun laws and refuse to give them any of my money. I won't get gas there. Won't get caught there and have to stay in a hotel or have to buy a meal there.

It does add about 40 minutes to the trip, but it is worth it to me, not to go through Illinois on my often trips to Missouri.

It is a more enjoyable drive as well. Unlike the Illinois drive, it is hilly and more stops.

Edited by Warbird
Guest Bronker
There is a highway off of one of the Paducah exits, seems like it is Hwy 60, which you can take over and meet up with I 57, go south for 12 miles then hit I55 N to STL. That way I avoid Illinois completely. I will not go through Illinois. I despise their gun laws and refuse to give them any of my money. I won't get gas there. Won't get caught there and have to stay in a hotel or have to buy a meal there.

It does add about 40 minutes to the trip, but it is worth it to me, not to go through Illinois on my often trips to Missouri.

A man of principle. I've done worse things :)

But I kept to my principles!

A man of principle. I've done worse things :)

But I kept to my principles!

I appreciate the compliment. It is painful to be principled at times. I have had invites to shoot at the sporting clays complex in Sparta and had to decline. I have also had numerous invites to hunt deer in Illinois and I always decline. They have some nice deer there. I hunt in Missouri and Kansas instead. We took a 170 class 10 pt and a 12 pt in Kansas this year, so not a bad place to go anyway.

It is a more enjoyable drive as well. Unlike the Illinois drive, it is hilly and more stops.

+1. I did the exact same thing in the spring and refuse to go to Illinois for that very reason. 40 minutes of inconvenience FAR outweighs the consequences.