Make it legal to carry without permit: yes or no?

Guest President Fernatt

As I am late to this thread and not going to read through 100+ post, I'm sure what I'm going to has been said, and argued for against...but here it goes.

If you can legally own/posses a firearm, you should be able to carry it without any further government involvement.

If you can not legally possess it, you are already violating the law by having it... no real need of an additional charge of not having a permit.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Archminister01

Just make sure you fly a flag so that when you are drinking and handling firearms folks can steer clear. As for the others...You the only one typing?

The constitutions says " shall not be infringed"

I think that fairly well sums it up. I see no problem with that being the model to be followed.

If you want to disallow felons from it I could live with that. But if a criminal type wants to carry they certainly are not going to worry about it being illegal to do so without proper paperwork anyway.

And I really do not understand any mindset that demands a person have x amount of training before they are allowed to defend themselves with the most up to date tools that are practical to do so.

Guest Archminister01
Edit: Oh never mind... It's just not much fun torturing the oblivious, at the moment. Maybe later.

I agree give yourself a break and stop typing awhile.

Everybody? No, felon's and those who have been found mentally insane probably should have restrictions placed on their ability to carry concealed weapons.

Everybody else, YES, we should encourage constitutional carry here in TN.

Here is a question to ask yourself... What percentage of people who pass the background check fail the HCP class? Virtually 0. How many people failed your HCP class? Ask all your friends with HCP's, how many failed their class?

The class is not weeding out anybody from the process, and should be done away with... The state could create a website place the outdated videos and study materials on it, and have a online test, and they would probably have a higher failure rate than the current HCP class.

People should not be required to pay a third party $50-$100 for a class and WASTE 8 hours of their lives, on top of $115 to the state to exercise a right to bear arms (DaveTN would say it's not a right if you have to ask permission and pay for the privilege).

I'll give you a hint... Gun Stores, and Firearm Instructors like the easy money the HCP class provides, it's a government backed subsidy, and they'll fight tooth and nail to prevent it from being taken away.

I'm all for a simple test, if you can legally own it, you can legally carry it.... period... simple law.

Truth is the number of deaths will decrease from such legislation, even if you factor in a few more cases of citizen gun carries making mistakes.

I didn't read all 14 pages, just the first two post.

While no one has ever failed the HCP test I did learn a few things in the class.

There were even two people in my class who, after taking their gun out of the box, asked the instructor to show them how to load it and aim...

Guest President Fernatt

There were even two people in my class who, after taking their gun out of the box, asked the instructor to show them how to load it and aim...

that's scary lol

I agree give yourself a break and stop typing awhile.

I don't need a break, just fewer interruptions here at home. Especially since you show so much promise in the entertainment department...

Guest Archminister01
+1

Hmm..ignorance does travel in packs. Just got off the phone with a buddy in Mesa AZ..is a Shift Sgt out there. Asked him when he thought firing weapons and alcohol mixed regardless of where you do it. Bet you can guess what he said? Strictly for entertainment purposes.

Hmm..ignorance does travel in packs. Just got off the phone with a buddy in Mesa AZ..is a Shift Sgt out there. Asked him when he thought firing weapons and alcohol mixed regardless of where you do it. Bet you can guess what he said? Strictly for entertainment purposes.

You should'a asked him what he thought of driving while carrying a gun, after "a few beers".

You also could'a asked him what his opinion was of how well a person can judge their own condition after drinking alcohol... Especially given that alcohol impairs a person's ability to judge their own level of impairment.

( Got that last bit during my own certification course on dealing with drunks and administering FSTs, even though I was already previously aware of it. )

And yeah, I can pretty much work out his answer to both of those too. ;)

Yep, you're certainly good for a giggle or two, if nothing else. :shake:

Edited by Jamie
Guest Archminister01

LOL...only equally as impressive as with your opinion and your buds rhetoric about god knows what. Im sure your +1 impressed someone. Whatever seems to be lacking in my opinions doesnt bide well and thats fine by me..freedom of speech never hurt anyone.

And my phone call was to get a .... +1 ...? from a friend to make sure I was sound in thinking that admittedly drinking and firing weapons was still not a good idea, since this thread in several areas spoke of the fear of untrained persons carrying firearms. Didnt make sense to me that someone with weapons training would even think it correct to do so..but then again maybe thats socially acceptable in your neighborhood. But that also is my opinion.

Either way have fun..its has been enlightening to say the least.

You're just full of assumptions, aren't you Archie?

That plus you wanting to run off at the keyboard concerning your buddies, your certifications, etc., then claiming you didn't tell us to impress us, really is funny as hell.

And that's even without the contradiction in your earlier post.

And if you can't see where this...

I personally do not believe that guns and alcohol mix. If i were going out to have a few beers, my weapon would stay in my vehicle. Just like driving, certain things shouldnt be done while under the influence of alcohol

... contradicts it's self, then it's not any of us that need to work on our Reading Comprehension. Especially given that it's implied, if not outright stated, that you would be driving and carrying your gun after those beers.

And that, Mr. Certified, was what I was pointing out at the beginning there. Not that it was or wasn't okay, only that the above-statement contradicted it's self.

Anyway... Good luck, Archie, but honestly I can't see you lasting very long around here, with us reading-impaired folks.

I didn't read all 14 pages, just the first two post.

While no one has ever failed the HCP test I did learn a few things in the class.

Do you disagree that if you had received a $.10 hand out with your purchase of a handgun you could have learned everything you learned in that 8 hour class? Lets pretend that isn't enough... we could have the state issue a handgun carry manual that is 25 pages and available for download free of charge that would surly do a better job of informing the public than the current outdated class and videos.

As for the two folks who needed help, would have likely received that help as part of buying their firearm or from an instructor/friends... or read the manual and figured it out for themselves.

Even if 2 out of 20-30 people in your class needed a ton of help, why punish the other 90% into wasting 8 hours of their lives :shake:

I'm all for training classes, just not state mandated ones.

Guest President Fernatt

If it was, you would be a pro sir haha :shake: just kiddin! ... I'm just an innocent bystander...I simply started a thread of genuine intention lol but yeah, I assumed time and post numbers would be the contributing factor =) After hearing all the arguments I'm growing closer to constitutional carry without restrictions. TGO is definitely educational

My statement was simply that I would never drink while impaired..and if I am correct..there is a limit of impairment for that reason. ....

I've done at least half my drinking AFTER I was already impaired, but I can see you are above that. Or set a limit on your impairment. Or something.

If you've had too much alcohol to handle a firearm, you've certainly had too much to drive.

Actually, you're much safer carrying a handgun impaired, or even dead drunk, than driving a car, since the odds are minuscule you'll use the gun. But the car is in use every time.

Oh "I'm not as think as you drunk I am" Shoot

Before, during or after a drink, I've never seen you impaired.

I wouldn't be skeered if you shoot when you are as think as you drunk you are because I don't drunk you are as think as you drunk you are even when you have been thinking a lot seriously.