glock 27 problem (self induced)

Guest surfertim

Guest surfertim

Bought a new glock 27 for carry under my CCW, loved it, but arthritic fingers prompted me to make some changes. Added extended controls, 3.5 pound trigger, crimson trace laser grip and a DPMS recoil reducer. Gun stovepipes rounds on every shot. Removed DPMS and re installed stock spring, still stovepiping. What have I done? How can I fix it? Love this gun, have an older 17 as well and it has always been hyper reliable, just too big for daily carry. Please help!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the extended slide release could be a result but I never experienced it with any of mine. Mine would just not hold the slide back on the last round if it messed up. I would look at what brand of ammo it malfunctions with. Are you positive your not limp wristing?

The only thing that makes any sense to me based on what you describe is that you are limp wristing it and don't realize it. I have the extended slide release on my G22 and my thumb sometimes pushes up on it and causes the slide to lock back, but it doesn't stovepipe. Perhaps you should check the ejector to make sure it isn't broken and also check the extractor to make sure it isn't gunked up or damaged.

The stovepiping doesn't fit in with any feed problem's I've experenced with the G27, or for that matter observed with other shooter's. Every feed problem I've observed was either a FTF due to limpwristing or the magazine. This is not to say it doesn't happen but only I haven't seen such. I suggest that you return it to stock and try it that way, while also having another experenced shooter put some round's down range through it for you as well. At this point your going to determine if it's operator induced or mechanical. FWIW if your having enough problem's with arthritic hand's to want to do these modification's I'd suggest you go with a G-26 instead. You really don't need to concern yourself with extended slidestop's at all because racking the slide overide's it completely and adjusting the way you run the slide can be far less painfull or awkward than you may be aware of. I've develeloped a fair degree of arthritis in my hand's as well that flairs up when I spend a bit of time on the range, loading magazines becomes very painfull so I use a mag loader at these times.

Bought a new glock 27 for carry under my CCW, loved it, but arthritic fingers prompted me to make some changes. Added extended controls, 3.5 pound trigger, crimson trace laser grip and a DPMS recoil reducer. Gun stovepipes rounds on every shot. Removed DPMS and re installed stock spring, still stovepiping. What have I done? How can I fix it? Love this gun, have an older 17 as well and it has always been hyper reliable, just too big for daily carry. Please help!

Was the gun cycling properly BEFORE you made some mods to it?

Guest surfertim

It stove piped a time or two in stock condition, which is why I went to the DPM recoil spring/stainless rod. Thought tha might help. Didn't. Went back to stock spring, still same problem. Checked seating on DPM, all seems correct. Bought some hotter defensive ammo today, will run it tomorrow to see how it goes. If I still have problems, I will return it completely to stock condition. As I mentioned, I put a Glockmiester 3.5 pound trigger in, extended slide lock, extended mag release, the DPM Recoil rod/springs and crimson trace laser grips. I set my 17 up the same way years ago, and it eats everything I feed it without any problems. I don't have any arthritis in my wrists (yet), but years of mechanical/engineering modeling has bummed my fingers up. I don't think I'm limp wristing, but I'll have the old girl watch me tomorrow and see. Can't thank you all enough for all the suggestions. This appears to be a great forum and I am proud to be a part of it.

Guest surfertim

BTW, I bought a 200 round package of cheap FMJ rounds to play with and sight it in. They seem dirty and light, and that may be the problem, though I might mention they have ruined the dinner plans of a number of armadillos around the place!