New toy!!!

Mike

Guest GlocKingTN
Well, you could also become an 01 FFL with a Class 3 SOT and with a department letter you can have a demo post '86 sample. Or, you can become an 07 FFL with a Class 2 SOT and make post 86 samples.

Huh?????? :lol:

Guest Shay VanVlymen
Apparently I'm asking the wrong question.

~Archi

The short answer is you can't own a machine gun made after 1986. The ones made before 1986 are in short supply so the prices are very high. You also have to apply for a tax stamp on a Title 2 firearm which is an extra $200 on top of the cost of the machine gun.

Guest Archimedes

There are two kinds of firearms under Federal law... title 1 firearms and title 2.

Title 1 (generally called the Gun Control Act) firearms are long guns, handguns, firearm frames or receivers, and most non-NFA weapons are also title 1 firearms.

Title 2 weapons are NFA weapons. Title 2 of the 1968 Gun Control Act is the National Firearms Act hence NFA.

NFA (Title 2) weapons are sometimes called class 3 weapons, because a class 3 SOT (special occupational taxpayer) is needed to deal in NFA weapons.

SOTs can transfer between each other without paying the tax.

I knew all of that.

I know they currently make automatic versions of these rifles. The parts cannot be that much more expensive....In fact the AR-15 bolt carrier requires more machining than does the M16 bolt carrier.

I DID NOT know that the parts had to be from 1986 or before.

That doesn't make much sense unless that's just to make it harder to own.

I've seen conversion kits, but I think they only come with the trigger parts for the lower.

I have no idea what FA, SBR, or SBS is, but, yes, suppressors are title 2 as well as body armor, I think.

Well, thanks for the info. Only about 4 sarcastic posts to answer my woefully nub question.

~Archi

Guest Shay VanVlymen
NFA (Title 2) weapons are sometimes called class 3 weapons, because a class 3 SOT (special occupational taxpayer) is needed to deal in NFA weapons.

I know they currently make automatic versions of these rifles. The parts cannot be that much more expensive....In fact the AR-15 bolt carrier requires more machining than does the M16 bolt carrier.

I DID NOT know that the parts had to be from 1986 or before.

That doesn't make much sense unless that's just to make it harder to own.

I've seen conversion kits, but I think they only come with the trigger parts for the lower.

I have no idea what FA, SBR, or SBS is, but, yes, suppressors are title 2 as well as body armor, I think.

Well, thanks for the info. Only about 4 sarcastic posts to answer my woefully nub question.

~Archi

It isn't the standard "parts" you are paying for. It's a registered machinegun receiver, lightning link (small metal tab that produces full auto in an AR15), or DIAS (drop in auto sear). All of those are considered machine guns in the NFA and they all need to have been registered in the NFA prior to 1986 to be transferable to other individuals. The NFA registry for machine guns was closed in 1986.

There are no legal "conversion kits". There are lightning links and DIAS that will make your standard AR (+ a few M16 parts) full auto. These items are considered machine guns in themselves and require a tax stamp. There are also spare parts available to replace worn or damaged parts in registered guns.

FA = full auto

SBR = Short Barreled Rifle

SBS = Short Barreled Shotgun

AOW = Any Other Weapon

AOW is a class of title 2 gun that isn't covered by the other categories. Cane guns, pen guns, wallet guns, the MP5k briefcase, pistols with a forward pistol grip... Just about anything odd that the BATFE wants to regulate falls under the AOW clause. Ownership of an AOW is a $5 tax stamp and not $200 like other title 2 items.

Body armor is not registered and is not included in any way in the NFA.

Guest Archimedes
There are no legal "conversion kits". There are lightning links and DIAS that will make your standard AR (+ a few M16 parts) full auto. These items are considered machine guns in themselves and require a tax stamp. There are also spare parts available to replace worn or damaged parts in registered guns.

The kits I saw required a form from the BATFE.

~Archi

Guest Shay VanVlymen
The kits I saw required a form from the BATFE.

~Archi

If you are buying replacement parts for your machine gun most dealers require a copy of your stamp or form 4 proving you have a legal machine gun that needs the replacement parts.

This is just CYA as far as I can tell.

Guest Archimedes

Well, they market it as a "conversion," but we all know my level of expertise in this area.

I'll be perfectly content with semi-auto, but I thought with the proper paperwork and taxes that it was somewhat easier than all that.

It's not like I'm gonna pay the tax and fill out all the paperwork to walk into a mall and blow people away. If I were gonna do that, I wouldn't worry about being charged with possesion of an unregistered NFA firearm.

I just love to shoot an FA rifle...particularly the M16.

Yes, I have fired one before and, yes, I creamed my shorts.

~Archi

Guest Shay VanVlymen
Are there any stipulations on body armor?

Convicted felons can't possess it in most states. It is also sometimes an additional charge if wearing body armor while committing a crime.

This thread sure has gotten pretty far off topic. :D

BTW, I'm still not clear on this pre-ban/post-ban thing.

WTH does this mean to me? Does it only really matter in states like CA or what?

Archi, the 1994 AWB disallowed things like bayonet lugs and flash suppressors. Basically banning things that had no affect on crime whatsoever...

Guest Archimedes

grip1.jpg

grip2.jpg

Page 112 of the CDNN catalog.

Staying even more on-topic, I'm now the proud owner of a S&W M&P15A. I don't have it yet, but the guy said he'd get it from his warehouse tomorrow. :D :D ;)

~Archi

Guest EasilyObsessed

Staying even more on-topic, I'm now the proud owner of a S&W M&P15A. I don't have it yet, but the guy said he'd get it from his warehouse tomorrow. :D :D ;)

~Archi

ordered from Top Gun?

I went with one of my co-workers this afternoon and he bought one as well. The owner said he sold one earlier today. The S&W is a really nice gun for the price.

Im seriously considering picking one up as well before this stupid ban gets passed.

Top Gun gets a big ;) from me, the owner really knows his stuff and his prices are quite reasonable. Will be having him install a 7 round extension and sling mounts on my 870 next week.