First AR BCM EAG 14.5 Midlength

DAdams

This is my first AR. I researched the topical matter for a number of months including numerous Forums and the opinions of many.

This included the pros and cons of DI and Piston, and including even caliber consideration of 5.56 vs 7.62. The caliber part I justified with the versatility of the 5.56 lower being able to accomodate a 6.8 upper at some point, maybe.

I looked at virtually every Manufacturer's products and models from entry level to off my budget radar.

Here's what I ended up with and and I am extremely pleased with how it turned out. Main criterie were accurracy (for the money) length, weight and balance.

BCM was great to do business with.

Upper BCM 14.5 midlength and this is where most of the money went. I think I could have done well for less, but this is what I wanted. wink.gif

E.A.G. Tactical Upper Half Package Includes:

BCM® 14.5" Mid Length Gas BFH (Cold Hammer Forged) Barrel (w/ perm A2X™ Flash Hider)

BCM® HPT/MPI Bolt Carrier Group (auto profile)

BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Mod 3 Charging Handle

LaRue Tactical 9" Tactical Free Float Handguards

TangoDown SCAR Panel Covers

Troy Ind/BCM Rear Folding Battle Sight

1:7 Twist

Slip2000 EWL & 725 Cleaner

BCM4 Lower Receiver Group

Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6

Hardcoat Anodizing: MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2

Chrome Bore and Chamber

BCM® Milspec 7075-T6 Receiver Extention

Vltor Stock

Staked M4 Lock Nut

USGI H Buffer (1 USGI Tungsten, 2 Steel)

Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard

Low Shelf for RDIAS installation

Low Shelf for Accuwedge use

Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use

Fire Controls marked SAFE and SEMI

The upper a lower are extremely well crafted and fit together like they both came from BCM and were made for each other. $1625.

I bought 6 MagPul magazines with Ranger bases.

P1010031-1.jpg

P1010026-2.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot it yet?

No, just finished it up last week. Now I am just waiting for a day over 50 degrees. BTW is there anywhere in East TN that has an indoor range? 50 yards would be great for now.

What is the nearest OD range to Lenoir City/Loudon?

Guest the_accuser

Excellent choice for an AR. Good luck waiting for 50 degree weather. Cold weather shouldn't stop you from enjoying that sweet rifle, just dress warm and go have some fun....:dunno:

Guest mmustangsrus

wow nice !!! i`m trying to educate myself on AR`s cause i plan to purchase one in a couple weeks .. my friend has one & its awesome i know a couple things about it 1 its awesome 2 it goes boom real loud LOL 3 its a S & W it shoots both 2.23 & 5.56 ( not sure if those are all like that )

i`m trying to educate myself on AR`s cause i plan to purchase one in a couple weeks

Wow you have your work cut out for you. Hope you are a speed learner. I researched for about 8 months....by then I kind of had a grip.

Get over to AR15.com quick. I'm not in a position to make a recommendation although S&W is ok good warranty and service if you need it

Spikes, Noveske, BCM, Stag, Daniel Defense, LWRC, POF, LMT Defense, Colt are all quality ARs. Then you have Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River Arms in the lower to middle price ranges. You will pretty much have to decide how much you want to spend and go from there.

You can get something that shoots well for maybe the $850 some may say less. Me I didn't find anything that really appealed to me until something in the 1300 range.

Nothing wrong with a $1000 5.56/.223 though.

Edited by DAdams

Congrats on the new piece you started at the top and with the right mags. I fooled around with lots of mags before I settled on Pmags. I have a S&W and it shoots as straight as my Vltor. You WILL be happy with a Smithy. I found mine for $825 right before the Obama AR craze hit. I saw one at the Gun show for seven something this weekend.

Guest mmustangsrus
Wow you have your work cut out for you. Hope you are a speed learner. I researched for about 8 months....by then I kind of had a grip.

Get over to AR15.com quick. I'm not in a position to make a recommendation although S&W is ok good warranty and service if you need it

Spikes, Noveske, BCM, Stag, Daniel Defense, LWRC, POF, LMT Defense, Colt are all quality ARs. Then you have Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River Arms in the lower to middle price ranges. You will pretty much have to decide how much you want to spend and go from there.

You can get something that shoots well for maybe the $850 some may say less. Me I didn't find anything that really appealed to me until something in the 1300 range.

Nothing wrong with a $1000 5.56/.223 though.

oooooo yessssssir i do !! & i lurk on that site too lol A BUNCH !!! but the S & W is the only one i have any kind of exp on & i appreciate all of you info !
Congrats on the new piece you started at the top and with the right mags. I fooled around with lots of mags before I settled on Pmags. I have a S&W and it shoots as straight as my Vltor. You WILL be happy with a Smithy. I found mine for $825 right before the Obama AR craze hit. I saw one at the Gun show for seven something this weekend.
and thanks for your insight too & i only started to like them almost 2yrs ago after shooting my friends
Guest Blown4v

friends suck, thats what got me too. The Cobra fund took a big hit to buy the AR, and you can burn ammo quicker than you can 93 octane, but the feeling of shooting it is as exciting as hitting full boost in the car, so, fair trade off

On that Indoor Range in ET thing, FOR A RIFLE try Gunny's in Maryville.

(Coal Creek Armory off Lovell Rd. in W.Knoxville and Frontier Firearms in Kingston on Hwy 58 are "Pistol Only" from what i know bout them no Rifle or shotgun allowed. Except possibly 22LR @ CCA)

Gunny's in Maryville, It's not 50 yd. indoor range, but a brochure I picked up there lists; "25 yd range. 8 pistol & 4 Rifle Lanes"

I think you can actually shoot up to .30 cal in there, they have an AK on the wall for rent, so maybe so.

It's not far from LC going up Hwy.321. But they're actually off E. Broadway about 1 mi from where it intersects with the Pellissipi Parkway extension.

I haven't shot there myself. Maybe someone else can give feedback on it.

865-223-3471 if you're interested.

Looking forward to a range report. I've been looking at the BCM hardware myself, and I applaude your research on this and sharing the info.

Thanks

Edited by Red9MM

On the " nearest OD range to Lenoir City/Loudon?" question.

There's always the Norris PD Range. $40 from now until June 30, 2011. All current range passes expire that day.

Every July 1st Everyone needs a new range pass and has to re-up with another $40. That range pass is good until June 30, 2012.

Many ET/ 865 area code TGO shooters go there pretty regularly. approx. 200 yd. Rifle/Shotgun range several lanes & 25 yd. Pistol range 4 Lanes.

Check the "Events and Get Together's" section for announcements of ppl. getting organized (??? :D ) for shoots there.

Very close to Norris Dam if you're familiar with that. from LC take I-75N, to exit 122, Hwy 61 .

865-494-0881 (Norris Police Department) for full info.

ORSA, Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association. see " ORSA Home Page " for info $120 a year membership required I think. Pretty nice facilities, regular matches, a 1000 yd. Hi-Power rifle range, pistol ranges, IDPA, etc... A few of the ET folks here on TGO shoot there from what I've seen in posts.

Off of Hwy 95 (Oak Ridge Turnpike) near the Roane/ Anderson County line. (Not very far East of the old K-25 DOE plant).

From LC, 75N to 40W, exit 364, Hwy 95 (go N towards ORNL/Y-12 Plants) to Hwy 95/58 junction then E on Hwy 95 (OR Turnpike) towards "downtown" Oak Ridge.

The TWRA range off of Rifle Range Road in North Knoxville is another option.

" Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - John Sevier Hunter Education Center " and and the "Volunteer Rilfle & Pistol Club" that shoots there " http://www.vrpc.info/ "

I think there are also some ranges in Kingston and Athens but I'm not familiar with them at all.

Here's a site for more TN range info.

" Tennessee Gun Firing Ranges Archery Range Rifle Pistol Shooting "

Good Luck and now go find a place to shoot that bad boy! :)

Edited by Red9MM