Beginner....help me choose my equipmnet!

New potential reloader here asking for some advice. Seriously looking to get into reloading, so figured I'd see what advice you all might have for me. Right now I am an NRA instructor and newbie to IDPA shooting. As a result I shoot around 200-500 rounds per month, depending on how much available time I have. I'm looking at reloading .380, 9mm, .45, possibly .38sp/.357 mag for handguns and more than likely rifle ammo in .223/5.56 and 30-06 calibers. I don't shoot enough shotgun at this time to justify reloading it anytime soon.

I'm presently reading the ABC's of Reloading (9th edition) and plan on taking the NRA Metallic Reloading Course (online, unfortunately) so I can get "smart" on the subject before I get in over my head. I want to take it slow and make sure I understand every step of the way and am 100% confident that I want to start with a single-stage setup (and potentially move to a turret or progressive a few years down the road).

I'm torn right now between two setups: The Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Kitand the Lee Breech Lock Anniversary Kit. I can get the Hornady for around $320 shipped or the Lee for $110 locally. The Hornady appears, for whatever reason to me, to be better made than the Lee. I am not sure that I can justify the difference though in the price...that's what's killing me! I know Lee's reputation is somewhat questionable by some folks. But the Hornady LnL costs 3x as much...either way I'm not one that likes to look back and regret things so that's why my gut tells me to get the LnL, but I also don't like spending money I don't need to so my brain keeps pulling me towards the Lee..aarrgghhh....

Also debating between the Lyman Twin Turbo an Lyman 1200 Pro tumblers...thoughts?

Someone please give me your inputs, pro's/con's, whatever else you got!

Edited by finz50
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just went to the Hornady website and apparently they're extending their free 500 bullets promotion through 2011.....that's got me leaning towards getting the LnL Classic and some 30-06 bullets....that should bring the value down to about $170 for the Hornady LnL Classic for me.....Am I over thinking this decision??

Edited by finz50

The Lee kit works way too well for me to justify the price of the Hornady kit. I started with the Lee Anniversary Kit and it was worth every single penny and then some. I haven't met anyone who has ever regretted buying the Lee Anniversary Kit.

As far as tumblers, either of the Lyman tumblers should be just fine.

there is a possibility you will not enjoy reloading. i would suggest starting with the Breech Lock by Lee, that's the path I took. My thinking was, should I decide it wasn't for me, I could sell it on eBay or on TGO. Cheaper sometimes is better. After purchasing the Lee, I have not looked back since. The single stage process just adds to the hobby factor. Its up to you, but........start inexpensive and then should you really like it, sell the single stage and go bigger.

If you are a competitive shooter and don't want to spend all your spare time reloading, get a auto-index progressive press.

Cry once, get the Dillon 650 with case feeder. If you have any mechanical aptitude whatsoever you can jump right into a progressive press.

The lock and load is a good setup. It doesn't have the no-limits warranty of a Dillon, but then again it doesn't cost as much ether.

My advice it to sit with someone a time or two and gain some practical insights on things that the courses you mentioned don't cover. Then start slowly and do things 100% by the book.

Reloading is all about consistent repetition....so learning is really quick. People only get into trouble when they take shortcuts or put too much thought/action into the process.

Here's my theory on tools:

I'll buy the least expensive tool I think will do the job. If that tool ever breaks, wears out, or simply doesn't get the job done to my satisfaction, I'll buy a more expensive one to replace it. I bought a Lee Anniversary Kit over 15 years ago. I'm still using it. That would be my suggestion. Lee makes quality stuff that works well at a very attractive price.

Guest sneakboxer

I too just started and Lee was the route i took. I would think cutting your teeth on a single stage Lee to learn the basics is a good idea. That way you will have more money available to go progressive in the future if you chose to.

So far Lee products have worked well for me.

Good luck with your new hobby, its addictive...

As for the tumbler, I have a Frankford Arsenal model from Midway. I like it fine. I will tell you that you can buy corn cob bedding material at Petsmart for a fraction of what you'd pay for media at a gun store. I also use Nu-Finish car polish in leiu of the more expensive brass polish.

Guest highvoltage

i to use lee reloading equipment and have not looked back. gets the job done with no problems. i have loaded over 5000 rounds and still going strong 38 spl and 9mm. i have the frankford arsenal tumbler and use the nu-finish car polish like greg. reloading is addictive so be ready.

I have a Lee Turret Press. It's not quite as fast as a progressive reloader (when I get to that point I will be getting a Dillon press). The Lee Turret Press will load handgun and rifle rounds. The dies screw into a removable turret plate so once you set the dies you can pull the whole plate out as a unit and store it away (the extra 4 hole turret inserts are about $10). Lee's customer service is excellent. I got a starter kit that had the press, some basic case prep tools, powder measure, primer dispenser, and a scale for a little more than $100 on the web. Die sets are about $35 each. If you go with the Lee, get the power measure riser so you can use the primer attachment. Here is a link to the same set I have:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=622290&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Presses-_-PriceCompListing-_-622290

Here is the powder measure riser I mentioned:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=114080

If you go with a single stage press as has been suggested, it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll hate reloading considering how many rounds you will be doing. Single stage is great for small runs of ammo because it gives you a chance to carefully prepare each cartridge, but it's much more time consuming than a multi-stage press or progressive press. I have the Frankford Arsenal case tumbler and bullet puller. For the money, these are a great value compared to Hornady and RCBS.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I bought an RCBS single stage press in 1978 or 79. I'm still using the RCBS bout have added a Dillon 550. Read the reloading manuals to get an understanding of the procedures, then pick your equipment that fits your requirements. The faster and more expensive equipment may not be the best for your needs.

I started out with the Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit several years ago myself. It's a good kit and will allow you to see if reloading is something that you will want to stick with for a long time, without investing a lot of money. I have since replaced nearly everything that came with it, but I still use the press for decapping and I still use the hand primer. The fact that I have replaced most of my Lee equipment isn't meant to say that the Lee stuff isn't really good. It's just that I have developed different preferences in equipment over the years. Many people use the Lee kits for years, or even decades, and never see a need to change a thing.

If I knew then what I know now I would have bought everything separately and gotten exactly what I wanted for every piece of equipment I needed. But that would have cost A LOT more money up front. And at that time I didn't know if I would really stick with reloading and I definitely didn't know what my various preferences in equipment would end up being. Those things are impossible to know until you have been reloading for a while.

I'd recommend going with either the Lee kit or the Hornady that you are considering(with the bullet offer the Hornady is a good deal and the press itself is IMO much better than the Lee, with the exception of the spent primer collection). And then just have fun reloading. Used reloading equipment holds it's value fairly well. So even if you go with the more expensive Hornady kit and decide that you don't really like reloading, you still want lose your behind if you sell your equipment.

Guest longshot007

I have a Rock-Chucker, it is what I started on. I also have a few of Dillions. IMHO dont spend the extra $ on a 650. Get the 550 and extra tool heads with the powder attachment. To swap calibers all you need to do is remove the tool head, swap shell plates and keep on truckin, assuming you are using the same type of primers. You can probably pick up used equipment from some body looking to thin their herd.