Seems like we've almost forgot the park carry bill

HB2184 would allow those with a HCP to carry in state parks.

It has passed in the Senate already with amendments 2 & 5 (3 passed but then 4 passed and cancelled out 3).

The problem with the house bill is the two amendmeants. The first was good, it completely removed 39-17-1311, however the second one created a new 39-17-1311 that "requires" sings to be posted that say it is ok to carry if you have a permit. While that sounds good on the face of it, it created a fiscal note that says it will cost the state $94,000 and they will loose over $25,000. Also it says it would cost local govermemts over $270,000 and loss a of over $25,000.

This is how the bill was killed in the past, because of the cost, not because of not wanting guns in parks ;). The funny thing is as of now, even though those in charge of parks, civic centers etc... are supposed to post a sign to say it is illegal to carry, many don't, because they can simply exempt themselves from having to post a sign. Why can't they be able to do that from posting this sign? Why do signs need to be posted to say it is ok period?!

The bill is currently in the Finance Ways & Means committee. Based on what I have seen on other bills with large fiscal notes they will probably roll it over to their Budget sub-comittee and there....it will die... :D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

LOL....

well, they can use round-up on the lawn and spell it out on the grass, that should save money....

or, just dont post the sign, I think it is kinda implied that you have to have an HCP....

So all this additional cost is for signs,???????????.

Your kidding me right.

State Expenditures – $94,000/One-Time

Decrease State Revenues – Exceeds $25,000

Increase Local Govt. Expenditures* –

Exceeds $278,000/One-Time

Decrease Local Govt. Revenues – Exceeds $25,000

Assumptions applied to amendments:

• The state would be required to post at least 3,200 signs.

• Local governments would be required to post at least 9,500 signs.

• According to bids from multiple sign manufacturers, .040 gauge

aluminum signs, with 18†X 24†dimensions, with the required language

could be obtained at a cost of approximately $16.00 per sign. It is

assumed that such signs would be suitable for approximately 75% of the

required locations.

• Slightly more elaborate signs would be required in 25% of the locations

at a cost of $50 per sign.

• No sign post would be required at 50% of the locations.

• 25% of the locations would require a metal post at a cost of $5.

• 25% of the locations would require a wooden post at a cost of $10.

• All signs would need hardware to affix the sign to a suitable surface. It

is estimated that such hardware could be obtained for $1 per sign.

• A decrease in state revenues exceeding $25,000 due to decreased

collection of fines for offenses that would currently be illegal but would

be legalized according to the provisions of this bill.

• A decrease in local government revenues exceeding $25,000 due to

decreased collection of fines for offenses that would currently be illegal

but would be legalized according to the provisions of this bill.

*Article II, Section 24 of the Tennessee Constitution provides that: no law of general

application shall impose increased expenditure requirements on cities or counties

unless the General Assembly shall provide that the state share in the cost.

Public hunting land/WMA's/National Forests need to be on the list of allowing those to carry centerfire handguns outside of the regular big game season. It would be as simple as adding having a handgun carry permit/written directive (the politicians seem to get those) as being exempt just like hunters. I love spending time hiking and hunting on public land, but find it silly to be legal i must get a rimfire handgun to claim it is for coyotes or other year round open season game. Even then, technically you cant have any firearm loaded in a vehicle on public hunting land, including the rimfire handguns with or without a permit.

Add the permit as a defense to prosecution for the parks law (i think it is legal) then the silly firearms in areas inhabited by big game, and disallow any govt entity from positing a no guns sign ANYWHERE, and you'll have decent gun laws here.

Public hunting land/WMA's/National Forests need to be on the list of allowing those to carry centerfire handguns outside of the regular big game season. It would be as simple as adding having a handgun carry permit/written directive (the politicians seem to get those) as being exempt just like hunters. I love spending time hiking and hunting on public land, but find it silly to be legal i must get a rimfire handgun to claim it is for coyotes or other year round open season game. Even then, technically you cant have any firearm loaded in a vehicle on public hunting land, including the rimfire handguns with or without a permit.

Add the permit as a defense to prosecution for the parks law (i think it is legal) then the silly firearms in areas inhabited by big game, and disallow any govt entity from positing a no guns sign ANYWHERE, and you'll have decent gun laws here.

See HB3039/SB3662

Just another way for them to say no with out looking bad.I dont see the piont(and I bet they dont also)the need in posting signs and I also dont see how it will cost them any extra to remove the signs now.I mean the maintenance crew is already there sitting on there ass getting paid,why cant they stop there nice little paid picnic,and unscrew a couple of f'ing bolts?god all mighty,if this wpuld pass i would volunteer to remove the signs myself here in chattanooga,and still have a half a day to enjoy a picnic.:D:D:rant::P

Just another way for them to say no with out looking bad.

I think you are 100% right. I mean in no other place that it is legal to carry are they "required" to post a sign.

I'm not sure if the committee it is in now can remove the amendement or not.

Guest jackdog

I agree 100% posting signs makes no sense, Guess they good authorize HCP holders to remove the signs for them. Hey I carry tools in my car all the time.

I will be happy to hook 1 or 2 of the signs up to the back of my truck to get em outta the ground :D

Nooooo, we don't do that kinda thing here in Tennessee, we shoot'm full of holes until nobody can read them!:cool: