The good news is that the 1911 in 9mm has been figured out. It took a little while to figure out, but now even open guns in 9mm running insanely light springs are running like Glocks.

That is so nice of you to say....lol. You knew it was coming?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be either at Gallatin for the Postal match or NTPS on the 2nd weekend. I need to see the reload for my own eyes. Because I am faster than the ones that you posted with my video editor software.

LOL ahhhhh got ya......your using a PC not a Mac. LOL

The good news is that the 1911 in 9mm has been figured out. It took a little while to figure out, but now even open guns in 9mm running insanely light springs are running like clocks.

Well, hope you're right, it ran like s**t through 250rds tonight running a 9lb recoil-spring (accurate as hell though, quarter sized 10 shot groups off-hand at 12 yards without trying to hard)... found if I tried hard to keep my support-hand thumb off the slide it ran better but it wouldn't chamber a round from slide-lock reliably and had lots and lots of issues coming back into battery, I'm used to resting my support-hand thumb against the side of the gun with Glocks and CZs, it's going to be tough to unlearn, might need to end up going with a Shadow.

Any ideas? Am I missing something critical? (thinking my first try at installing/tuning an Aftec might be the main culprit of my woes, so any pointers here are appreciated, their directions kind of suck...)

(sorry for the thread hijack too)

Edited by CK1
Well, hope you're right, it ran like s**t through 250rds tonight running a 9lb recoil-spring (accurate as hell though, quarter sized 10 shot groups off-hand at 12 yards without trying to hard)... found if I tried hard to keep my support-hand thumb off the slide it ran better but it wouldn't chamber a round from slide-lock reliably and had lots and lots of issues coming back into battery, I'm used to resting my support-hand thumb against the side of the gun with Glocks and CZs, it's going to be tough to unlearn, might need to end up going with a Shadow.

Any ideas? Am I missing something critical? (thinking my first try at installing/tuning an Aftec might be the main culprit of my woes, so any pointers here are appreciated, their directions kind of suck...)

(sorry for the thread hijack too)

First not going into battery the whole way is more times than not the extractor. When I install the aftec there are two things that are critical. No matter what the directions say I shape the hook like I do on every extractor as does every great builder I know. Second the bevel on the FP stop has to let the aftec hinge freely. If you didn't fit a new FP stop make sure the extractor wont clock as well. Both checking for proper hinge movement and clocking is of course done without the springs of the aftec.

If these are new mags, you should (if you haven't already) let them loaded to capacity for a day or two before using them.

Finally I really will ignore any malfs for 500 rounds or so depending on what they are.

First not going into battery the whole way is more times than not the extractor. When I install the aftec there are two things that are critical. No matter what the directions say I shape the hook like I do on every extractor as does every great builder I know. Second the bevel on the FP stop has to let the aftec hinge freely. If you didn't fit a new FP stop make sure the extractor wont clock as well. Both checking for proper hinge movement and clocking is of course done without the springs of the aftec.

If these are new mags, you should (if you haven't already) let them loaded to capacity for a day or two before using them.

Finally I really will ignore any malfs for 500 rounds or so depending on what they are.

You're like a Jedi master with these things.

i can not say for tim but when i was running a P-18 i use a 10# spring with a sprinco recoil reducer with factory ammo. the gun was fitted and tuned by EGW. the 10# was for me the perfect balance of rear ward recoil (because of the sprinco sub spring) and the forward impact of the slide closing. so the sights stayed at the point of aim.

wanda's springfield was even better.

we do not reload so we have to work around the recoil.

I have no idea what I'd run in a 9mm since I don't use one.

Often in a new really tight gun I will run a 12 or 13 in 40 cal until it is broke in a bit and end up usually with an 11. So, it's not a bad idea to run the 12 in his 9 for a while if it is really tight. But after it is broke in, the gun should run on about as light a spring as you would want to go or until the slide outruns the mag spring (or you start to see peening LOL).

Why did you take out the factory 12 lb spring? What type of ammo are you using?

Tad, after talking to Tim this morning for a little while think I've got things sussed out...

The 9lb spring is supposed to be the cat's ass with 125-130pf ammo, since I only shoot the best (wallymart Federal champion 115gr) this should be the correct one, and it does shoot flat as hell and kicks like a soft .22.

The culprit is that I don't no d**k about 1911's and there's a whole lot more to tuning an Aftec than just dropping it in and adding a bit of radius to the firing pin stop which is what I did. Turns out it's amazing the gun ran as well as it did considering (had no FTE's and fed 90%) and I'm just an idiot.

I reinstalled the extractor that came with the gun and guess what, voila, feeds and loads smooth as glass.

I'm going to shoot it later tonight or tomorrow like this and just continue getting used to the gun while at the same time giving it a chance to break-in, later on down the road I'll try to tune and install the Aftec after I do some more learning on the subject or might just leave it with Tim for a few days since he's done it many times before.

Good news is it doesn't seem to be my grip that was causing the problems, that's what had me the most concerned, about the only gripe I have with the gun is that the grip-safety/beavertail is a little uncomfortable but that might just be me being a baby about it.

The beavertail sometimes tears me a new a-hole. I hate grip safeties.

No doubt! I've been looking around and it's not just you and me, seems the Trojan's grip-safety has a weirder shape then most (looking down from the top of the gun it cuts-in and gets narrower sharply leaving an uncomfortable feeling corner). An Ed Brown one will drop-in with minor fitting according to a few guys out there, so that'll be next on my list (I've already got a couple nice welts from dry-fire that'll probably be blisters next long range session), I gave back a friends DW Valor I'd been checking out for a few days and it's very similar in feel to the Trojan (undercut trigger-guard, slim grips) and it has the EB grip-safety and it really feels much, much better (couldn't figure out why it felt so much better and it was bugging me, that's what it is).

Oh, Dude! Why didn't you tell me the captured guide-rod they come with was the biggest pain in the ass of all time? You said it was annoying, not the work of the devil, I hate this thing and can't wait for the regular GI rod and plug to show up...

We !?!?!?!?! That just slows ya down..............I just throw lead everywhere and hope 4 the best!!!!;)

Thats right. Put enough lead in the air and some of them have to hit where you want them to. Man what's with this practice stuff? Don't you know that's cheating?

Thats right. Put enough lead in the air and some of them have to hit where you want them to. Man what's with this practice stuff? Don't you know that's cheating?

Just a bored snow day...................yeah I'm sure we both just waved a magic wand and woke up in Master class.;)

Edited by timcalhoun
Oh, Dude! Why didn't you tell me the captured guide-rod they come with was the biggest pain in the ass of all time? You said it was annoying, not the work of the devil, I hate this thing and can't wait for the regular GI rod and plug to show up...

They're not that bad, I just can't ever find my bushing wrench.

It's not the shape of the beavertail that gets me, it's a sharp edge between it and the frame.

Did it come with slip grips from Shooters' Connection?

Edited by deerslayer
They're not that bad, I just can't ever find my bushing wrench.

It's not the shape of the beavertail that gets me, it's a sharp edge between it and the frame.

Did it come with slip grips from Shooters' Connection?

Maybe I just suck with the captured guide-rod, my paperclip keeps getting stuck inside the gun every other time and just getting on my nerves...

Yeah, came with slim grips, I prefer slim grips as I feel like I can get my whole support-hand around the gun, I'm going to be changing them though, waiting for some smooth slim-ambi-magwell Alumagrips to show up which I'm going to cover with skateboard tape.

Don't know if it's a bad thing, but I haven't needed to touch my bushing wrench, I wouldn't call the fit on mine loose or sloppy by any means but it moves easily and doesn't really require any effort to turn, you can't even see any light around the barrel do to the fit but it moves freely, should it be tighter?

Just a bored snow day...................yeah I'm sure we both just waved a magic wand and woke up in Master class.:lol:

And if you keep up that practicing stuff you will wake up one morning in the deep end of the pool with a GM card weighing you down. I hear they are HEAVY!

Maybe I just suck with the captured guide-rod, my paperclip keeps getting stuck inside the gun every other time and just getting on my nerves...

Yeah, came with slim grips, I prefer slim grips as I feel like I can get my whole support-hand around the gun, I'm going to be changing them though, waiting for some smooth slim-ambi-magwell Alumagrips to show up which I'm going to cover with skateboard tape.

Don't know if it's a bad thing, but I haven't needed to touch my bushing wrench, I wouldn't call the fit on mine loose or sloppy by any means but it moves easily and doesn't really require any effort to turn, you can't even see any light around the barrel do to the fit but it moves freely, should it be tighter?

Throw the paper clip thing away--use your bushing wrench to remove the bushing and plug before you even remove the slide (watch for flying parts).

Also, be sure of the weight of your gun with the new grips--the Trojan sometimes has trouble making weight for ESP.

Throw the paper clip thing away--use your bushing wrench to remove the bushing and plug before you even remove the slide (watch for flying parts).

Also, be sure of the weight of your gun with the new grips--the Trojan sometimes has trouble making weight for ESP.

What's funny is I think the paperclip method is easier than that way, to each his one, no big deal, GI rod and plug will be here soon anyways.

Yeah, watching the weight limit, ordered the lightened version of the Alumagrips and the slim version of the S&A magwell to save a few, so I should be ok, especially after loosing the full-length guide-rod.

Just got home from running 200rds, FLAWLESS! Ran like a champ, really felt great, digging the gun big time now.

This is the GI rod way.

Yeah, except with a normal plug you're not capturing a sharp round hollow-plug with your thumb while letting it out, mine is as sharp as a blade, just round...