• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mav, the mag pouches are the Safariland 773's if I remember.........

The idea is to try to get your reload down to the time it takes to make one step (right around a second). A good drill to do in live fire for this is the "1, reload, 1". Put a target at 10yds, draw shoot 1, do a reload and shoot 1 more. Both rounds have to be in the A zone and you have to see a good sight picture for both shots. The goal should be one second but no more than 1.20 seconds between shots.

RWF, you are right about my son....................I'm sure he will be kicking my butt in no time for sure. I'm also sure I'll be more happy about it than he will when that day comes.:D

Hey Tim, did you used to rock funny yellow glasses with a blond afro back in the early 80's and maybe happen to ever have been on any episodes of Miami Vice (like that vid in that other thread)? :D

Seriously though, fast as hell. I just started transitioning to a 1911 and you could make a sandwich in the time it takes me to reload!

Well, I lose a tenth or two with the skinny mag and the pouch behind the hip shooting SS. This is an older video but shows how you have to look the reload in a little better with the SS. Still can be done in one step though.

Tim, am I correct in assuming that I'll be able to safely practice slide-lock reloads without ruining my gun by using snap-caps (dropping the slide only on mags loaded with a snap-cap)?

Tim, am I correct in assuming that I'll be able to safely practice slide-lock reloads without ruining my gun by using snap-caps (dropping the slide only on mags loaded with a snap-cap)?

Yes, but just make sure that your mag cannot contacte the ejector or you will bend and break ejectors. Take the slide off and put a mag in with a snap-cap push it up in as far as it will go and make sure that there is zero contact. Mil-spec ejectors do not hang over the well but many of the newer and certainly the extended ejectors will. If it makes contact you will have to remove material on the ejector so that it is clear. I can tell you how to do that if you want/need.

Yes, but just make sure that your mag cannot contacte the ejector or you will bend and break ejectors. Take the slide off and put a mag in with a snap-cap push it up in as far as it will go and make sure that there is zero contact. Mil-spec ejectors do not hang over the well but many of the newer and certainly the extended ejectors will. If it makes contact you will have to remove material on the ejector so that it is clear. I can tell you how to do that if you want/need.

Cool.

Going to pick up my new blaster (STI Trojan 9mm) in a little while actually so I'll check out the ejector-clearance as I'm installing the Aftec and other goodies... was planning on taking a look at that anyways as I ordered a bunch of Wilson ETM mags with it and those are known to smash the ejectors in many 9mm Trojans...

think it'll be ok to just shorten the ejector with a file, or should I just go ahead and order a shorter one if it hits?

Edited by CK1
Cool.

Going to pick up my new blaster (STI Trojan 9mm) in a little while actually so I'll check out the ejector-clearance out as I'm installing the Aftec and other goodies... was planning on taking a look at that anyways as I ordered a bunch of Wilson ETM mags with it and those are known to smash the ejectors in the many 9mm Trojans... think it'll be ok to just shorten the ejector with a file, or should I just go ahead and order a shorter one if it hits?

I would have to look at it, but I usually keep them to length and relieve the underneath. But yes you can shorten it all you want with a file.........but it will change your ejection pattern and you might need to change the angle on the ejector if cases start bouncing off the slide etc...

Also, the wilson's with the trojan will sometimes allow you to ram the mag in too far preventing the slide from going forward. Check that out and make sure that is not a problem before your first match.

I would have to look at it, but I usually keep them to length and relieve the underneath. But yes you can shorten it all you want with a file.........but it will change your ejection pattern and you might need to change the angle on the ejector if cases start bouncing off the slide etc...

Also, the wilson's with the trojan will sometimes allow you to ram the mag in too far preventing the slide from going forward. Check that out and make sure that is not a problem before your first match.

Hmmm, thanks man, I've got a few things I'll be working out over the next couple weeks so I might be bothering you here or there.

Came down to a coin-flip whether to go with the 9mm 1911 or custom-shop CZ, and after going back-and-forth on what to get I figured I'd give the 1911 a go as it'll be an easier transition when/if I end up picking up a similar .45 or .40 2011 down the road (plus, I figured it'd be easier to flip then the CZ if I end up wanting to go that way after all, used Trojan 9's last about 30 seconds on the used market, CZs are a little more niche-oriented).

Can't believe I'm going to a 1911 though, a known to be headache-inducing 9mm at that... I've come full-circle from being a total hater..

Edited by CK1

Can't believe I'm going to a 1911 though, a known to be headache-inducing 9mm at that... I've come full-circle from being a total hater..

The good news is that the 1911 in 9mm has been figured out. It took a little while to figure out, but now even open guns in 9mm running insanely light springs are running like clocks.