HB0355 (McDonald): Parking lot bill filed 2/7/11

can you two pleast stop dancing around and accusing each other of acting like children? Your discussion had started off fine, and has now just turned into annoying finger pointing. You have different views on property rights. You have both expressed them. Thats great. Now please for the sake of us all, stop.

My apologies...I don't know about you but I was always taught to stand up to bullies...when someone calls me "selfish"; claims I "can't comprehend" or can't discuss things "like an adult" (just to name a few of the insults that have been directed at me) I am not generally going to just let them go unanswered. I suppose I should but it's difficult to just "stand here" (metaphorically speaking of course) and not respond.:drama:

However, I'm "unsubscribing" from the thread so if he continues to insult I at least won't read them.

Have a nice day! ;)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you two pleast stop dancing around and accusing each other of acting like children? Your discussion had started off fine, and has now just turned into annoying finger pointing. You have different views on property rights. You have both expressed them. Thats great. Now please for the sake of us all, stop.

My apologies, and even though I can't stand using the ignore feature on forums, I'll use it for Robert from this point forward.

...even though the supporters of it do their best to ignore that fact while they try to get *their* way (everyone-else--be-damned).

I've actually started adopting this attitude a little more, lately. I used to be more interested in doing the 'right' thing but have come to realize that if everyone else is fighting for what they want or whatever benefits them the most and I am pushing for what is 'right', even if it runs counter to my best interests, then no one is fighting for what I want or whatever benefits me the most, which is pretty silly on my part. A fool with principles is no less a fool.

The antis don't consider what is 'right' for gun owners, only what they want. Republicans don't generally consider what is 'right' for the nation, only what they want. Same for Democrats. Trying to exist in such a milieu while staying 'above' such tactics is like agreeing to fight Mike Tyson with one arm tied behind your back, your shoestrings tied together and one ear coated in honey. To use a different but still 'pugilistic' example, sometimes the only way to keep a really short man from hitting you in the balls is to get down on his level.

So, yeah, if it comes down to it, I'll take a law that blocks employers from interfering with the ability of law abiding employees to be best equipped for self defense on their way to and from work any way I can get that law - and everyone else be damned. Heck, I'm not even ashamed to admit that.

Edited by JAB
I've actually started adopting this attitude a little more, lately. I used to be more interested in doing the 'right' thing but have come to realize that if everyone else is fighting for what they want or whatever benefits them the most and I am pushing for what is 'right', even if it runs counter to my best interests, then no one is fighting for what I want or whatever benefits me the most, which is pretty silly on my part. A fool with principles is no less a fool.

The antis don't consider what is 'right' for gun owners, only what they want. Republicans don't generally consider what is 'right' for the nation, only what they want. Same for Democrats. Trying to exist in such a milieu while staying 'above' such tactics is like agreeing to fight Mike Tyson with one arm tied behind your back, your shoestrings tied together and one ear coated in honey. To use a different but still 'pugilistic' example, sometimes the only way to keep a really short man from hitting you in the balls is to get down on his level.

So, yeah, if it comes down to it, I'll take a law that blocks employers from interfering with the ability of law abiding employees to be best equipped for self defense on their way to and from work any way I can get that law - and everyone else be damned. Heck, I'm not even ashamed to admit that.

I think most of us feel that way at one time or another...fighting for what is "right" is often a lonely place to be - but I don't think this particular issue is a what is "right" vs what is good for me (and everyone else be dammed as it was put in the post you quoted) issue.

I see this issue being about what is/isn't a reasonable accommodation when one entity's "rights" (in this case, employers who provide parking lots for their employees) and the "rights" of another entity (an employee) to be able to retain his right to control what is kept inside his vehicle.

I would submit, and I think it correct to say, that no one's "right" to anything automatically supersede the rights of someone else. But, rights do, on occasion, "bump" into each other...when that happens, if the two parties involved can't solve the problem on their own then it will usually fall on "society" to step in and try to find a way to accommodate both parties without unnecessarily trampling on either person's rights.

None of the "parking lot bills" currently circulating are perfect but I don't believe any of them present an unnecessary burden or unseasonable curtailment of anyone's "property rights".

Edited by RobertNashville

lol... You know what - I can respect that. At least you recognize your position for what it is, and know how/why you got there. And it's sad anyone is put into the position to have to make that call, isn't it?

Personally, I just can't toss aside my convictions... yet. Who knows - I might be right there with you, eventually.

I spoke with Mike yesterday about this bill, HB0355, and he's having problems getting Republican support for the bill. To date he hasn't been able to get one single Republican co-sponsor for it. Please call your Reps. and lets get more support for this bill, especially if your Rep. is Republican. I really don't want this bill to get killed or withdrawn for lack of support.

Guest nicemac
I spoke with Mike yesterday about this bill, HB0355, and he's having problems getting Republican support for the bill. To date he hasn't been able to get one single Republican co-sponsor for it. Please call your Reps. and lets get more support for this bill, especially if your Rep. is Republican. I really don't want this bill to get killed or withdrawn for lack of support.

Thanks Phillip. I just sent my representative (another, either third or fourth) email asking why he isn't supporting it (or responding). I emailed my state senator the same day I emailed my rep. the first time and he personally called me back the same afternoon. My representative is apparently too busy to deal with us little people.

Guest mwentllc

The Republicans do not want the Democrats to steal their thunder but Methany also will not present his bill. It is probably going to be another year without a parking lot bill.

The Republicans do not want the Democrats to steal their thunder but Methany also will not present his bill. It is probably going to be another year without a parking lot bill.

It is agravating that "thunder" means more than actually getting something worthwhile accomplished. However tomorrow, April 6th, HB 2021 by Joshua Evans, a REPUBLICAN, will be heard in the House Judiciary General Sub-committee. It is a parking lot bill. Hopefully because it was introduced by a Republican, it will have a chance. I spoke with his office assistant last week and he said that Rep. Evans does NOT plan to roll the bill.

Both his bill and HB 0355 by Mr. McDonald have areas that need some tweeking. Actually in my opinion if the two bills were combined, they would make a fairly good bill.

In any case, phone calls and emails to the House Judiciary General Sub-committee, AND to your own representative asking them to support this bill in the committee will be needed. At this time I am plannning to drive to Nashville in hopes of speaking in the sub-committee hearing.