Heading to the gun show, looking for a 1911

Backon4

I'm heading to the gun show and gonna pick up a 1911. Shot my brothers and really liked it. Was never really a fan but figured it's a good idea to have something that magazines are plentiful and if SHTF ammo may be easy enough to pick up off of dead guys, lol. He paid for the parts to make my lee pro 1000 load 45acp so I figured I can reload a bunch and just stock pile it. I figure I won't shoot it much but it will be a good go to gun.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a 1911 then got into reloading so I could afford to shoot it more. Then another 1911 showed up. It is a vicious and addictive cycle. Good luck with your purchase!

+1, I reload for less than 15 cents a round. If not I couldn't afford to shoot as much as I do. Another benefit is the quality of rounds is better than store bought ammo.

Dolomite

If you can make it to Greenbrier from Columbia sometime I recommend you go to Guns and Leather. I haven't seen a selection of 1911s so large in one place. They also have fair prices and are good people to deal with. Their selection runs the whole range of prices, plus you can put your hands on a bunch in one place to see how they feel. If this is your first one I would recommend a full size government 5" model. They tend to be very reliable and don't need recoil spring changes quite as often as shorter barrelled 1911s, muzzle flip and recoil are tad more managable too. In fact I would even recommend getting a Rock Island with decent sights, they tend to be at the lower end of the price range. This way you have a good shooting basic 1911 that over time if you want you can upgrade internals as you learn how the gun operates and best feels for you. I'm sort of a cheapskate and out of the 10 or 12 1911s I have had I only had a couple in the 1,000.00 range. I have just as much fun tuning up the less expensive ones or old beaters. I did some action work to an older friend's Armscor 1911 that was given to him as a gift. That particular gun was uncanningly accurate, and priced right even if it hadn't been a gift. Remember there is a big difference in feel between a 1911 with a flat mainspring housing and one with an arched mainspring housing, but those housings can easily be changed. Also if you find a good deal but don't like the trigger reach or feel of the trigger itself, there are several dozen different styles of 1911 triggers with varying lengths of reach. In fact you can buy a long squared off blank and make your own trigger. Triggers are pretty easily changed and fitted by the kitchen table armorer. I really don't know of any other pistol that has so many options you yourself can apply at the kitchen table after a little study. If you buy a used 1911 you might as well go to Wolf Gunsprings and order fresh springs or get a set of the springs from Wilson Combat. And if you have some MALFs after putting in fresh springs always take a look at magazines or the mag spring itself. The right mag in the right 1911 make a good team, the converse - not so much. My latest project is pictured. It is really nothing but a collection of parts that were in pretty rough shape. Can't beat a free gun if it can be made to work, and even a 1911 like this can be made to be a serviceable combat handgun or a great base for a .22 conversion.

LessBeerPresentationGrade.jpg

i bought my first 1911 at a hardware store on donleson...good people there... burkshire hardware or something like that... RIA 1911A1C tactical, its the compact tactical... i was pleased with the purchase, OTD for around 470, figured it was a good starter, i did see something at the gun show in nashville that caught my eye also... ATI stainless FX titan, the fit and finish where damn good... it was priced a little high though 6 something, when i got home started browsing the net and found them for around 520...action was super smooth and no wiggle or gaps with the slide and frame... REALLY thinking of getting one if i dont splurge for a sig p238 (baby 1911)