Shipping handguns in state

Guest smokinyoda

Guest smokinyoda

I know you can ship long guns in state (TN) without going through a FFL but what about handguns? All I could find was that you could if you used a common carrier, not the USPS. What is a common carrier? Would that be UPS or Fed-Ex? How does everyone else do this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does UPS ever give you any trouble?

Depends on where you are.

UPS will only accept handguns at a main hub with a customer service counter.

UPS in Murfreesboro would not even accept a long gun shipment from me being shipped to Chattanooga. They said I had to have an FFL.

They were going to refuse taking my shipment of a handgun that was being sent to Smith & Wesson until I pointed out that Smith & Wesson sent me the overnight label.

Their “security officer†told me that they will not accept firearms shipments from a non FFL unless it is being shipped back to the manufacturer for repair.

Of course that is incorrect; but when I called corporate they would no nothing because a firearm was involved.

You are required by Federal law to notify any shipper that you are shipping a firearm. Maybe you will have better luck than I had.

Guest gcrookston

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/q_and_a.pdf

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

I find it best to reference this topic right from the horse's mouth.

I've shipped and received quite a few firearms over the years. It seems about everytime I get the counter people trained at my Local PO or shipping center, I get a new batch and have to start all over again. The above link will take you directly to a PDF format list of Q&A from the BATF.

My experience mirrors the above respondents, although on more than one occassion I have had a manager call their suppervisor (even at shipping centers).

In my experience, the best way (and also the most expensive), is FEDX. FedX requires firearms to go overnight. But I believe the insurance limit was something like $700.00. UPS could insure up to $2,500.00.

I was very fortunate when living in Littleton Colorado that a packaging store was right next to the main post office, and I would mail long guns registered mail. This requires they be boxed and fully rapped in packaging paper and that paper tape (not packing tape), be used. The biggest hassle was packing, so I'd let the store do it, then walk it next door to the PO.

In the few hundred transactions I did on gunbroker in 2004-2005, I never shipped directly to an individual, no matter where they were located. For my own piece of mind, I required receipt and transfer be done through their local FFL with the recipient paying for the transfer.

Some FFL's are hesitant to receive a firearm from an individual, but usually I was able to talk them into it by explaining who I was, what I was doing and providing them with a copy of my Driver's License along with a signed "Statement of Final Disposition" -- basically declaring I was selling a legally owned gun "X" to buyer "Y" through FFL "Z".

I always put the original inked FFL back inside the packaging with the sales receipt (not required), and brought a copy of the FFL with me when shipping to show to the clerk that I was sending the firearm to the appropriate address. I would often times bring the above Q&A from the ATF with me with the appropriate page items highlighted (page 177).

Other than the few dozen times some clerk or manager had to defer to their supervisor for clarification, I've never had any problems.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest TN.Frank

Regaurdless of the law UPS is still a pain in the butt to try and ship a firearms thru. It's like they're all brainwashed into thinking that Guns are Bad or something. I'd rather drive half way across the State to do a FTF then ship with UPS.

Never say Gun. Tell them it is machined gun parts. They will ask if it is a functioning gun, say no. Take the firing pin or some easy to remove part, ie the slide or barrel, and ship it seperatly. Only the serial number frame has to be overnight. I've never had a problem with UPS that way.

Guest smokinyoda
Regaurdless of the law UPS is still a pain in the butt to try and ship a firearms thru. It's like they're all brainwashed into thinking that Guns are Bad or something. I'd rather drive half way across the State to do a FTF then ship with UPS.

Thanks for everyones help. I have decided to drive 2 hours to pick up my new purchase, rather than ask the seller to go through anything close to the nightmare some of you have described.

Man I love this site! :D

When I shipped my xd to lasermax for a seized slide from a broken battery cap in the laser.No gun was ever mentioned to ups for the round trip,and no problems on pick up at my door or delivery to my door(this was lasermax's doing not mine,they sent the call tag)

I also know someone who shipped a handgun ups by dropping it off at a ups box(like a usps blue mail box but ups brown box)again no gun was stated and all was fine.Im not saying dont tell them,that would be wrong.

Guest canynracer

sooooo......If I wanted to buy a gun, say in Nashville or Winchester, do I HAVE to drive there even if I buy from an FFL?

how does that work...

or say, I wanted to do a private party from someone, can they just ship it to me?

Never say Gun. Tell them it is machined gun parts. They will ask if it is a functioning gun, say no. Take the firing pin or some easy to remove part, ie the slide or barrel, and ship it seperatly. Only the serial number frame has to be overnight. I've never had a problem with UPS that way.

Failure to notify the carrier you are shipping a firearm whether it works or not is a crime.

I’m not going to lie and I’m not going to commit a crime because someone is too lazy to know their own company rules or the law.

sooooo......If I wanted to buy a gun, say in Nashville or Winchester, do I HAVE to drive there even if I buy from an FFL?

how does that work...

or say, I wanted to do a private party from someone, can they just ship it to me?

An FFL can’t ship to you; you have to go there.

Any Tennessee resident can sell a firearm to any other Tennessee resident on a private party sale.

Guest Nativoffla

I will meet anyone halfway in Tn F2F, or if they have a IDPA match I would drive to it on the weekends and do F2F. rather than mess with the headaches of a carrier. But I had one fella field strip, and put it in 2 seperate box's. for shipping. :)