HCP Class Study Guide

Guest rt_steve

Guest DKenyon28

Just finished it earlier today and the written part is sooooo easy. I can't stress how easy it is enough. If she has fired a handgun before, then the shooting portion should be easy also.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my original point exactly.

My statement was simply: "Unless it has changed in last couple years, that's 12 rounds at 3,7,15 yards, and 12 rounds at instructor discretion."

So your statement that "Mine was 12 rounds at 3 yards, 12 rounds at 10 yards, 12 rounds at 15 yards, and 12 yards at whatever distance we chose" is:

A. Incorrect, and the middle distance of those required was actually 7 yards.

B. Correct, and the instructor placed the required distances incorrectly

C. Correct, and the TNDOS written distance requirements have changed in the last 2-3 years.

I suspect A. or B. not that I care one iota, merely responding to your comments as a matter of logic and fact.

- OS

We DID have a guy that got kicked out of our class during the range test for unsafely handling his gun– for the third time that day.

OT

I had to kick a currently sitting judge out of a class one time for the same reason.

/OT - back to your regularly scheduled programming

I bought my wife a LCR over a year ago but she has always found an excuse for not being able to take the HCP class. She finally revealed to me that it is her phobia of tests that is making her put off the class. She is very smart; she has a Master's degree with a 4.0 GPA, but she does not like going into test situations unprepared. I have tried to convince her that she has nothing to worry about but she is still nervous. Does anyone have an outline of subjects covered in the class? I AM NOT LOOKING FOR TEST QUESTIONS!! If she is given the opportunity to study in advance she will go into the class as knowledgeable on the material as the instructor.

Again this post is not a solicitation of test questions but rather a request for topics covered in the class. It has been quite a while since I took mine and I don't remember much.

Also, I remember the shooting distances were from 3-15 yards but if anyone knows the number of shots taken from each distance so we can recreate her shooting test before that would be great!

Wow, your wife might be my sister separated from me at birth. I too have a Masters, 4.0, passed the CPA on the first try, etc. I kept putting the HCP class off because I was terrified of failing the written and/or shooting part. Don't know why and can't explain where the fear came from, just know it was there and STRONG. Wound up the only one in class to actually get 100% right on the written and I got 48/50 shots on target.

My Dad and I took it together, he was kinda my security blanket. Like I said I understand her fear and I've taken a blue million tests. I learned a LOT in my class and really enjoyed it. He went over a few things before he handed out the test. Basically a , "Don't let #24 throw you. The answer is True, but someone will still miss it." Half the answers were found in the posters they had hanging on the wall.

Bottom line, she will not fail unless she goes postal on the range portion.

Not necessarly, that may have been the 12 rounds of instructors choice.

When I took the class we did 12 rounds weak hand at 3 yards. But every instructor is diffirent.

This is my guess. We were only allowed to load 5 rnds at a time, regardless of our gun capacity. 3, 7, 10 & 15 yds. We shot 5 rnds at each distance. At 7 yds we did a 5 shot round of chest, chest - head. Again at 7 yds we did 5 rnds of one handed strong arm, reloaded and did 5 more one handed off hand. At 3 yds we did 5 rnds of left hand in defensive position and empty gun in belly of target, we reloaded and switched hands for 5 more rnds. At 10 yds we did 5 rnds of head only. 50 rnds exact total.

Guest friesepferd

I didn't take the test in TN, but I assume the test questions are along the lines of:

(T/F) It is perfectly safe to leave a loaded gun near a child, as long as the safety is on.

(T/F) This HCP allows you to shoot people because they mocked your new haircut.

(T/F) If a police officer asks for your HCP, you must provide it to him/her.

(T/F) With a HCP, you may carry a gun into a public school at any time.

... you get the point.