AK newbie question

Guest dotsun

Hey guys,

I am planning on locating and purchasing an AK in the next couple of weeks and I have a question on the low cap/high cap thingamabob. How do I tell them apart by looking at them? Pics of the differences in the guns would be appreciated. Also any other pointers on what to look for and avoid at all costs would be helpful.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is referring to the WASR's that had the single stack mag, versus the normal double stack "high cap".

Yes, in my quest for the perfect AK for around $400 :( I see reference to this low cap/high cap gun thingie and my newbness is left wanting.

The WASR 10 only used a single stack mag. The normal high cap mag is a double stack and the magwell is wider to accommodate it. I would stay away from the single stacks unless you are skilled in machining and can widen the magwell to take the high caps.

Check out this site.

http://www.akcollectors.com/Article_Detail.php?g=content1198787574

Edited by Westwindmike
Guest ETS_Inc

It's highly unlikely you'll even find a single-stack rifle nowadays. It's not impossible, but unlikely.

If you're looking for $400, OTD, I'd consider one of these:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html

$350, plus shipping, FFL fees, and TICS check, and you should be right at $400. You're in Clinton, how far is that from Franklin? If it's not that far, I'd do your transfer for $400, OTD. ($350 for rifle, $10-15 for shipping, $10 for TICS, and $25-30 for transfer fee.)

Most of the AKs which originally were assembled as single-stack guns do not have the oval dimples in the sides of the reciever, on either side of the magwell opening... most of these guns have been machined already to accept normal capacity magazines, but the single-stack magwell openings are very narrow. If you find an AK which does not have dimples in the reciever, look as the magwell and see it the sides appear to have been ground out a bit.

Guest smokinyoda

If you just want a plain jane AK you can't beat these guys. The basic WASR-10 high cap rifle with no muzzle break or bayonet lug will run you $299 plus shipping. They also offer better equipped for slightly higher. Very good company to work with.

http://classicarms.us/

Another option would be to keep an eye out on gunbroker.com as well as the various firearms forums for a chinese AK. Most of these will use the name Norinco and are some of the best AK's on the market. They are available with both milled and stamped receivers and you can't beat the quality. Expect to pay at least $400 for a used one.

You could also purchase a Saiga and convert it to AK style. This would give you a true Russian AK as these are still manufactured in the same Russian factory that produces AK's. Many tutorials are available on this process.

If you are really handy you can purchase de-militarized parts kits, add a US made receiver and correct number of US parts and have you a nice weapon, that you assembled yourself, for under $300

Congrats on deciding to take the plunge into AK's. One of the most dependable semi autos around, and available in a wide range of calibers.