Cleaning my AR

rab

When using solvent to clean the bore and bolt will it harm the composit parts? There some lead deposit that get on the composit parts of my S&W15-22and the only way I know is use the solvent to clean it off, any help from anyone THANKS

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Ballistol. It's completely safe on all gun parts. I've used it on knives, leather gun holsters, boots, brass, wood and plastic stocks, & on plastic and rubber parts under my car hood. I've been using it around my house for years and it's really good stuff. It's a cleaner and lube in one, but will not hurt anything on your gun.

Hoppes 9 is what I use for my cleaning But I would love the get my hands on some Ballistol, before I retired I could pick a can up at work but never seen it over the counter ,where do you get yours luvmyberetta?

Thanks

Hoppes 9 is what I use for my cleaning But I would love the get my hands on some Ballistol, before I retired I could pick a can up at work but never seen it over the counter ,where do you get yours luvmyberetta?

Thanks

The only store I've found it in is Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville. It's $8.99 a can. I've seen it online, but the cheapest online store is probably Ballistol's site. I think four 6oz cans - $38 shipped.

Edited by luvmyberetta

I use Hoppes or Ballistol. Get the Ballistol in the 16oz liquid can. Midway has it for $8.99. Add your old Windex sprayer and you'll save a bunch of money versus buying a 6oz aerosol can. Ballistol is not like normal cleaners and lubes. The stuff has been standard German Army issue since 1905. Leaves a waxy feeling to steel. Softens carbon on AR15s nicely. Just spray it on and let it soak overnight. The carbon will come off easily. I usually just spray down my AR15 bolt and carrier and come back and clean them a couple of days later. Great if you use corrosive ammo as it neutralizes the corrosive salts. Also useful on leather and wood. While it will soften old cosmoline, you are still going to have to get dirty to really get cosmoline off.

I use Hoppes or Ballistol. Get the Ballistol in the 16oz liquid can. Midway has it for $8.99. Add your old Windex sprayer and you'll save a bunch of money versus buying a 6oz aerosol can. Ballistol is not like normal cleaners and lubes. The stuff has been standard German Army issue since 1905. Leaves a waxy feeling to steel. Softens carbon on AR15s nicely. Just spray it on and let it soak overnight. The carbon will come off easily. I usually just spray down my AR15 bolt and carrier and come back and clean them a couple of days later. Great if you use corrosive ammo as it neutralizes the corrosive salts. Also useful on leather and wood. While it will soften old cosmoline, you are still going to have to get dirty to really get cosmoline off.

That's a really good price. I just checked their site. The only thing that sucks is Midway wants $11 for shipping on an $8.99 item. Otherwise...:)