Carrying Handgun In Commercial Vehicle

Guest last1is4me

Guest last1is4me

Is there any kind of law prohibiting a HCP holder from carrying his weapon in a commercial vehicle as long as the vehicle owner is ok with it? I have heard it both ways from some local people, so thought I would ask here.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any kind of law prohibiting a HCP holder from carrying his weapon in a commercial vehicle as long as the vehicle owner is ok with it? I have heard it both ways from some local people, so thought I would ask here.

No TN state or federal laws and/or no TNDOT or USDOT regs against it.

Firearms in commercial vehicles are treated same as carry in personal vehicle in TN.

There may be other states that have state law against it, but I've never heard of any.

- OS

Guest HvyMtl

As far as I researched, no, I did not find any law prohibiting specifically on commercial vehicles. Just make sure wherever you are driving is permit friendly...

However, your place of employment has the right to limit the use of the vehicle. This may include policy preventing the carry of firearms in their vehicle. Will this get you arrested? Heck no. Policy is not law, but it sure can get you fired.

So, check your employer's handbook or policies (I suggest NOT asking, as most management would automatically say,"no," even if they know it is 100% incorrect...)

and see if there is anything about the prohibition of carry in the vehicle.

well straight from the horses mouth so to speak USDOT answer to carrying firearms in a commercial vehicle

Tn code

39-17-1315

(:cool: (1) An individual, corporation or business entity is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by employees otherwise authorized by this subsection (:shrug: on premises owned, operated or managed by the individual, corporation or business entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted or otherwise noticed to all affected employees.

So if your boss says ok or is silent yes you can however if you are a truck driver such as I am and you happen to cross into states that are not so friendly to firearms you could just be breaking a law .

well straight from the horses mouth so to speak USDOT answer to carrying firearms in a commercial vehicle

Tn code

39-17-1315

(:cool: (1) An individual, corporation or business entity is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by employees otherwise authorized by this subsection (:shrug: on premises owned, operated or managed by the individual, corporation or business entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted or otherwise noticed to all affected employees.

I sure don't know how you got to that particular part of TCA from the Federal DOT site link you posted, but anyway, that's a section about written directive and permit to carry handguns by police officers, magistrates, constables, and etc, and has nothing whatsoever to do with transportation or commercial vehicles.

So if your boss says ok or is silent yes you can however if you are a truck driver such as I am and you happen to cross into states that are not so friendly to firearms you could just be breaking a law .

Of course, as I said, handgun carry is determined by state laws.

I don't know of any which prohibit carry simply because of being in a commercial vehicle, however.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY interstate trucking company that doesn't ban its drivers from having firearms, including owner operators leased to them. That's a matter of employment though, and not state law.

- OS