Wanting a handgun shooting course in Mid TN

Guest simboden

Guest simboden

Hey everybody! I'm looking for a handgun course in Mid TN. I've been shooting for a little while and already have my carry permit. But, I think some formal training would be beneficial. So, I'm asking for recommendations for courses/schools near Nashville, maybe one that offers advanced courses. I'd also like to take a defensive shotgun courses at some point too, so if that was offered, it'd be even better.

Also, how many magazines should I have? My uncle had only 5 mags with him and told me how he was slowing the class down.

Any other advice or things to think about regarding taking a course?

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur. Good people and quality training. BTW that is some ultra high speed, super duper training if having "only" 5 magazines is a drag on the class.

I started to comment on that... My personal experience is that the really good classes are concentrating on trigger control and running the gun. Really high round count classes (with the exception on some truly high speed stuff) are just about sending rounds down range, not becoming a better shooter. Now, I usually carry 10 mags to a class but not to keep up. I just prefer to not have to stuff mags every time I come off the line. I find that just sitting, listening and reflecting of the most recent lesson/course of fire really helps me absorb the training.

Mark

Guest Plainsman

I'm going to be taking a course with Shootrite this year. I cannot speak of its quality first hand at this point, but Tiger Mckee is a well known instructor and has much in common with Clint Smith. I'm in the process of reading his book, The Book of Two Guns right now and I like it a lot. He's really not too far away either, being in NE AL (Langston, AL)...it beats going to Oregon for Thunder Ranch!

Shootrite Firearms Academy

Tiger is a good guy. I've enjoyed the classes I've taken with him. I've taken more notes in his classes than any other. Not sure if that is because he gives more time or maybe he just has more note worthy stuff to talk about.

Mark

Guest simboden
I concur. Good people and quality training. BTW that is some ultra high speed, super duper training if having "only" 5 magazines is a drag on the class.

I can't say for sure about what kind of class it was, but glad to know if I pick up a couple more mags, I should be good:D

Also, thanks for all of the quick replies, I'll check out some of these courses and maybe I'll be able to convince the little lady to take an intro course and get her carry permit.

Guest Gurnard

Limited experience here but I will second The Range Inc. (other than the concealed carry class it's the only place I've been).

I've gone through 3 handgun courses there and couldn't be more pleased with what I gained.