Picking a new folder..

I'm sure these types of threads come up often, but hey.. We're here to talk about knives, right?

I'm looking for a new folder for EDC. My current EDC is a Spyderco Tenacious. I really have no issues with it, but just looking for something to add to the rotation.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Purpose: EDC - Opening packages, etc..

Blade type: Combo-edge or plain edge.

Price: $75 or less preferably. (Let's say $100 max.)

Blade length: 3" - Legal limit (open to shorter blades perhaps..)

Lock type: Not picky.

Blade steel: I'm not enough of a knife person (yet) to know specifics. Something reasonable from a quality perspective.

Prefer USA made, but will consider others.

Other criteria: Light weight and either very thin or with a clip that rides "deep" in the pocket. I also like knives that are relatively easy and fast to deploy with one-hand.

Give me some options, folks. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$10 Gerber EAB. Perfect package opener. Never needs sharpening, just change blade.

41830.jpg

$20 Boker Subcom F. Plus, it's a fine money clip:

B-01BO589.jpg

- OS

I'd never seen the little Gerber EAB before. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but I bet it would be lethal to those plastic packages everything comes in these days. :D

I've looked at the Kershaw Scallion. I like it.

Interesting looking Benchmade as well. You're right about the Tenacious. Mine hasn't seen any super tough tasks yet, but it seems to be holding up fine.

Got my son a Kershaw OD-1.... about $35 (give or take) on Amazon. US made, Sandvik steel, very fast opening, lightweight, plain edge. I'm impressed. I carry/own Kershaws, CRKT, Benchmade, Microtechs, and a custom made. Even with all of those, I still like the OD-1. Maybe one of the best values out there. The screw that holds it together loosened a bit (he sits and flips it open and closed a lot). So, removed the screw, put a drop of blue LocTite on it, no more problems. Other than that, no complaints. I also bought a CRKT Ripple at the Blade Show last year. It's a great knife too, but for less money, the OD-1 may be the winner! The Ripple has a ball bearing pivot and is very smooth. These new flippers that don't use any kind of spring are really nice.

I 100% agree fred this is what I meant to post the 0350 and it is cheaper Kershaw Zero Tolerance 0350 Folder w/ SpeedSafe Knife

I'm seriously considering picking up one of these ZT blades just to see what the fuss is about. Seems like no one has the 0350 in stock though. The Botach Tactical link seems to indicate they have it, but that doesn't mean much with them.. Other vendors seem to be out of stock.

In the meantime, I filled out the "stock check" form on botachs site. Perhaps I'll get good news from them.

I'm seriously considering picking up one of these ZT blades just to see what the fuss is about. Seems like no one has the 0350 in stock though. The Botach Tactical link seems to indicate they have it, but that doesn't mean much with them.. Other vendors seem to be out of stock.

In the meantime, I filled out the "stock check" form on botachs site. Perhaps I'll get good news from them.

PM me if you want one, I am friends with a Kershaw Master dealer who will hook you up

PM me if you want one, I am friends with a Kershaw Master dealer who will hook you up

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to willis68 for the assistance. New knife en route!

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Congrats, how do you like it?

Sadly, I only got to inspect it for a minute since I had to get to the office. First impressions are: heavy, well constructed, and quite sharp. Size wise it doesn't differ greatly from my Tenacious. The ZT is a bit wider but not too big for EDC.

I was impressed by the lock up. Extremely solid. The cat jumped up and ran out of the room the first time I opened it. Apparently he does not approve of the noise it makes.

Guest That Guy

Man, I tell ya, I've own high-end Wilson, Benchmade, SOG, Cold Steel, CRKT, etc.. blades for carry. However, the best inexpensive and small knife I own is a 5.11 Tactical. I had the option to add it dirt cheap to an order and I figured I would just use it as my auxiliary/boot or cardboard knife. Lately I've found myself picking it up more and more. I've got the DRT ($30), but liked it so much for the price I just ordered the Alpha Scout.

If you're just looking for a box-cutter, the Gerber EAB mentioned above is an excellent pick and you can just change the blade when it get nicked or dull.

Tactical Knives | 5.11 Tactical