Looking for a handgun recommendation

Branket

Well I just got back from handling about 12-15 different handguns, and if I had to make a purchase based solely on how it fit in my hand it would be a close call between a Springfield XD9 and a Sig P229. I know the Sig is out of my original price range but I figured I would look at what I could get for a little bit more money.

On a side note I still have not been able to locate a basic pistol class in the Knoxville area, coal creek armory offers them but they said they will rarely get enough people interested to warrant giving the class. Well the search continues I guess.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
Well I just got back from handling about 12-15 different handguns, and if I had to make a purchase based solely on how it fit in my hand it would be a close call between a Springfield XD9 and a Sig P229. I know the Sig is out of my original price range but I figured I would look at what I could get for a little bit more money.

On a side note I still have not been able to locate a basic pistol class in the Knoxville area, coal creek armory offers them but they said they will rarely get enough people interested to warrant giving the class. Well the search continues I guess.

Well you might see if they (one of the employees) will just spend an hour or so with you to get you more familiar with handling, loading, and of course safe operation. Offer to pay them. The carry course will also help you with this but not as basic.

Nice choices on guns though!

if I had to make a purchase based solely on how it fit in my hand it would be a close call between a Springfield XD9 and a Sig P229.

On a side note I still have not been able to locate a basic pistol class in the Knoxville area

While I like both handguns, I think the SIG is a better choice for carry.

I'm really surprised you can't find a carry class around Knoxville. I'd get on the phone and call of the gun shops. Might try the police department too. A lot of officers teach classes.

Guest Voodoo_1

Branket,

The Sig P229 is a very fine handgun and would serve you well. My brother-in-law, whom I shoot at the range with, has a Sig P226 and is very happy with his. Like I posted, I also had a budget but spent the additional $150 and have never looked back. The Sig P229 would be wise investment!:lol:

While I like both handguns, I think the SIG is a better choice for carry.

I'm really surprised you can't find a carry class around Knoxville. I'd get on the phone and call of the gun shops. Might try the police department too. A lot of officers teach classes.

I can find plenty of carry classes, but I can not find just a basic pistol safety class. I don't know what kind of instruction the carry class contains but I'm under the impression that I would need at least some knowledge of a pistol before I took it.

Sorry, I misread your post.

But if you just want the carry class, it does not require any other prerequisite classes. We had one lady in my carry class who hardly knew where the trigger was. She passed easily.

The shooting qualification part of the carry class is a joke. Mostly you get familiar with Tennessee Code and you do get a bit of safety info too. Very basic safety stuff.

Here's a new question. How old do you have to be to purchase a handgun in Tennessee? Everything I could find online says 18 but all the shops I've been to say 21. Is there perhaps a difference between buying from a store and buying from a private party? Or is this simply a store policy that most stores seem to have? I searched through the state legislature and statues but could not find a definite answer.

You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL, that's federal law. You must be 18 to own a handgun in Tennessee. I'm not sure on the technical side of private party transfers, but I know you can receive a handgun as a gift once you're 18. I don't think you're supposed to sell a handgun to an 18, 19, or 20 year old in private party sales, but I assume it happens.

you might want to look on the firing line for a quality used sig if that fits your budget better..

I know of one right now being sold by a sailor in norfolk.

dang reasonable price, with modifications (trigger and meps) done by a certified sig armorer.

they also have trader ratings..like here.

I don't know if that'll help you..but its worth a spin if it does!

Guest Archimedes

"law prohibits the intentional, knowing, or reckless sale, loan, or gift of a firearm to a person who is a minor or intoxicated. A licensed dealer cannot sell a firearm to a person who is addicted to alcohol or ineligible to receive a firearm under 18 U.S.C. 922"

{(:D It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -- (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;}

~From http://www.statemaster.com/graph/gov_gun_law_pro_per-government-gun-laws-prohibited-persons

(B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

Bottom line, as I understand it is that you can't buy a handgun until you are 21. A parent or legal guardian can give you one, but someone else can not.

If you did a FTF purchase at age 20, it appears you and the seller would be in violation of Federal law. You would knowingly be buying a handgun under age and he would be recklessly selling it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Glockman

branket, have you looked at guns-n-more here in knoxville . they are real helpful & have good prices!! much more so than coal creek armory i think! of course i vote for a glock ! but sigs are excellent also

I haven't been there and I thought I had been to most gun stores in the area. Where is it located at? I'm taking my basic pistol/HCP class next saturday so this is a good time to find out about new shops.

They can be hard to find. We have a couple of shops around here with them. Most people will just settle for a cheaper gun, like a Glock.

Lots of quality stuff about H&Ks is hidden. You have ti do some digging to understand why they are more expensive.

Guest Boomhower

Have you seen our thread about the get together on the 21st of this month? I can't remember if you've responded or not, but I'm in the market for my first CCW but am going to wait until I see what others out there have. Skip over towards the last pages for the main details.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644

As far as classes, how about Phantom6 on here. He teaches (or aleast I think) some classes in Oak Ridge (maybe?)....He's putting together the meeting place this month, and he'll be there so you could talk to him a little about it. I plan on it.....Here's the site.

http://firearmsclasses.com/classes.htm

there are several instructors that frequent this site! Phantom6 is one, there are quite a few others as well!

if you want instruction, the quickest way to get a poll of who has the credentials to do the instruction, or the time, is to throw up a new thread asking for instruction there in Knoxville by one of the forum members.:up: