Introduction of the new Ruger LCP .380

Guest jackdog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steelharp

Would it be possible to get out of caliber discussion? The thread was about the new Ruger vs. the Kel-Tec, and I, for one, would really like to hear those comparisons. Perhaps the person that started the thread would like that as well...

Seems that the new Ruger product "borrows" more than a bit from Kel-Tec and George Kelgren, the genius who produced the smallest locked-breech [not blow-back] pistol known at that time...more than ten years ago.

The price point of the new Ruger "clone" will make or break the entry, but the marketing might of Sturm, Ruger could make it a success.

Two key questions:

When will the Ruger product be widely available?

How much will we have to pay to be "early-adopters" of the knock-off?

I'm a patient man. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boomhower

This sprung off of another thread. Ruger is introducing a new little pocket pistol. I'll be interested to get my hands on one of these and compare it to my Kel-Tec P3AT to see if Ruger produces any better quality out of the box........BTW, do you think it resembles anything? :D

Ruger's webpage

Video

Guest woodsltc

My take -- it's simply a copy of the Kel Tec's P-3AT.

It's slightly heavier and wider than the Kel Tec and costs more. My Kel Tec works fine so I see no need to consider the Ruger. They will sell a lot of them though, because there a lot of people that simply like Rugers -- but the Kel Tec is still the better buy for the price IMO.

Don

Exactly what we need, another .380 :D A bad clone of a great pistol, more expensive and worse customer service, cool. I dont think much of their new SR9 either, looks like a European clone. :clap:

.77" vs. .82" width really doesn't sound like a huge difference... I'm very interested to see how it fares in terms of reliablity. If the Ruger has better fit and finish than the Kel-Tec (which frequently needs some fluffing and buffing), then it should be a winner regardless of the small price difference.

If anything it shows that Ruger is ready to agressively enter the CCW market that they let slip by them for years. Everything they come out with will be compared to what is currently out there. It's really all they hav eto draw from right now. It might take a few years before they come out with anything really "new" or different.

I would guess their best hope now is to provide products that are similar to what is out there now but with better fit and finish (Like Molon suggests.) and with their "branding". Time will tell.

Not a real .380 fan myself.

Guest Steelharp

I at present do not have a .380 (had one, a SIG 230, but it's gone), and I'd really like to see one of these. I had a Kel-Tec, didn't care much for it. If this is a little beefier, and has a better trigger, I just might be up for it...

Did I just say "better trigger" in reference to a Ruger??? WASSAMATTERWITME??? :clap:

I suspect both the Kel-Tec and Ruger will be competitively priced.

For right now, I'd have to pick the Kel-Tec rather than be a guinea pig for a new gun, but that could change if it turns out Ruger actually did some additional engineering work that makes it actually better than the Kel-Tec, rather than just stealing a design that has been tested and refined over the years.

I do think it is odd that Ruger is using Kel-Tec's old extractor design. I'll also be interested in seeing if Ruger has a removable ejector or an ejector that actually does something. In going from gen 1 to gen 2 in the P3AT, Kel-Tec eliminated a working ejector, but kept the slot it fit into and fills it with a blank metal piece. I discovered by accident that the ejector wasn't needed in the gen 1. It fell out when cleaning and I didn't notice it was gone until after I shot it the next time. The handgun worked perfectly without it.

If they both turn out to be functionally equivalent handguns, I'd have to buy the Kel-Tec. I don't like rewarding such obvious thievery and I do like to reward smaller companies that are innovative. Plus the Kel-Tec is slightly smaller. Since its normal carry spot is my back pocket, smaller (even if not by much) is better. I'd feel a lot better if Ruger is making their gun under a license from Kel-Tec, but that's not the story we are getting from Ruger.