Remington Golden Saber Bonded 180 gr. in G27?

Hey Guys,

I just ordered some Remington Golden Saber Bonded 180 gr. JHP's for carrying in my Glock 27. I have mainly used Federal Hyrdashoks in the past, but I've heard some good things about these Remingtons. I shoot 180 gr. for practice so I thought I'd order the same grain. Do you guys think this is a suitable self defense round? I see a lot of you using lower grain ammo and I was just wondering if I made a good choice. Would appreciate any feedback.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! :) Thanks Guys!

These weren't cheap and I second guessed my decision after I placed the order (I ordered 150 rounds)......but now I feel better about my choice. I'm going to shoot two mags full when I get them and I figure if I can get all rounds into the "kill zone" at 15 yds. I'll be good to go. Hopefully they'll be just like the Hyrashoks I purchased when I got my G23.....still unused after 10 years!

Carrying a gun is just like having insurance......you hope you never need to use it, but you'll be happy you had it if you do :P

Guest Shooting Coach

According to Remington, the "bonded" Golden Sabre is designed to expand properly AFTER penetrating a barrier such as a windshield or car door.

Sounds good for some PD use.

Just because PD uses it does not mean it is the best for the Armed Citizen. Sometimes, PD uses stuff because it is low bid!

The standard Golden Sabre is just fine for the Armed Citizen.

According to Remington, the "bonded" Golden Sabre is designed to expand properly AFTER penetrating a barrier such as a windshield or car door.

Sounds good for some PD use.

Just because PD uses it does not mean it is the best for the Armed Citizen. Sometimes, PD uses stuff because it is low bid!

The standard Golden Sabre is just fine for the Armed Citizen.

What about a barrier such as a heavy coat or clothing, or how about my front door for that matter?? I don't know and really don't care what the PD uses.....they are, for the most part, useless to me out here in the hills far away from town......and would be useless in just about any situation where I would actually have to draw and/or use my weapon. And I don't see how this stuff would be low bid for any PD compared to other JHP's.....it cost me a small fortune for 150 rds!! :rock:

One thing I will say that Im sure you will hear sooner or later is practice with what you carry. What is important is IMO that you practice with the same weight and charge round that you carry. If you carry 180s practice with them. Good luck and be safe:)

Guest Shooting Coach

The Golden Sabre is not low bid. Often, PD is forced to use low bid stuff.

As far as folks in heavy or light clothing, the standard Golden sabre tests at the top of the heap for both applications. The 40 cal 165 gr Golden Sabre has the ONLY "Optimum" rating for both light and heavy clothed applications by the Intl' Wound Ballistics Assoc' of any ammo they have tested to date.

Remington definitely has their act together with the Golden Sabre ammo.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sling

The Gold Saber is an awesome cartridge. If you reload (I reload 9mm) its actually a pretty cool target round. Incredibly accurate! ;) Plus they're way cheaper the load than to buy right out. Granted its not the same exact load but nevertheless....

Reloaders bench sells 124 Gr Gold Sabers for 11 bucks for 100 of em. Not sure what they run for 10mm and 45...

And +1 for its penetration capability. Did some tests with an old junked out car in the woods through autoglass and the door. Very interesting stuff.

Guest mjwehrman

I pretty much agree with everyone else here. Carried GSB's in my XD .45 for over a year now. Put only about 2 mags through it when I first picked them up to make sure there were no feeding problems. Great round. No regrets.