Simulated distance?

Guest mosinon

Guest mosinon

I've got a buddy ready to ship out to Afghanistan. A day ago he had to qualify with the M 16. I asked about yardage and he told me it was simulated to 300 yards.

I'm not exactly sure what that means but from what I can gather it means he shot a smaller target at a closer range. In other words "If you can hit this at 100 yards you can hit at 300" (don't know the actual yardage they used)

This makes sense to me optically, but not when it comes to shooting. If you're shooting at something one hundred yards away it, to me, seems to be easier to hit the 100 yard mini target than the full size 300 yard target.

The projectile isn't in the air as long and so forth. But I am slow with this stuff, so I am asking you long gunners if this is a fair method of training.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mosinon

Well, I haven't seen the original but this is a pic of the target he shot:

aOD8X.jpg

You can't tell a lot from that, except that it was 5.56 ammo so the holes can tell you a bit about the target size, but it still seems weird to me.

Edited by mosinon

Battle sight zero is roughly 250 meters in the military. So you zero your rifle at 25 meters. The bullet crosses path again at the 250 on it's way down.

Look at the 300m target. The aim point circle is high so the bullet will get center mass in real distance. As is hitting high at 50m aiming at the circle. Bullet is still rising until 250.

Edited by Tncobra
Guest Broomhead

Appleseed uses a 25m target with simulated distances of 100, 200, 300, and 400 meters. While it is almost as hard as shooting a target at the actual distance, those small targets are hard to hit. While simulated distances won't teach you how to dope/adjust for windage or come-ups, it does teach you the fundamentals. I can tell from that target that your friend is a good shot. Those groups are really pretty nice. Was the shooting done using a rest of some kind or was it unsupported position shooting?

Hwn I was in the USAF we often used the smaller targets to simulate the longer distance range because most airbases just didn't have the available real estate to build the longer ranges. I think it's a good "make do" situation. May not be as good as shooting the actual distances, but given the llimitations, it is an ok compromise for the average shooter. Snipers and those expected to shoot greater distances were trained differently, usually borrowing range time at a more suitable range.

At a 1,000 inch range (25 meters) the bullet will impact at the same height above ground that it will at 250 meters. This is what it was many years ago when I was in. This is with the M-16 platform also.

May have changed some now because of different barrels and newer ammo.

That is some nice shooting!

Thanks. I have a Sabre Defence Massad Ayoob Pro that I replaced the carry handle with a RRA dominator 2 Eotech 512 mount. So I had to zero the new rear iron sight on the RRA mount before I mounted the Eotech. That AR out shoots me, it was money well spent.